Brewer Fanatic

Horrible story - Fan dies after tumble from stands catching ball thrown by Josh Hamilton

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think it's important to note that 300 to 400,000 people go to baseball games daily, and these kind of incidences are extraordinarily rare, given the context and numbers.

Now obviously, it is nothing short of devastating for that man's family and friends, there's no denying that.

But I think the worst thing baseball can do is over react and ask players to stop throwing balls into the stands or some such.

This was eerily similar to the fatal fan fall last year at Miller Park (which actually happened right in front of my wife and myself while we were in Friday's). I think, as harsh as it sounds, it's usually just an overzealous fan reaching further than they should for a baseball. Obviously, still feel terrible for the man's son and family. No one expects tragedy at a baseball game.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What a sad and horrible tragedy. I hope there's not a string of overreactions by MLB as well, but it doesn't hurt to be overly thorough in situations like this and obviously the situation warrants it. The railing looks somewhat low when the guy is standing, however people have to remember that when sitting that railing is probably just below eye level so people don't have to stare into some mesh fencing or the railing. Just a horrible accident. May the family find the strength peace to move forward.

Archived