Brewer Fanatic

Derek Jeter gets 3000th Hit

Raw Biz
Jeter just hit a HR for his 3000th hit. He is the second player to hit a HR for it, the first being Wade Boggs in 1999. I'm actually kind of surprised more guys haven't done it. I wonder what's going to happen with the ball.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think the Happy Youngster caught it. /blue

He'd probably demand to meet Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig before giving it back.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It's commendable he will spend his entire Baseball career with one team.

I'm glad I watched it and I don't have anything against Jeter as such, but how is it commendable for him to have taken the most money every time it was offered? By that logic, anybody taking the largest contract offered is doing something commendable. I think it's nice for Yankees fans that Jeter has only been a Yankee so far but it's not like he ever turned down more money in order to stay a Yankee or that he took a paycut or smaller deal in order to help the team. He's insisted on top dollar every time he's been up for a contract. I don't blame him at all for that but I also don't find it any more commendable than anybody who makes decisions based on money. It was just his good luck that he was drafted by the richest team in American sports so he never had to decide whether he wanted top dollar or to play for the team he came up with.

I wonder what's going to happen with the ball.
The fan gave it to Jeter and didn't ask for anything in return. The Yankees ponied up, anyway, giving him four suite tickets from now through the World Series, front row seats for tomorrow's game, and a bunch of autographed stuff. The fan said he's told he'll get to meet Jeter after the game, too. What a day for that fan.

Perhaps the Youngster should take a page out of his book.

Good for Jeter. For all the crap he gets around the SABR community, he has been a great player and is certainly a 1st ballot HOF'er.

With two more years on this contract, Jeter should be able to crack the top ten on the hits list pretty easily barring injury (Eddie Collins is 10 with 3,315). To crack the top 5, he'd need to pass Tris Speaker at 3,514, which probably isn't completely out of the question if he plays one more season after this contract is up.

Fwiw, the only crap Jeter takes from 'the SABR community' is that he's won a bunch of gold gloves & at his best was really only an average or so defender.

He's been a fantastic hitter at SS for a long time now, & this is an incredible accomplishment. To think of all the stud players that've worn the pinstripes over the years, & Jeter's the first to 3,000 hits. Excellent story & excellent player.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's commendable he will spend his entire Baseball career with one team.

I'm glad I watched it and I don't have anything against Jeter as such, but how is it commendable for him to have taken the most money every time it was offered? By that logic, anybody taking the largest contract offered is doing something commendable. I think it's nice for Yankees fans that Jeter has only been a Yankee so far but it's not like he ever turned down more money in order to stay a Yankee or that he took a paycut or smaller deal in order to help the team. He's insisted on top dollar every time he's been up for a contract. I don't blame him at all for that but I also don't find it any more commendable than anybody who makes decisions based on money. It was just his good luck that he was drafted by the richest team in American sports so he never had to decide whether he wanted top dollar or to play for the team he came up with.

to piggyback on this (thanks, joehova, for pretty much saying what I was going to say) . . . why would Jeter even consider leaving the Yankees anyways. Forget about the money for a minute. He is on the most successful franchise of all-time, coming up to the club just as they were getting good again. They've never really been bad in his 16 seasons. So why on earth would he leave? He has the best chances to win a world title year after year which, for some, is more important than money. I think if the Pirates had offered him $250 million for 10 years back in 2003 or so he would have rejected it because he had more chances to win in New York than he ever would in Pittsburgh at that time.

All the money talk at contract time was all just posturing. He was never going to leave and he knows it. The Yankees probably knew it, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

i don't like the guy at all...but he's a great hitter...i will admit that i looked up how many hits Molitor had and made sure Jeter is unlikely to get there...he needs over 300 more...which will probably take 2 more full seasons...

I wonder what's going to happen with the ball.
The fan gave it to Jeter and didn't ask for anything in return. The Yankees ponied up, anyway, giving him four suite tickets from now through the World Series...
Woah, that is some kind of confidence level. I guess the rest of the AL can just pack it in already.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived