Brewer Fanatic

Brewers option Gamel, recall RHP Cody Scarpetta from AA; Latest-- Scarpetta optioned back after the game

If anything, Gamel should be getting work in the outfield and at 1B. We already have Taylor Green who should be up helping at 3B in the majors. With Braun's injury and not knowing how long he will be out, if it will linger etc., and the fact that Kotsay is terrible on defense, Gamel could really help the OF situation.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a bad day for Cody though. He is now part of the union, gets the minimum pension, whether he plays again and (correct me if I am wrong), gets MLB minimum salary for the rest of the year.
I think it's 43 days of service time for the minimum pension, isn't it? I thought one day of service time qualified you for medical / healthcare benefits. I could be wrong, who knows. Either way your point is valid. Nice day for him.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Not a bad day for Cody though. He is now part of the union, gets the minimum pension, whether he plays again and (correct me if I am wrong), gets MLB minimum salary for the rest of the year.

Usually no. 40 man deals for players in his class are usually split.

I wonder if he even got to spend the night in a nice hotel before returning to the best westerns of the world.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I will feel a bit bad for him if never makes the majors again. I mean, to get a cup of coffee is pretty awesome but as it stands, he might be this close to realizing his dream of playing in the majors and then never get into an official game or officially on the Brewers all-time roster. Doubt that this scenario plays out, but if he were to suffer some debilitating injury I'd be pretty upset to make it that close but not have officially played in at least one game.

I will feel a bit bad for him if never makes the majors again. I mean, to get a cup of coffee is pretty awesome but as it stands, he might be this close to realizing his dream of playing in the majors and then never get into an official game or officially on the Brewers all-time roster.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3600/shapeimage1j.png

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Actually, this happened to a former Brewer farmhand and 40-man roster player, RHP Tim Bausher.

From Wikipedia --

Bausher was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 27th round of the 2001 draft.[1] He did not play in 2002 and was released in 2003, eventually signing with the Berkshire Black Bears in the independent Northeast League. After one game, the Milwaukee Brewers purchased his contract and he was assigned to their single-A affiliate.[2] Was a ‘One-Game Wonder’ in Indy League.[3] After starting the 2004 season in the Milwaukee organization, he was placed on waivers and signed by the Colorado Rockies and assigned to their double-A affiliate.[4] Boston claimed him off waivers in December 2004 and assigned him to Pawtucket.[5]

Boston called up Bausher from Triple-A Pawtucket to take Curt Schilling's spot on the roster but did not pitch and was sent back shortly afterwards.[6]

In 2006, Bausher was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for reliever Mike Burns and cash.[7] The Reds cut him and he signed again with the Rockies as a spring training invitee. He was released in camp and signed with the Nashua Pride of the CanAm League.[8] The Kansas City Royals purchased his contract in June 2007 and assigned Bausher to their double-A affiliate, the Wichita Wranglers.[9] Kansas City released him after a 1-4, 7.94 ERA record in 13 games and he has since re-signed with Nashua,[10]

Thus, there is no record of Bausher's big league stay of one day on Baseball Reference, nor likely in the Baseball Encyclopedia. His pro career ended in 2007 with only this one day "invisible" bullpen visit.

If Cody Scarpetta is not a September call-up (I don't believe he will be, it wouldn't assist the Brewers in petitioning for his 4th option year), then hopefully he will earn his World Series ring for the Brewers with this one-day "stay".

I think it's 43 days of service time for the minimum pension, isn't it? I thought one day of service time qualified you for medical / healthcare benefits. I could be wrong, who knows. Either way your point is valid. Nice day for him.
I'm pretty sure you're right. He gets the healthcare benefits, but no pension yet.

Also, the per diem is probably more than he makes in a week at Huntsville, so that's nice.

My guess is the plan all along was to bring back Dillard but they had to wait 10 days, hence the move with Scarpetta.

Bringing up Gamel didn't exactly work out. While you cannot draw conclusions over 26 AB's, his hot AAA hitting once again didn't carry over and I'm certain that's going to make them think at least about bringing in another 1B should Fielder walk. They are going to need production there, and despite his minor league numbers, Gamel is totally unproven at the major league level.

