Brewer Fanatic

Pretty interesting article from Grantland regarding the Brewers lack of D...

If anything I think the author is too kind in suggesting that the current roster composition might just work. Personally, I wish Doug Melvin would wise up and make some dramatic changes. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.

I don't think Melvin is intentionally bucking the trend, he's just always favored SLG, it's not some genious going against the flow kind of movement. I don't want to rehash all of Melvin's moves that brought us to this point, I'll simply say the dominos didn't have to fall this way and leave it at that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think that I wrote this in my sleep last night. I was actually thinking about some of the same teams/examples this morning.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

"It will be a mild upset if the Brewers aren't the worst team in the majors come 2013"

Kind of a ridiculous statement. Yeah the farm isn't good right now, but the heart of the team Braun, Gallardo, Hart, Weeks, and Axford are all contracted to be here in 2013, and I'm confident we'll keep at least one of Greinke or Marcum. It's too early to say if we'll be a contender in 2013, but there's absolutely no reason to believe we'll be the worst team in baseball.

"It will be a mild upset if the Brewers aren't the worst team in the majors come 2013"

Kind of a ridiculous statement. Yeah the farm isn't good right now, but the heart of the team Braun, Gallardo, Hart, Weeks, and Axford are all contracted to be here in 2013, and I'm confident we'll keep at least one of Greinke or Marcum. It's too early to say if we'll be a contender in 2013, but there's absolutely no reason to believe we'll be the worst team in baseball.

Yeah that was the biggest statement that stood out to me as well. It's not like Fielder, Greinke, and Marcum are our only good players. In 2013 (assuming no trades/resignings), we'll have most of the same players we had last year, plus probably be better on defense simply by replacing Fielder and possibly McGehee. And I fully expect one of Marcum/Greinke to be resigned. This guy makes a few valid points but to think we could be the worst team in the majors in 2 years is just asinine.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Overlooking that one statement, the thing I like about this is it tries to illustrate just how bad the Brewers' defense is--something so many either don't quite realize or overlook completely. It's a TERRIBLE defense. Betancourt and McGehee could be replaced by better fielders right now.

Archived