Brewer Fanatic

Are you happy for the Pirates/ Are they a threat?

To answer my owned posed question, I am, though some asshattery by the Pirates over the last few years against the Brewers, generally involving throwing at our batters, has tempered that a bit. Hurdle seems to get a lot out of his players, though he makes RRR look like a gameday management genius. That lineup they throw out there is pretty sketchy, and if they would lose McCutcheon for any stretch, it would be a huge blow to their o. Two rookies currently at the top of the lineup. I see .500 as probable, but do not think they can muster up the 88-92 wins it will take to win this division.

I'm worried about them this year, since no team seems to want to win it. The longer they are kept in the race, the more chance they have of eeking out the division title.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Community Moderator

The Pirates are a great story. I'm very happy for them, the fans are buying it and PNC is the best ballpark in the country when it is filled with Pirates fans.

I think with the current team they will fall off by August/September. But they have to be considered buyers now and they could potentially add some pieces to strengthen their cause. The Brewers can't count on easy wins against them any longer.

I'm very happy for the Pirates. They've been run in the right direction for a few seasons now, and combining that with some excellent young talent, they will probably be the real deal in another season or so.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am never or would never be happy for the Pirates. They are our opponents

I do think Pirates fans are very cool and I think Pittsburgh is a great city, but I would prefer if the Pirates went 40-120 ... I do root for them vs the Cubs though

I'm happy for their fans. However, they remind me of some of the mid to late 90's Brewers teams that hung in playoff contention until the big dogs started adding guys (are you listening, Melvin?) and the undermanned team started to fall apart due to injuries, etc.. The Brewers play them 10 times more this season, lets hope the mojo continues, or at least doesn't take a big swing the other way like it was in the late 90's.

I haven't looked at them in any depth, but it seems as though their pitching is playing well bove their heads right now. If that's the case I am assuming that evens itself out and they drop out of contention but still finish respectably.

The team seems to have made great strides and has a young exciting core. I'll echo the sentiments though that I am not happy for them and wouldn't root for any team until the Brewers are out of contention.

I'd prefer if everyone in the division was heads and shoulders below the Brewers.

I'm happy for their fans, but I'd much rather see them go on a ten game losing streak right now than a ten game winning streak. I have nothing against them, maybe a slight beef with Karstens, but it's probably awesome for their fans to get to watch Andrew McCutchen position himself as an MVP contender right now.

As for being a threat, it would not surprise me to see them finish 5-10 games above .500. I don't see them winning the division, but I would not be completely shocked if they did.

I think they are another wonderful story for 2011, like the Diamondbacks. I still don't see either team making it to September and still in the hunt but I also didn't see the Cardinals being much of a factor this year. So, there you go.

The Pirates, if they stick to their plans and don't make stupid trading deadline deals that gives up their future, will be a strong candidate for being a contender next season. I heard on MLB radio today that the Pirates should go after somebody like Carlos Pena and probably a starting pitcher, as well, at the trade deadline. I agree that they should make a move of some sort, depending on where they sit at the end of the month, of course, but they better not be trading key pieces to their future or they might have a rebellion (or might I say a mutiny) from their fans.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them quite yet but they are certainly in the back of my mind. It is strange to look at the standings and see them so close. I'm happy for their fans who have stuck with them through this long drought. It wasn't too long ago that the Brewers and us fans were in a similar situation.

Until they prove they can actually take a series from us, no, i don't view them as a threat. Also, as others have pointed out, they have a tough road after the break. If they get out of that more than 1 game over .500, then i'll take notice.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I'm happy for Pirate fan..... they have a great tradition and it's great to see them winning & filling their fine ballpark ....man, I used to enjoy watching those fine teams with Clemente, Stargell, Sanguillen, Matty Alou, and later Dave Parker, Al Oliver, etc

They're not a threat this year; they're about two years away from being a serious threat ....I admire how their new management hasn't panicked & is building their farm system

Glad to see Pirates fans coming out to support a winning team. Just goes to show that if you put a competitive product on the field, the fans will buy tickets.

I don't think this is their year. They have the position players to contend, but I don't think their pitching is there, yet. Next year? Yeah, they could definitely be in the mix to win the division.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yes I'm happy for the Pirates mostly because the organizaiton was widely criticized for investing it's profit sharing money into player development as opposed to spending money on free agents. The organization is on the right track and definitely on the upswing.

As for being a threat this season, it's tough to say, I would have thought they were a couple of years away coming into the season. I won't just dismiss them, but over the next couple of years the only team that really won't be a threat is Houston.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As of today the Pirates are tied with the Brewersin the loss column. They have a better run differential on the season. They have given up 58 fewer runs.

With a win today it's possible they will be alone in first place (in the loss column) going into the AS break. Coming out of the break, while the worst road team in the National League is on a 10-game West Coast swing, Pittsburgh gets Houston on the road and then St Louis and Cincinnati at home.

After that the Pirates go on the road to Atlanta and Philly for 7 games, but as of right now I think the odds are that Pittsburgh will be leading the division when they go on that trip. If they still are when then get back home I don't see how anyone CAN'T take them seriously. It's the NL Central. We're not talking about great teams here.

Their standing in the division dictates that they be taken seriously. Worried? Not yet, but the longer they hang in the race the closer that day comes. I'm happy for Pirate fans, small market teams have to bask in the sun while it shines.

Having been a Brewers fan my whole life, and dealing with stupidity and mismanagement through never-ending losing seasons, I'm very happy for the Pirates. If we can't win it, I'd much rather they do than the Reds or Cards. That said, I don't think they have what it takes: no offensive firepower and too many pitchers who seem due for regression.

Archived