Brewer Fanatic

Brewers option Gamel, recall RHP Cody Scarpetta from AA; Latest-- Scarpetta optioned back after the game

I think this underrates how valuable a guy that can post an .800+ OPS

for league-min. is. For a team that's trying to operate around its

maxed-out payroll, guys like Gamel are critical to have. Not saying I'd

be against trading Mat absolutely, but his value to the Brewers is

pretty big over the next three seasons or so.

I'm guessing not everyone believes Gamel will be able to contribute a .800+ OPS for the Brewers. I think people realize how valuable that type of player is, but you're making an assumption he will be that type of player. And assumption I agree with incidentally, but one that people who've seen very little of Gamel and know very little of him might not.

I also don't think we're that maxed out and will have room to add in the next couple years, but that's not really the point here.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 'maxed out' comment was in regards to (hopefully) resigning Greinke. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

And yeah, good point on not everyone being convinced that Gamel will hit. I'll point to this comparison again, though: Overbay with more raw power. He'll probably wind up with a similar career path to Lyle, as well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gamel is fortunate that he appears to be pegged for Prince's job next year. I love his swing but I'm getting nervous that he won't produce in the big leagues. It would have been nice to see him at 1B. I expect he will be a defensive upgrade from Prince but if he can't handle grounders at 3B it may be wishful thinking that he can handle them at 1B. It would be nice to give our average infielders a bigger target if nothing else.

Gamel is fortunate that he appears to be pegged for Prince's job next year. I love his swing but I'm getting nervous that he won't produce in the big leagues. It would have been nice to see him at 1B. I expect he will be a defensive upgrade from Prince but if he can't handle grounders at 3B it may be wishful thinking that he can handle them at 1B. It would be nice to give our average infielders a bigger target if nothing else.

He can handle grounders just fine. Throwing was always his problem.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

you unload gamel for just about any decent SS that gets dangled in front of you. there was a higher regard for matt laporta at the time of the cc trade and i think we know how that has turned/will turn out. gamel doesn't have superstar potential so i doubt we'll be able to land an elite, but i'm fine with just scooping up an above average regular.

of course i'm all for going broke in 2011. with that said, the current squad can't win a pennant with yuni at ss.

Archived