Brewer Fanatic

Mike Adams

This is probably nothing given that Adams would be in massive demand by countless teams if the Padres actually made him available, but a rumors area of a sports forum are for rumors, even if extremely unlikely and this wasn't made up by me.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/brewers-among-clubs-with-interest-in-padres-relievers.html

The Brewers are among the teams that have contacted the Padres about their relievers, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The Yankees, Rangers, Phillies and Cardinals have also contacted San Diego about possible trades for relievers.

Though the Padres haven’t begun exchanging offers for players like Heath Bell and Mike Adams,

discussions will likely intensify at the All-Star Break. The Yankees

will likely pursue relievers aggressively, but Adams will only be

available for an “extraordinary” offer, according to Rosenthal and

Morosi. Joel Sherman of the New York Post

reported last week that the Yankees prefer Adams, who is a free agent

after 2012, to Bell, who hits the open market this offseason.

I looked at the stats for Mike Adams this year since he was included in

the rumor. Wow are his numbers ridiculous, now that's a guy deserving

of lots of deference from his manager.

1.21 ERA

0.64 WHIP (Wow)

41/5 K/BB ratio

.146 BAA

Adams

does pitch in the ultimate pitchers park, but his numbers are really

good on the road also and last year his great numbers were even better

on the road. Since Doug let Adams go and looking at his stats with

San Diego, over those four seasons he has to have been a top 3 most

productive relief pitcher in all of baseball. I knew that Adams has been

good for the Padres, but i didn't realize that he'd been that

ridiculously dominant.

In the last four years he has a K/BB ratio that's an insane 233/55, and his WHIP has been

What a beast. Adams would look very nice in our bullpen, but with how great he's been and his dirt cheap contract of him only being owed about 1.2 million the rest of the season, every playoff contender in the league would be heavily interested if the Padres shopped Adams. Given the state of our farm system, we likely would lose out in a bidding war for him and as much as i'd like Adams on the team, i probably would cringe heavily at the cost if we actually got him.

The Mike Adams deal has to go down as one of Melvin's underrated blunders. It seems like he went from closer of the future to being traded for Geremi Gonzalez overnight. This is not to bag on Melvin because his bullpen roster decisions have been a net gain in getting success from scrap heap guys like Kolb, Turnbow and now Axford.

every time i see mike adams numbers over the past few years i wonder what the circumstances were that we let him get away? i don't remember this geremi gonzalez you speak of. was adams struggling at the time?

every time i see mike adams numbers over the past few years i wonder what the circumstances were that we let him get away? i don't remember this geremi gonzalez you speak of. was adams struggling at the time?

Geremi Gonzales (Rest in Peace) was a long reliever who at one time was a promising starter for the Cubs in the late 90's. He passed away in 2008 at the age of 33.

To be fair, the Brewers waited on Adams who had injury/effectiveness issues in 2005 after a solid, but not spectacular 2004. Adams posted a 5.75 ERA in AAA in 05, and started 06 off badly for the Brewers. That they got anything for him at the time was remarkable. He missed all of 07 and didn't resurface until 2008. I hardly think Melvin deserves blame on that one.

Agreed on Melvin and Adams. Recall that he didn't pitch in 2007 after being only moderately effective in AAA in 2006. Sure, he had a promising rookie year, but after that he didn't really do anything in the majors or minors to suggest his sudden emergence as a dominant reliever.

Just like Nelson Cruz, the Mets placed him on waivers after we traded him. Cleveland picked him up, and eventually traded him to San Diego. Only then did he regain his form. I can't blame DM for letting him go, but it is sad to think what this team would be with those two players the past couple of years.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Yeah, Adams wasn't really regarded as any sort of loss when Melvin traded him. His bounce back has been pretty remarkable, and I don't think you can criticize Melvin in hindsight.

I don't agree with this. I was displeased at the time because they hadn't really given Adams a chance for whatever reason. I'm sure I wasn't the only one as I recall that Mike was pretty popular around here for awhile because of his undrafted rise to the majors.

As for criticizing Melvin for it, it depends. It was a bad move (horrible move) judging by the results but as was mentioned, the Mets and Indians also gave up on him so it's not like Doug was the only guy who couldn't see Mike's future dominance on the horizon.

"Yeah, Adams wasn't really regarded as any sort of loss when Melvin traded him. His bounce back has been pretty remarkable, and I don't think you can criticize Melvin in hindsight."

Like I said, 5 years later, it was a poor move, but it's greatly outweighed by the scrap heap pickups of Kolb, Turnbow and Axford, among other bullpen guys. It's not like he added him into a trade to get Laynce Nix or anything:)

Adams was let go because Yost and Maddux didn't like him. Twice he went over a week without getting into a game in just 2 months in Milwaukee in 2005. Hard to keep a player around who your manager just won't play,

Anyone with more knowledge about the Brewer's prospects know what would be fair of the Padres to ask for this guy?

I would love this bullpen.

Axford CL

Saito SU

Adams SU

Loe MR

Hawkins MR

Braddock MR

Estrada LR

I'd trade relief prospects for a reliever, but not a starting pitcher or a position player.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Anyone with more knowledge about the Brewer's prospects know what would be fair of the Padres to ask for this guy?

I would love this bullpen.

Axford CL

Saito SU

Adams SU

Loe MR

Hawkins MR

Braddock MR

Estrada LR

I'd swap Estrada for McClendon or preferably another lefty. But otherwise I agree. Don't like Estrada as a reliever. He should be starting in AAA.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think they need another lefty...but where to get that lefty is the question. Braddock has great stuff but man is he frustrating. Also need a guy like Estrada who can cover multiple innings. This is especially true when you know Hawkins/Saito are good for one inning and if we are lucky back to back games. Nothing more.

Archived