Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Sunday 7/10 -- Caleb Gindl's cycle and Taylor Green's grand slam powers Nashville

People think that Thornburg will be a relief pitcher because of:

A. His size

B. Effort in his delivery

As for the effort, there has been a fair number of pitchers who were successful with deliveries with effort. Bob Gibson had some effort, and so did Tim Lincicum and Roy Oswalt.

Huntsville postponed as well.

Scarpetta won't even miss his start now, worked out perfectly.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Decent 3rd inning for the Sounds and their two most prominent hitting prospects:

Nashville Top of the 3rd
  • Brandon Boggs walks.
  • Brett Carroll walks. Brandon Boggs to 2nd.
  • Erick Almonte walks. Brandon Boggs to 3rd. Brett Carroll to 2nd.
  • Taylor Green hits a grand slam (13) to right field. Brandon Boggs scores. Brett Carroll scores. Erick Almonte scores.
  • Pitcher Change: Ramon Troncoso replaces Ian Snell, batting 9th.
  • Wil Nieves flies out to center fielder Jamie Hoffmann.
  • Caleb Gindl homers (12) on a fly ball to left field.
  • Edwin Maysonet singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jerry Sands.
  • Josh Butler out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Corey Smith to second baseman Ivan De Jesus. Edwin Maysonet to 2nd.
  • Eric Farris strikes out swinging.

Both are 2-2 so far, with Gindl's other hit being a triple.

Matt Moore is pitching right now from the Rays, his first 3 pitches... 95, 99, and 100... as a starting pitcher, left handed, with great control... and ohh my goodness a plus slider to make Liddi look silly. Moore and Price, 2 LHP pitchers headlining that rotation, I would think in the next year or so. I wonder who they trade to make room for Moore? Neimann?

I suspect Shields is the logical choice.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Thornburg didn't look nearly as small as my impression of him was. The first change he threw the batter just about screwed himself into the ground. Just made him look silly. He left one change up in the zone, but overall I thought it looked good.

Has to be Arnett's best outing yet - 7IP, 5H, 9K, 9:3 GO/FO. The GO/FO ratio is pretty consistent with his last three starts. He did say earlier this year that his shoulder felt better than ever. "I'm not dead yet!!"

Salami for Green, plus a single and a walk...

How the heck did Matt Moore last until the 8th round of the 2007 draft?

Final: Great Falls 4, @Helena 3

Crew Can't Complete Comeback, Fall 4-3

By Nicholas Allen

Eric Arnett (1-1) took a tough luck loss as the Brewers dropped the

second game of the three-game series against the Great Falls Voyagers

Sunday at Kindrick Legion Field. Of the four runs allowed by Arnett,

just two were earned as the Brewers had two costly errors in the

contest. The 6'5" right-hander went seven innings, allowing five hits

and striking out a new career-high nine Great Falls hitters. It is the

second consecutive start Arnett has set a career mark, as he struck out

eight Missoula Osprey on July 5.

Trailing 3-0 in the bottom of the fourth, the Brewers got on the board

after Tyler Roberts walked and Max Walla doubled, giving Helena two

runners in scoring position with no one out. After a Brent Dean pop out

and a walk to Yadiel Rivera, Roberts would score on Kyle Dhanani's RBI

groundout. The clubs swapped runs in the fifth as Joe De Pinto homered

for Great Falls and Nick Ramirez answered with a bomb of his own, his

first as a professional.

The Brewers would cut the lead to one in the bottom of the seventh as

Kenny Allison singled and came around to score on Ruben Ozuna's single

to right. Ramirez would follow with the third single of the inning, but

Roberts grounded into a double play to end the threat. Thomas Keeling

kept the Crew in it with two spotless innings including three

strikeouts. Joe Dvorsky picked up his first save for the Voyagers,

surviving a Max Walla double and an Adrian Williams walk, striking out

the side in the ninth.

The series will conclude Monday night.

Helena Box Score

Eric Arnett's performance tonight is what jumps out at you from the box score from either team. Five hits allowed in his seven innings, with no walks to accompany the nine strikeouts. Eight of the remaining twelve outs he recorded came via the groundball. He gave up runs in the 1st, 4th & 5th innings; the 2nd, 3rd, & 6th were perfect frames. In fact, he ended his night by striking out the side, in order, in the 6th. Arnett has to be feeling pumped about this performance.

As Allen alluded to in his game story, the Brewers made two errors in the two-run Great Falls 4th. Dhanani, playing third base, was charged with a throwing error to lead off the inning. Arnett then gave up a single, induced a fielder's choice groundout, & struck out a batter. Then, with runners on first & third, Arnett allowed a single that presumably got under the glove of leftfielder Kenny Allison; both runners scored, & the hitter advanced to third base. Fortunately Arnett was able to get out of the inning without any further damage.