My guess is the plan all along was to bring back Dillard but they had to wait 10 days, hence the move with Scarpetta.

Bringing up Gamel didn't exactly work out. While you cannot draw conclusions over 26 AB's, his hot AAA hitting once again didn't carry over and I'm certain that's going to make them think at least about bringing in another 1B should Fielder walk. They are going to need production there, and despite his minor league numbers, Gamel is totally unproven at the major league level.

Agreed. I think Melvin will at least explore options this off-season. As far as right now, if they could get a good shortstop for Gamel, I think you have to think about trading him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Agreed. I think Melvin will at least explore options this off-season. As far as right now, if they could get a good shortstop for Gamel, I think you have to think about trading him.
Seriously? Are you suggesting we give up 5 years of Gamel for a few months of a good Shortstop?

In the grand scheme of things the moves for the last couple of weeks were relatively small potatoes, and generally fairly reasonable. Melvin has a decent history of really taking stock around the break, and here's to hoping they get some of the very fixable roster moves ironed out by the time they start playing again. Ideal world we have our SS upgrade, and they figure out whether they want to go with Gamel sharing time a 3B with Casey or Green. I think handing things over to Green is probably the better win now move because of the defense part, but I'm sure there is a desire to reward Gamel and really try and test drive him somewhat.

Seriously? Are you suggesting we give up 5 years of Gamel for a few months of a good Shortstop?
He didn't say a free agent to be shortstop. He didn't even say MLB shortstop. We have long-term needs there.

I would think about trading Gamel for a good SS who we could control for a few years. However, Gamel didn't really get consistent playing time when he was up here this year. Plus, he had to worry about playing 3B, something he even said bothered him. He also hit the ball hard in his first few games but they just didn't fall for hits. IF Gamel ends up being our full-time 1B next year, I think he will do just fine.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

He didn't say a free agent to be shortstop. He didn't even say MLB shortstop. We have long-term needs there.

Exactly, plus it's stretch to say we get 5 years of playing time out of Gamel. He's been incredibly unreliable. I doubt that changes. I think he can be a decent hitter, but I'd love deal him for help now and next year and then add an undervalued 1B or OF next offseason if we need one.

Don't forget Gamel is already 26, he'll be past his prime in a few short years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I wasn't suggesting just dealing Gamel for any old rental. Now, if the Mets were offering Jose Reyes for Gamel, I think you'd have to look at it (injury issues aside). I wouldn't be eager to do it, but I think it would have to be considered. Reyes is a guy good enough to put us over the top in the division race. Realistically, a trade scenario involving Mat Gamel is probably going to involve more pieces than a straight up one-for-one trade.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't want to trade Gamel for a 2 month rental that could just put us in the playoffs. It'd have to be part of a blockbuster trade that could put us into the World Series. (not sure if such a potential trade exists)

Although yeah if we could trade Gamel for a very good SS that we would have for a few years, then yes sure

Honestly I don't think Gamel is that important to the Brewers long term plans. They have a number of different viable options at 1st base in the next couple of years and their are a couple decent 1B prospects in the minors as well.

If you can trade Gamel for a legitimate SS that you would have for at least 2 years you pull the trigger. I don't know who that SS would be; but I think an average to good defensive SS with .700-.750 OPS potential would be a fair return for someone like Gamel.

Now, if the Mets were offering Jose Reyes for Gamel, I think you'd have to look at it (injury issues aside). I wouldn't be eager to do it, but I think it would have to be considered. Reyes is a guy good enough to put us over the top in the division race.

Don't worry, they're not. The Mets are going to be able to get a much better return on Reyes than one centered on Gamel, even though Reyes is just a rental.

Honestly I don't think Gamel is that important to the Brewers long term plans.

I think this underrates how valuable a guy that can post an .800+ OPS for league-min. is. For a team that's trying to operate around its maxed-out payroll, guys like Gamel are critical to have. Not saying I'd be against trading Mat absolutely, but his value to the Brewers is pretty big over the next three seasons or so.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived