Brewer Fanatic

If you're DM, what do you do to make this team better?

BadgerFan

Given the recent (and not so recent) struggles with the bottom of the lineup and the bullpen, what would you do to realistically improve this team?

A few years ago we were able to trade for C.C. in order to stabilize the rotation. This year, it seems the issue is not adding one key piece like a Sabathia but instead there are a myriad of smaller issues. We don't need one big piece of the puzzle, we need 4-5 smaller pieces.

One of the biggest problems we face moving towards the trade deadline has nothing to do with the product on the field. The lack of prospects in our system is going to handcuff DM's chances of acquiring anything resembling a third baseman, shortstop or reliever.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without trades I'd start by DFA'ing Kotsay and replacing him with Boggs. Probably just get rid of Wilson or Estrada and call up McClendon. Demote McGehee to AAA and recall Taylor Green. Then with trades I'd add a bullpen arm, possibly another lefty so Braddock can pitch full innings. Then I'd make Saito setup man, Hawkins, Loe, and Braddock can share situations before the 8th. Ax is still closer. McClendon is long man, and whoever we trade for is a LOGGY or extra arm. Then I'd look for a power bat for the bench and dump Wilson or whoever else. Try to get a serviceable SS and either bench Betancourt or DFA him. I wouldn't mind keeping Gamel as a bat off the bench, filling the Kotsay role, and getting occasional starts at 3B also. That would be about it for me that is realistic to do.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Given the recent (and not so recent) struggles with the bottom of the lineup and the bullpen, what would you do to realistically improve this team?

A few years ago we were able to trade for C.C. in order to stabilize the rotation. This year, it seems the issue is not adding one key piece like a Sabathia but instead there are a myriad of smaller issues. We don't need one big piece of the puzzle, we need 4-5 smaller pieces.

One of the biggest problems we face moving towards the trade deadline has nothing to do with the product on the field. The lack of prospects in our system is going to handcuff DM's chances of acquiring anything resembling a third baseman, shortstop or reliever.

Bullpen help is probably the biggest need. The good thing is that there are some good bullpen options available. Francisco Rodriguez is probably the most realistic person the Brewers could get. Bench depth is the only other problem but there are options in the minors. I don't see 3B as that big of a problem as Gamel/Green could fill in if McGehee stays this bad. As for SS there are some options in the trade market but I'm not sure the Brewers should trade the pieces needed to get a good SS.

Actually they could make a substantial difference just by staying within the organization. Boggs over Kotsay and especially Green over McGehee would be substantial improvements. Those players are both below replacement level. McGehee has been almost a win below replacement already because he's been bad all around.

I don't understand the notion that anything they do may not have a large impact, so it isn't worth doing anything. McGehee, Kotsay, and Betancourt are costing the team games and upgrades aren't difficult to find.

The best thing Melvin could do is turn in his letter of resignation. This team has a few superstars the farm system provided, but has massive holes in the spots Melvin messed with. We have a massive negative at SS while JJ Hardy stars for another team. The farm system has less talent than it had the day Melvin took over. He has done nothing for this organization.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Community Moderator

I've seen way too many unrealistic suggestions lately. Melvin and Roenicke aren't going anywhere, so why even bother suggesting it? Maybe one of the other coaches could get the axe, but they will have to fall much farther than one game out of 1st for that to happen.

They could use another reliable arm in the bullpen. If Roenicke is going to be stubborn and use a designated 8th inning guy, Melvin needs to get him a reliable 8th inning guy. Trading with the Mets might work if they are interested in taking some cash. But there are plenty of other teams out there interested in relief pitchers with more to give up. If we are really "all in" this year, do we trade another decent prospect? I agree that a new shortstop could help, but the improvement would probably be marginal. Yuni's going to play out the year, whether we like it or not.

Like others have suggested, 3B is the best position to make improvements. McGehee likely has the next 6 games to make significant strides or he will lose his starting position.

I would like to see one new arm in the bullpen and a change to the bench. The areas of concern mostly relate to games when the starter gets pulled early. If the starting pitching is solid, many of these other problems tend to fade into the background, as they did in May-early June.

What games are you guys blaming everything on Betancourt and Kotsay watching?