Nick Ramirez added a single to go along with his first pro homer. Allison was the only other Helena hitter with two hits, and also stole a base. Roberts doubled & walked; Walla & Dhanani each had doubles, too.

Helena Play-by-Play

Here's that pesky top of the 4th:

Great Falls Top of the 4th
  • David Herbek reaches on throwing error by third baseman Kyle Dhanani.
  • Michael Earley singles on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla. David Herbek to 2nd.
  • Mark
    Haddow grounds into a force out, second baseman Adrian Williams to
    shortstop Yadiel Rivera. David Herbek to 3rd. Michael Earley out
    at 2nd. Mark Haddow to 1st.
  • Andrew Douglas strikes out swinging.
  • Martin
    Medina singles on a line drive to left fielder Kenneth Allison.
    David Herbek scores. Mark Haddow scores. Martin Medina to 3rd.
    Fielding error by left fielder Kenneth Allison.
  • Brent Tanner lines out softly to third baseman Kyle Dhanani.

And the stellar top of the 6th, Arnett's final (& best) inning:

Great Falls Top of the 6th
  • Michael Earley called out on strikes.
  • Mark Haddow strikes out swinging.
  • Andrew Douglas strikes out swinging.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Nashville 9, @Albuquerque 5

Gindl Cycles In Nashville's 9-5 Win In Albuquerque

Gindl becomes third Sound to accomplish feat in team history

Nashville Sounds

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Caleb Gindl hit for the cycle while Taylor Green crushed a grand slam in a Nashville Sounds' 9-5 victory over the Albuquerque Isotopes in the finale of a four-game series on Sunday night at Isotopes Park.

Gindl became the third and most recent Sound to accomplish the feat in the team's 34-year history. The right fielder ripped a triple in the second, homered in the third, doubled in the eighth, and completed the feat with a single in the ninth. Gindl went 4-for-5 with three runs scored to join J.R. House (2004) and Tike Redman (2001) as the only players to hit for the cycle in a Sounds uniform.

The victory gave Nashville (41-49) a 2-2 series split with Albuquerque. The two teams will resume their season series on Thursday at Greer Stadium in Nashville, which the Isotopes currently lead, 7-4.

Josh Butler (5-5) surrendered one run on five hits while fanning four in five innings to earn the win. In his last three starts, Butler has recorded a 2.41 ERA (5 ER / 18.2 IP) while striking out 20.

Brett Carroll gave the Sounds a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning. With two outs in the frame, Carroll belted his 15th homer off Isotopes starter Ian Snell over the wall in left field, his second consecutive game with a homer.

The Sounds tacked on another run in the second inning as Gindl smacked a two-out triple to center field and scored on the ensuing Edwin Maysonet single.

Nashville opened up the game with a 6-0 lead in the third. After Snell issued three consecutive walks to open the frame, Green smacked a 0-1 pitch for a grand slam to remove Snell from the contest. The long ball was Green's 13th, who has hit both of Nashville's grand slams this season, recording the other on June 5 at New Orleans.

Later in the inning after coming in to the game to relieve Snell, Ramon Troncoso offered up Gindl's 12th home run of the year that made it 7-0.

MiLB video of all four Gindl hits (with the Albuquerque home team announcer call).

Nashville's Stu Paul with his own audio call of the cycling single is available via the game summary post.

Ivan De Jesus Jr. put Albuquerque on the board in the bottom of the fifth inning with a solo homer to center, his first of the season.

The Sounds added two insurance runs in the eighth for a 9-1 advantage. Gindl doubled to left field and scored as pinch hitter Jordan Brown hit an infield single. Eric Farris got in on the action with a single to first base that scored Brown, who previously advanced to second on a throwing error.

The Isotopes got two more in the bottom of the eighth. Two straight doubles by Jay Gibbons and Jamie Hoffman accounted for the first run, while Damaso Espino hit an RBI single.

Albuquerque scored two more runs to come within four runs at 9-5 in the ninth. Dee Gordon tripled and scored on a single from De Jesus Jr., who later scored while Gibbons grounded into a double play.

Reliever Zack Segovia contributed two scoreless innings. Justin James and Sean Green each allowed two runs in one inning a piece.

Snell (1-2) was tagged for six runs on five hits and four walks in two plus innings for the loss.

