Brewer Fanatic

Brewers option Gamel, recall RHP Cody Scarpetta from AA; Latest-- Scarpetta optioned back after the game

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good move, let Mat go down and get regular at bats so that he doesn't get screwed up like he did under Macha. What are Scarpetta's numbers like?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I think this is a "worse case scenario" call-up. The Brewers have no one in the pen to go multiple innings if Wolf gets lit up.

Plus, I believe next year Scarpetta becomes a free agent of Rule V eligible? So they need to get a feel for him at the MLB level at some point.

I think this is a "worse case scenario" call-up. The Brewers have no one in the pen to go multiple innings if Wolf gets lit up.

Plus, I believe next year Scarpetta becomes a free agent of Rule V eligible? So they need to get a feel for him at the MLB level at some point.

True. I guess I understand it. I've heard the guy has a plus fastball but not sure about his offspeed stuff. Hopefully the kid turns out to be a good bullpen arm for us the rest of the way and we can go 7 deep in our bullpen. That'd be huge

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's actually nothing to do with Rule 5, since Scarpetta is already on the 40-man roster. It's a question of his option status. Unless MLB grants a 4th option year to Scarpetta, he'll need to be in Milwaukee to stay beginning next April.

It was Scarpetta's turn to pitch today in the minors. He's on the 40-man roster. This is strictly a matter of need and convenience. It wouldn't surprise me if he were no longer on the 25-man roster come Thursday.

Scarpetta is certainly a surprising call up to see. I'm guessing this is just to have a guy they can give some mop-up innings; his numbers this year are pretty mediocre in AA.

I actually hope they give Gamel a few starts in LF/RF over the course of the next few months. It would be really nice for the club to have him as an option rather than Kotsay.

If Scarpetta gets to pitch, and I see that as a very remote possibility, I'll be bery curious to see how he's progressed because the only pitch he threw that had any wow factor to it in WI was his curveball, and it was inconsistent.

This has to be a move purely for convenience given his 40 man roster status. Though I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is considering the other spots available and I'm also curious as to what's wrong with McClendon? Scarpetta has serious work to do control wise and while it will be nice for him to get a taste of bigs, I really don't even like this move for a single day. I'd rather he get his 100 pitches today than worry about him providing blowout relief, there had to be other options than Scarpetta.

I'm happy with Gamel going down, no reason to waste service time pinch hitting.

edit. "pitching hitting"? sigh.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Scarpetta is not Rule V eligible since he's on the 40-man roster. We're holding out hope that he'll be granted a 4th option year, or else we'd have to send him through waivers to get him to the minors.

I'm guessing BrewCrewin2004 was right in his assessment that this was because of proximity. It was probably much easier to recall him from Huntsville than a player from Albuquerque.

Looking at his minor league numbers, it seems like Scarpetta could perhaps be a good reliever. He's got a career 9.9 k/9 and a pretty high 4.5 bb/9, to go with a 1.374 WHIP. In comparison, in the minors John Axford had a 9.9 k/9 and 6.0 bb/9 to got with a 1.481 WHIP. Axford did some of that at AAA (which Scarpetta hasn't seen yet) but he also didn't even debut in the minors until he was 2 years older than Sarpetta is now. Turnbow had 8.0 k/9, 4.6 bb/9 (perhaps skewed a little higher by his disastrous stints in Nashville and OKC) and higher WHIP. Dan Kolb had 6.5 k/9, 4.1 bb/9 and a higher WHIP.

I point this out not to say that Scarpetta is a future closer, just that a large amount of walks doesn't necessarily mean a reliever can't be effective.

Eh I'd rather have Taylor Green playing 3B every day. Improve the defense when you can.

Interesting that for today, the Brewers are down two position players. Braun's still unavailable, and obviously Gamel's gone too.

Per TR at jsonline.com "Another arm to cover us," manager Ron Roenicke said. "(Nashville) right now is in Albuquerque, and it would have been really tough to try to get somebody here for the game. So Scarpetta's on the 40-man roster.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/125291908.html

Also It's likely Scarpetta will be sent back down to Huntsville by the time the Brewers open the second half in Colorado on Thursday, with another move then forthcoming.

"Probably that's what we'll do," Roenicke said. "I'm going to talk to (general manager) Doug (Melvin) about it, and make sure when we start up again Thursday that we've got the guy in place that we want."

and

Roenicke said Gamel will now play both in Nashville.

"He's also going to play some third base, in order to make sure that if we bring him back up for third again, at least he's got a lot of games," Roenicke said. "I think most of the time right away he may be at third, get comfortable there, and then move back and forth.

Eh I'd rather have Taylor Green playing 3B every day. Improve the defense when you can.

Interesting that for today, the Brewers are down two position players. Braun's still unavailable, and obviously Gamel's gone too.

The team defense is going to be bad regardless of who plays 3B, so I'd lean toward helping the offense. They have major issues there.

Nice move but very minor as I think Scarpetta will be back in the minors when the "second half" begins. However, this team does need a reliever and not a 6 man bench so him staying up or McClendon coming up wouldn't be out of the question.

Archived