"Massive holes in the spots Melvin messed with"?? Like CF where he picked up Nyjer Morgan for essentially a bag of balls? Betancourt's hitting .284 since June 1. Sure he'll drive you nuts some times with his approach at the plate, but he's not kicking balls all over in the field, and he figures to still get his share of hits. Kotsay's no worse than what most teams have as extra outfielders. Scour other rosters and see for yourself.

The guys killing this team are Greinke, McGehee and Loe and the manager. Greinke's pitching like Manny Parra without the walks. McGehee looks lost. Loe can be dominant but when he's not, he's putrid. Roenicke is slow to recognize when his pitcher just doesn't have it. It's obvious with Loe from his first batter.

Another guy they need to pick it up is Corey Hart, who again seems content with just being average.

You want to pick on the bench, focus on Craig Counsell, who's hitting a career low .183.

What games are you guys blaming everything on Betancourt and Kotsay watching?

"Massive holes in the spots Melvin messed with"?? Like CF where he picked up Nyjer Morgan for essentially a bag of balls? Betancourt's hitting .284 since June 1. Sure he'll drive you nuts some times with his approach at the plate, but he's not kicking balls all over in the field, and he figures to still get his share of hits. Kotsay's no worse than what most teams have as extra outfielders. Scour other rosters and see for yourself.

The guys killing this team are Greinke, McGehee and Loe and the manager. Greinke's pitching like Manny Parra without the walks. McGehee looks lost. Loe can be dominant but when he's not, he's putrid. Roenicke is slow to recognize when his pitcher just doesn't have it. It's obvious with Loe from his first batter.

Another guy they need to pick it up is Corey Hart, who again seems content with just being average.

You want to pick on the bench, focus on Craig Counsell, who's hitting a career low .183.

I agree with all of this. Loe is a ROOGY and should only be used as that. 9 blown opportunities is ridiculous. If you want to focus on 1 thing and 1 person, pick Loe. He has his hand in 9 losses where we had leads late in the game.

Up next in order of need to replace/fix is McGehee. He is hitting .230. At 3rd base!!!

Greinke has just been a huge dissapointment, but somehow the crew has complied an 8-4 record in games he has pitched in. I also agree that Counsell needs to go as he is the worst bench option we have.

I would give Gamel some time at 3b and that is about it. Saying these in house moves are easy upgrades is not that easy. All the stuff with the manager, Melvin, and Yuni are not worth commenting about. There will be moves made after the break and we will see if we can get a guy that can help the bullpen.

Yesterday's game had better been it for Loe as a setup. I think Doug's first and possibly only trade will be for a reliable rubber armed reliever. Internally, something will be done with 3rd over the All Start break. If Yuni continues to hit on occasion, he will continue through the season at ss. Gamel and Green are their only real trading chips if they want to get an impact player. To trade either would be a huge mistake. (Unless of course Prince agrees to a reasonable extension in the next couple weeks.)

1) Saito, Hawkins and Braddock share important innings leading up to Axford. Loe has been the biggest disaster all year, and that's saying a lot when your 3B is on pace for the worst year for a 3B in the modern era. Having him as a middle reliever isn't bad, but get him out of the 8th inning role ASAP. We don't need to trade, we've got better options which we aren't using.

2) Green replaces Wilson on the 25-man to split time with McGehee. Green is tearing up AAA, and plays 2b/3b. He would be a big addition to this team.

3) Boggs, Carroll or Gindl replace Kotsay. Boggs seems to get the attention here, but any of the three would be an upgrade. Katin would probably be an upgrade as well, but I think he's hurt.

All of these moves cost nothing and make us a better team.

If we can find a decent SS or reliever in trade, that's great. Just making the free moves above would make a big difference.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The best thing Melvin could do is turn in his letter of resignation. This team has a few superstars the farm system provided, but has massive holes in the spots Melvin messed with. We have a massive negative at SS while JJ Hardy stars for another team. The farm system has less talent than it had the day Melvin took over. He has done nothing for this organization.

Come on. I know the team is frustrating right now, but we are still barely out of first place. I we really going to start resorting to this time of hyperbolic vent thread type posting?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They could use another reliable arm in the bullpen.

The team's bullpen has a 3.94 ERA, which isn't bad. The problem is some of its best relievers pitch the lowest leverage innings, while its worst reliever pitching in the highest leverage situations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Ultimately I don't think the team can improve by more than 1-2 wins without going outside the organization. However, in a division as tight as the central a single additional win can very easily be the difference between a playoff appearance and another forgettable season.

