Brewer Fanatic

Big Unit to 1250

patrickgpe

link

seems like this is the second horrible decision the radio station made in the last month. All they are doing is taking away a popular national show and replacing it with a local show to compete against maybe the most popular local sports talk show on the other end of the dial. The Doug Russel thing was obviously a cost cutting move, I don't think this is that, not sure why they would do this. Never liked the Big Unit.

Jim Rome is really the only sports talk show i listen to, and once this goes down I will only listen to the postgame show.

maybe if enough people contact Tom Parker, their PD, he may change his mind. 1250 has really made some bad decision in the land of public relations. I plan on atleast shooting him an email to tell him that after the Doug Russel thing and now this, I'm done. Its not like 1250 gets great ratings as it is, and to constantly step on their core audience is no way to run a radio station.

I know I am not a PD, and I don't know what shows get what ratings, but wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Dan Patrick, and put a local show up against the Herd, instead of putting the unit up against the D-List?

i don't matter since i'm out of market, but i'd be happy with anyone (or anything) who would replace Jim Rome.

you guys don't know how lucky you have it. my radio station interrupts its sports talk with 15 minutes of classical musical music at the top of every hour. not that i'm against classical music, but it makes no sense.

The problem is that crappy sports talk really isn't worth listening to. I'd rather not listen to it than listen to some of the crap on 1250. I rarely listen to the Big Show, and now the morning show isn't as good without Doug. I really dislike Michaels, so I won't listen to that either. I do like the Brewer post game show though.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This is going on all over the country guys. Cincy had two major sports radio stations, one that did ESPN or FOX Sports, the other was local and was filled from 6 AM til 9 PM with local sports talk. Now they are an ESPN station and the other station is gone. There is a local block from 3-6 PM which is good, but the rest is ESPN and I worship at the altar of Jim Rome compared to what I think of Colin Cowherd and I really don't like Jim Rome at all.

I've only listened to 1250 one time live and that was only to hear Brian the Automator. The archived and linked via BF.net preseason interviews I heard during a weekly Brewers show were excellent though.

I'm in the Madison market so I am stuck with Mike & Mike, The Herd, SVP, and Homer if I want sportstalk during the day. I do enjoy the D-List with the exception of Trenni, Jen Lada, and free food Friday (seriously, who wants to hear a radio show talk about the free food they are eating.)

Edit: Does 1250 do a weekly Brewers show? If so, is it archived and worth a listen?

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I've only listened to 1250 one time live and that was only to hear Brian the Automator. The archived and linked via BF.net preseason interviews I heard during a weekly Brewers show were excellent though.

I'm in the Madison market so I am stuck with Mike & Mike, The Herd, SVP, and Homer if I want sportstalk during the day. I do enjoy the D-List with the exception of Trenni, Jen Lada, and free food Friday (seriously, who wants to hear a radio show talk about the free food they are eating.)

Edit: Does 1250 do a weekly Brewers show? If so, is it archived and worth a listen?

www.sportsradio1250.com is their website. They aren't too bad, their postgame show is usually worth a listen, especially after Brewers losses.... then again, I love reactionary fan call ins!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So they fire Doug Russell, then hire Bill Michaels and axe the only good syndicated show they air in Jim Rome. 1250 is sure making some idiotic decisions. Only thing I will listen to on the station now is the Brewers post game show with Tim Allen and Sparky.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

So they fire Doug Russell, then hire Bill Michaels and axe the only good syndicated show they air in Jim Rome. 1250 is sure making some idiotic decisions. Only thing I will listen to on the station now is the Brewers post game show with Tim Allen and Sparky.

I credit Time Allen big time for not giving up even though he's blind. That said, i find him very hard to listen to as an analyst because pretty much all he does is spout off baseball cliches. In fact, things i've heard him say makes him sound quite a bit like Bill Schroeder when he calls games and that's not a compliment.

As for Bill Michaels and 1250, i rarely ever listen to that station as it is. I like Rome at times when he's interviewing guests, but when his "clones" start calling in, that's immediate change the station time for me. Their Big Show trio of Ellerson, Sparky, and Josh is painfully bad to me. I gave them a try and it didn't take long at all for me to realize that i'd never listen again except in rare cases of podcasts with certain guests i was interested in. Bill Michaels isn't much better, so i won't tune in there either. I do wonder though who is running that station and how he still has a job? Talk radio in any format, be it political or sports, they are so reliant on their hosts to first attract listeners, and then keep them tuning in. Yet, how does the guy running 1250 listen to say their Big Show and think the hosts he hired aren't garbage, especially Ellerson?

540 ESPN radio certainly has their share of brutal on air "talent" like Steve Heywood and Bill Johnson who unfortunately makes the Jason Wilde Packers show nearly impossible to listen to. That said, IMO the D-List and Homer are solid enough shows that i'll tune in sometimes, and i regularly listen to their daily podcasts with Wilde and Haudricourt.

Does anyone actually like Bill Michaels??? This is such a stupid head scratcher of a move.
Bill Michaels loves Bill Michaels.

Awful move.

So does the Good Feet store, Kinetico and Skyline Chili or anything from Cincinnati!

I emailed their PD and got a canned response, for those that are interested:

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. We do care what our listeners think and you represent a particular group who doesn’t care for Bill. I understand and accept that. But, our belief and research indicate that Bill has a strong following and is larger. We also believe a program that will be able to spend more time talking about Wisconsin sports than a national show will be to our benefit.

That’s not to take anything away from Rome. He’s a powerful brand and tough to let go. I’m sure he will find a new home

I hope you will continue to use the station for the shows you enjoy. You’ll be missing a lot of excitement.

Thanks,

Tom Parker

i am just happy that we live in an age where i can stream madison's espn affiliate and still listen when i am in the office.

I used to like Rome a lot, but the only time I really wanna listen now is when Jay Mohr or the Sklaar brother are hosting.

That said, I guess if they are gonna replace anything, I'd rather it be Rome than Dan Patrick. I'm also glad they aren't doing a show after the Big Show. I really really like Petros and Money, even though they're kinda all over the place and sports just get thrown into the mix at times.

Archived