Brewer Fanatic

Advice for concerts at the Rave

bigjase
I was thinking about going to a concert at The Rave in Milwaukee later this year. Has anyone ever sat in the "VIP Balcony?" I was thinking about getting tickets for up there, but I'm not sure how the view is/how close you are to the artist. Anyone have advice?

The VIP balcony surrounds the floor on the second level. Personally I try to stay away from the rave, and have never been up there. I can't comment on the view, but if you go up there, you will avoid getting pushed around or ending up in a mosh pit. If you really want to be close to the artist you may want to get floor seats.

if you go up there you will either be on either side of the stage, or way in the back of the hall.

If you really want to be close to the artist you may want to get floor seats.
I love seeing shows at The Rave and it has been a few years so it may have changed, but I don't recall there ever being floor seats, it's just a wide open room.

The balcony/VIP thing sounds alright--isn't there some sort of unlimited food/drink package as well, or is that what this is?

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I did the VIP balcony for Seether last year. I got my tickets real early too thinking I could get in the middle section. When we got there, they told me it was a first come first serve seating. Got 2 free drinks, no food, ridiculous parking lot price, and bad side stage seats because the balcony was packed. I'll never do VIP again.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

I have been to the Rave a few times and the one time that I did do the VIP thing it sucked. It is first come first serve and the view isn't all that great. The other times I have been on the floor and that is perfect.

I love seeing shows at The Rave and it has been a few years so it may have changed, but I don't recall there ever being floor seats, it's just a wide open room.

i should have said on the floor.

The rave was fun when I was younger, but now i would rather go see a concert at the pabst, riverside, or turner any day of the week.

They do have packages for the just a balcony seat, or you can do the all you can drink package. Its about 60 dollars more so you really need to get your drink on http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

don't forget beer more expensive than miller park...
No really. It really is. Not sure of the exact prices but last time I was there I paid $19 for 2 small plastic cups of beer and 2 sodas. Mixed drinks are around 10 bucks too I think. This place is a craphole of the highest order. I love the pictures on their website that somehow make this dump look like Buckingham Palace. Do they still have the two drink minimum "free tickets"? The ones that somehow cost $25, because you know a small plastic cup of beer costs $12.50, duh. What else, a service fee even if you buy your tickets at the box office. Disgusting bathrooms. Let's see- "Parking ranges from free to $30 depending on the show." 30 bucks? Been a few years since I've been there but I doubt much has changed.

Every time I've gone to the Rave, I have never used the parking lot. I just park on the street. And I typically go the drink ticket route because it is so much cheaper than paying Ticketmaster prices and that inane surcharge. There are places you can stand on the floor and avoid all the pushing and shoving. Off to either side or in the back by the sound tech. The building itself really is a dump, but knowing the history and stuff of it sort of offsets that in my mind. I've also know a lot of bands think it is haunted and that's why they like playing there because they like looking around.

yeah park on the street, i think beer is 7.50 or 8 bucks for a 16 oz cup and usually it is warm when you get it because they just pour it in mass and have it out for people who buy it. at the pabst you can have a pbr tall boy for 4 bucks.

Yeah, the balcony really does stink. Terrible views.

I don't think I'd see a show at the Rave anymore, but the Eagles Ballroom wasn't too bad. I remember seeing Alanis and Cherry Poppin Daddies up there.

I've known two different people who parked on the street who have had their cars broken into while at shows at The Rave. It's obviously cheaper (free), but don't be surprised if something like that happens. Also, the sound generally sucks and the place is kind of a dump in general, as people have mentioned.

If you can find the promotion free tickets (they look like real tickets, not the two drink ones) get those...they have em all over the east side. Do yerself a favor and grab a bunch. Drink before you go, and between bands, drink more, you have a ton of extra free tickets to get back in.

OR...skip the garbage opening bands (there's exceptions to this rule), and just call the rave and ask what time the band you wanna see is going on. That way you don't have to sit through 2 or 3 bands that are terrible while sobering up. Get there jacked up on whatever and see who you paid to see.

On that note, I saw Social Distortion there a few months ago and got free tickets for a me, my fiance, and another couple. My buddy bought me a 8 dollar 12oz bottle of high life and at that point I knew it was gonna be a sober night.

If you're only paying like $10-20 more than General Admission for what sounds like a VIP Balcony seat -- it's really just general admission with access to the balcony. Not reserved, nothing special. The nice package is significantly more expensive. They (and Ticketmaster) don't make this very clear.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Given the neighborhood, I prefer parking in a lot with an attendant rather than on the street (unless you can find a spot on Wisconsin Ave). Anyone ever been in one of the side stages/venues at The Rave? I saw a show there in what can best be described as a church basement.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...
Given the neighborhood, I prefer parking in a lot with an attendant rather than on the street (unless you can find a spot on Wisconsin Ave). Anyone ever been in one of the side stages/venues at The Rave? I saw a show there in what can best be described as a church basement.
having not lived in wisconsin for a few years, it's been a while, but... years ago i saw pharcyde in the basement venue they had open for a while, name escapes me now. it was a huge room, but the ceiling was low, which, combined with the hundreds of human bodies in the place killed the acoustics. i've also seen maybe a half dozen shows in the rave bar (ground floor, to the right as you come in).

regarding the theme of this topic, i'd have to say the resounding message here is: don't get your hopes up. nothing about the rave/eagle's ballroom is especially enticing for the concertgoer.

edit: heck, while i'm on the subject of shows in milwaukee, RIP globe east. it's been gone for years, but that was always my favorite place to see bands in milwaukee.

Archived