First, I'd drop Kotsay for Boggs. Carroll has had a nice season but I like Boggs' ability to play CF, which just makes him a bit more versatile.

Second, I'd bring up Taylor Green after the all-star break and consider sending McGehee down to AAA for a couple weeks to figure things out. Ideally Green would be able to stay in AAA the whole season to develop, but I just don't think that's a luxury the Brewers have right now. I'm uncomfortable with Gamel playing 3B for an extended period of time; it's really too bad he didn't get much experience in the corner outfield in AAA.

As for SS, it might be time to get creative.

Come on. I know the team is frustrating right now, but we are still barely out of first place. I we really going to start resorting to this time of hyperbolic vent thread type posting?

The team is frusterating right now? Melvin's record as Brewers GM is very poor, and the state of the organization has not improved. We could ask Melvin to make moves, but history tells us that the only moves that help this team during the Melvin era is to promote former high draft picks. Many of the best from recent drafts have been traded. Melvin has run out of bullets without hitting the target.

Melvin's record as Brewers GM is very poor, and the state of the organization has not improved.
If that isn't hyperbolic I don't know what is. When Melvin took over the franchise, it was one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports. For the past five years, this team has been both competitive and exciting.

How has the state of this organization now improved since 2002? I'm not saying this improvement should be attributed to Doug Melvin entirely, but to deny that this organization is in better shape right now than in 2002 is comical.

They could use another reliable arm in the bullpen.

The team's bullpen has a 3.94 ERA, which isn't bad. The problem is some of its best relievers pitch the lowest leverage innings, while its worst reliever pitching in the highest leverage situations.

So what you are saying is the manager has to be fired. Probably the most important judgment of a manager is how he manages his pitching staff. If the bullpen is consistently blowing games despite having a "not bad" 3.94 ERA, then the manager must be an incredible idiot and should be replaced right away.

I'll put the Melvin bashing on hold and play along.

Trade for Jamey Carrol. If Betancourt and Wilson aren't included in that deal, release both. I wouldn't even want them in AAA. Send down McGehee. Play Gamel at 3B. Release Kotsay. Promote Boggs and McClendon. Trade for a reserve 3b/OF who hits lefties well. Kind of like Mike Morse was a few years ago, that I wanted to aquire numerous times.

I just don't see the Crew being able to make a trade to really help them. They just can't afford to continue to trade top prospects. If they are able to make a trade SS must be upgraded.

Other idea's DFA Wilson and bring up Green. Either that or send Casey down and bring up Green.

RR NEEDS to stop messing around with his bullpen. Loe is NOT an 8th inning guy PERIOD. Use him in mop up duty only. Saito was brought in to be the 8th inning guy. Use him now!

Yuni B as your 5th hitter? Really?

Get rid of Kotsay. Make Gamel your 5th OF. He can't possibly be any worse defensivley than Kotsay has been. Much more upside as a hitter also.

Hyperbole? You may not agree, but it's hardly an outrageous claim, though I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not.

The positions that Melvin has directly impacted:

In the OF while acquiring Morgan was far and away Melvin's best move, but trading Hardy for Gomez stunk, plenty of people thought that was a horrible trade. Melvin signed Clark to a multi year deal to play CF, traded away Lee and Cruz for Mench, Nix, and Cordero effectively blocking a superior player in Hart and giving up a tremendous all around player in Cruz.

We traded 2 MLB SS in 3 years are now stuck with Betancourt. A hot couple of weeks doesn't make Betancourt a good player and he's a pretty terrible defender by any measure this has previously been discussed in detail in other threads.

Many of us warned that McGehee wouldn't hit like he did in 2009 ever again and Melvin nearly signed him to a horrible extension. His defense has gotten progressively worse and his bat is rapidly declining. Before him it was extending Hall to play 3rd/CF, whom many of us never believed in either. Hall was a very popular player around here and i was in the vast minority opinion wise, but that doesn't change the fact that his contract extension was a horrible flop. Before Hall it was extending Helms.

Plenty of people have railed away on the bench and the bullpen, not going to rehash all of that here.