After taking the next three days off for the Triple-A All-Star break, the Sounds return to action on Thursday night at Greer Stadium, when they welcome the Albuquerque Isotopes (AAA-Dodgers) to Music City for a 6:05 p.m. scheduled doubleheader consisting of two seven-inning contests.

Right-hander Frankie De La Cruz (3-5, 4.33) will man the bump for the Sounds in Thursday's series opener to face Albuquerque right-hander Joe Newby (1-2, 4.35).

Left-hander Sam Narron will be the Sounds' lone participant in the 2011 Triple-A All-Star Game on Wednesday in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was selected to the team as a reserve by the PCL office and is expected to throw one inning of relief in the contest. Right-hander Mark DiFelice was also selected to the All-Star team, but will miss the game due to his current stint on the disabled list.

The Triple-A All-Star Game takes place at 8:05 p.m. CT on Wednesday night and will air on MLB Network as well as 104.5-FM "The Zone.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers prospect gets triple, homer out of the way early

By Andrew Pentis / Special to MLB.com

No matter what, Caleb Gindl wasn't going to leave the bat on his shoulder. That much, he knew.

The Brewers prospect had tripled and homered in the first three innings Sunday, then doubled in the eighth. So when he came to bat in the ninth, he'd need one pitch.

Gindl completed Nashville's first cycle in seven years -- and third in its 33-year history -- with a two-out single to center field in the Sounds' 9-5 road win over the Albuquerque Isotopes.

"When I came up, I was like, 'Go down here swinging,'" he said. "There was no way I was going to walk."

Playing right field and batting in the seventh spot, Gindl became the first member of the Sounds to accomplish the feat since J.R. House on May 21, 2004 against Sacramento. Tike Redman hit for the first cycle in Nashville history on June 30, 2001.

Gindl also totaled 10 bases the hard way -- against four different pitchers.

"I was seeing the ball well," he deadpanned. "I knew I probably wouldn't see one of the guys twice."

The 23-year-old grounded out in the fifth inning in his second matchup with Ramon Troncoso, the same reliever he took yard in the third.

The Florida native was due to bat fourth in the ninth and, thanks to Taylor Green drawing a walk and Wil Nieves beating out a potential double-play ball (the catcher already had grounded into two), returned to the batter's box for one shot.

"It was in the back of my mind," Gindl said. "As soon as I hit the double [in the eighth], it registered. I was just like, 'Man, I hope I get up one more time. "It would have never happened if my teammates didn't get me back up; they battled."

What was Gindl's on-field reaction? "I gave a fist-pump," he said.

The achievement caps a torrid two weeks. He's batting .393 (22-for-56) over his past 13 games and has raised his average 29 points to .281.

"I just tried to make an adjustment," said Gindl, who had four multi-strikeout games in the season's first 11 contests. "Early on, I struggled with off-speed pitches. I just had to be more selective, swing at strikes and not swing at everything. That's been the biggest difference for me. Before, I was swinging at a lot of bad pitches."

Gindl, Milwaukee's fifth-round Draft pick in 2007, is in the midst of his first Triple-A trial. He batted .217 in April, .240 in May, .303 in June and sports a .364 mark this month.

"I have been getting better each month," he said. "After the season, if I can look back and see I got better, that's the goal right now."

Green also starred for the Sounds, reaching base four times and smacking a third-inning grand slam that preceded Gindl's own longball. Green went deep against former big leaguer Ian Snell (1-2), who was charged with six runs over two-plus innings.

Nashville starter Josh Butler (5-5) allowed a run on five hits over five innings, but the Isotopes pushed across four runs over the final two innings.

Nashville Box Score
CF Brett Carroll also homered, his 15th -- very nice season thus far; Edwin Maysonet reached three times and has certainly been a serviceable AAA shortstop; OK, enough about others, it was Caleb Gindl's (and Taylor Green's) night...

Nashville Play-by-Play

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Gotta love Huntsville's Buck Rogers' way with words --

Tonight's game has been postponed due to the storms moving thru the area. The game will be made up as part of a DH tomorrow (Monday) at 4:43 pm. Gates will open at 4:00 pm.

Many of you are asking because according to Brewer Nation's twitter feed Cody Scarpetta will rejoin the Huntsville Stars tomorrow. If/when that move happens we will let you know. We never release a roster move without confirmation directly from Milwaukee, no matter how many feeds, tweets, twits, twists, blasts, chats, posts, blogs, or other items say so. Most times those rumored moves are indeed correct, however, on a few occasions they haven't happened, so we will always wait for the confirmation from MIlwaukee, even if we are the last to know. We'd rather be correct and late than first and wrong a la Presidential Election Results of 2000.

See you tomorrow night.

Rock On!

Archived