Brewer Fanatic

Estrada appreciation

NYChez

Marco has one of the most unsung roles on the team - one that's often taken for granted. Recently, he's been doing his job very well and last night he was a key contributor to the team's win.

Estrada has pitched 5 2/3 hitless innings this month, at a time when nobody else (save Axford) can seemingly get anyone out. Even though he was originally stretched out for starts and long relief, he has adapted well to pitching on short rest, with frequent very short starts by starters and high scoring games recently.

It looks like Melvin made a good choice in keeping Estrada and getting rid of Mitre and Dillard. The non-high-leverage-situation pitcher isn't associated with much glory, but Estrada has been as important as anyone else in keeping this team afloat during the recent rough stretch.

He's a good fit for that role. I also think that is an important role on the team. Usually long relief guys pitch when the game isn't going well so their contributions show in that game. In general if a guy can absorb innings in that role it helps saves the pen for another day. It's a bonus when you have a guy who can hold things down well enough to win that particular game. Estrada has done that well so far.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Marco's role reminds me of Carlos Villanueva's. I always appreciated that Carlos agreed to move back and forth between pitching roles, and I appreciate Marco similarly. Let Marcomania commence. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I thought this was a Johnny thread.

Edit: As far as Marco goes, he gives up way too many HR in key situations. Tonight, against the Cubs, letting the Marlins back into a game, etc. Annoying. I refuse to appreciate him.

Archived