Outside of Cameron and possibly Wolf, his moves in free agency have been pretty atrocious, mostly on the pitching side, also previously documented. While he did aquire Sabathia, Greinke, and Marcum via trade and not free agency, he paid very steep prices to do so. This is mostly a matter of opinion in the short term but it's been discussed enough that people should at least be able to accept a dissenting opinion on the subject as a legit counter point. It's hard to give him credit for being agressive in trading for 2 pitchers that won CY awards, most posters on this site would have happily made either trade, and all 3 players were extremely safe players given their MLB track records. There's very little short term risk in those moves.

He also wasted resources acquiring pieces that weren't going to make the difference getting the team into the post season in Lopez and Linebrink. Had the Mets not collapsed in 2008 Sabathia wouldn't have even been enough, sometimes it seems like people forget that it looked for most of Sept like the Brewers were on the outside looking in. Again it's not trading players, it's moving assets for no tangible long term benefit that's the problem. He also traded Overbay who's still in the league for 2 players that aren't and 1 who's barely hanging on.

The farm system is as weak now as it was in the late 90s/early 2000s since the system graduated the current MLB team and then Melvin traded anyone of value in the 2nd wave away for various short term solutions while his pick to replace Jack Z (whom he inherited) in Seid hasn't been able to replenish the talent well hardly at all.

Also on the minor league side the team hasn't solved any of it's obvious developmental flaws at all under Nichols who came with Melvin. The system is still only producing 1 starting pitcher every 6 years, the players coming up from the minors are not defensively sound (a natural in Hardy is the only player that was), and the players are fundamentally weak in every aspect of the game.

Manager wise we went from Yost, to Macha, to RR... I don't see a net gain in that chain of events either.

While Melvin resigning would solve any of the team's current problems, I'd be alright with it as it would potentially make the organization stronger moving forward.

As far as the topic itself, as others have said the best moves can be made entirely from within the organization itself. The simple truth is the organization has extremely limited depth so every spot that's unperforming and every injury is extremely costly and the situation magnified given the stakes. It's fair to say the vast majority of posters on the site think this should be a playoff team, especially in a weak division, so every mistake is going to get beat into the ground.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really don't think there's anything to do unless some other team makes a huge mistake via a trade. Loe sucks. Too true. But I don't believe in Saito because of injury and age--ditto on Hawkins. Braddock is actually my biggest diasappointment as he's turned into the dreaded "headcase". I don't expect any thing from him for the rest of his career--can't sleep, can't make meetings, save me from players like this. I do believe that Green will be much worse offensively than Casey (yes, you read that right--I think he'll hit with even less power and will not come close to .230), but the improvement on defense will probably make it a push. Greinke has always been a headcase and any thing we get from him is a bonus. Gallardo is driving me crazy. He's doing his best Ben Sheets impression--a two pitch pitcher--unfortunately he doesn't have Sheets' stuff, so I expect him to decline as the season goes on. Boggs is better than Kotsay? Maybe. I see no evidence that the change would be significant--they both don't deserve major league paychecks. Having said all that, all the suggested changes need to happen just in case there's an anomaly. The "all in" hasn't really worked. This is a team that should be significantly better than the rest of the division given the Big Six (Fielder, Braun, Weeks, Gallardo, Grienke, Marcum) so in the end I think that management has to take the blame--starting with the minor league system 1st, continuing with the GM circle next, and finally giving RR very little further rope because of his commitment to non-performing players and his mishandling of the bullpen.

Heres my problem with what Melvin is doing, and coming from a Cubs fan, I hope thos doesnt come off as "trolling". The Brewers are essentially a small market team trying to live like a big market team. By this, I mean that teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Cubs can trade top prospects for veterans, and if it doesnt work out, they can fill those spots via free agency. Teams like the Brewers, on the other hand rely much more heavily on those prospects, and if they do trade them for guys that dont work out, it could hurt them for several years to come unless they get very lucky in the next few drafts. If these trades they made, gets the Brewers into contention for the next year or 2, but Lawrie, Escobar, Jefress etc. become superstars while the Brewers are stuck in a 3-5 year rebuilding phase after Fielder, Greinke, and Marcum skip town, are those trades considered successes? I truely feel as though the Brewers are the best team overall in the NL Central for now, but I dont see them as good enough to beat the Phillies or Giants in a 3 game playoff series, and the farm system doesnt have any more spare parts to make them better, unless DM can pull another rabbit out of a hat like he did with Morgan.

Archived