Brewer Fanatic

Chris Davis

Jim Breen justposted on twitter basically asking if the Rangers would trade Chris Davis for Gamel. He says that Davis has legit 25-30 HR potential and Gamel may only max out at 20. Ignoring whether or not the Rangers would actually do this, I'm undecided on whether I would do this. Davis may hit for more power but I think Gamel will get on base more. Davis also strikes out a ton (I know some people claim K's aren't really any different than other outs but 200+ K potential is still ugly). Davis is a year younger and his minor league numbers are better than Gamel's too. They have both also played 3B and 1B. I guess one could argue that Davis has already proven himself a little in the majors (pretty good 1st year, fell off a bit years after) while Gamel really hasn't. Then again, I don't think Gamel has gotten the opportunity Davis has either. I think both will end up being solid major-league contributors so I would be happy with either.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I've thought about him off and on... especially when I was trying to figure out a way to get Feliz away from TX (before he was converted to relief).

I like Gamel more, and I'm sure people will once again start up about how he didn't hit when he was up, but he was a different hitter this time. He was aggressively going after pitches and while he didn't always make the best decision, I liked that much better than his passive trying to walk and taking strike 3 approach in 2009.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Davis has about 930 PAs in the majors, so about 2 years worth. His career line is .249/.306/.460. And that's with being shielded from left handed pitchers. For a 1B that isn't good. His BB% and K% look like a guy who doesn't have a good grasp of the strike zone.

Davis is playing a little LF in AAA in addition to 1B & 3B...he's still only 25 so there's some upside; maybe a Branyan or Rob Deer quality of career? ...it's hard to ignore his AAA numbers 368/413/842 ....and respectable numbers in Texas earlier this season: 269/333/481

....but Gamel > Davis

btw.... Texas has a very nice collection of position prospects in their farm especially at SS & CF .....but a little short in pitching prospect depth ....keep an eye on Texas to be a trade partner but not until the winter meetings

I like Gamel more, and I'm sure people will once again start up about how he didn't hit when he was up, but he was a different hitter this time. He was aggressively going after pitches and while he didn't always make the best decision, I liked that much better than his passive trying to walk and taking strike 3 approach in 2009.

Not only was he aggressive, but there were several instances of him jumping all over mistake pitches, & he just missed them. Not saying missing mistake pitches is a good thing, but he was aggressive with a purpose, not just for the sake of being aggressive.

Naturally, I agree with "Gamel > Davis" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived