Brewer Fanatic

If you're DM, what do you do to make this team better?

BadgerFan
I have to believe we could see Green called up after the All-Star break. Despite a couple timely hits, McGehee has still been pretty bad of late. That coupled with his bad defense, means he should either take a bench role or go to Nashville. I don't think they'll mess with Gamel at 3B much more at this point. Clearly his glove doesn't play at the hot corner.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to believe we could see Green called up after the All-Star break. Despite a couple timely hits, McGehee has still been pretty bad of late. That coupled with his bad defense, means he should either take a bench role or go to Nashville. I don't think they'll mess with Gamel at 3B much more at this point. Clearly his glove doesn't play at the hot corner.

Yeah, as much as I like Gamel, he shouldn't be playing 3rd. Obviously he isn't going to get much time at 1st and if they aren't going to use him in the outfield, I would just send him back down and bring up Green. Ideally, I would cut Kotsay and use Gamel in his role (he can't be worse than Kotsay in the field) and bring up Green. If Gamel isn't going to get semi-regular playing time (not at 3rd, he should never be used there), he should be sent back down.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

DM should start by doing what seems obvious and cut either Council or Wilson (I don't really care which one). Also after the all star break someone needs to be added to the bullpen. The last two games the pen was pushed to the limit. After this, I'd find a ss that can at least field and get a sac bunt down(furcal?) and call up Green to see what he can do.

We need a real SS and to DFA Betancourt. He is brings absolutely nothing positive to the team. I don't care if they have to bring up a guy for A ball, anybody would be better.

How about getting a time machine and not releasing Mike Adams in the first place?
Like JJ Hardy and Nelson Cruz, some guys need to get dumped once or twice before they get their head out of their read end and realize they are not prima donnas and make adjustments and listen to coaching.

• 3 months later...

Here are my thoughts on how to build for 2012 and beyond.

Option 1: This Option is fairly safe and allows financial and roster flexibility going forward while at the same time providing some protection in case Green and/or Gamel don't work out. I figure Gamel could take over the Kotsay role and since McGehee is likely un-tradeable, he would be kept as insurance in case Green and Gamel both fail. This option also allows for a possibility for extending Grienke while providing protection if the cost is too high.

Total Estimated Cost: 88.545 million (obviously this is going to vary depending upon actual contracts and arbitration awards).

• Sign: Hairston (1yr 2M) Barmes (2 yrs 9M - 4.5per), A. Ramirez (2 yrs 22M - 11per), Saito (1 yr 1.75M) and Hawkins (1 yr 4M)
  • Trade: Marcum and Gindl to the Yankees for Betances or Banuelos
  • Extend: Grienke

C- Lucroy - $414K

1b - Ramirez - 11M

2b - Weeks - 10M

SS - Barmes - 4.5M

3b - Green -414K

LF - Braun - 6M

CF - Morgan - 1.9M

RF - Hart - 9M

B/U - Hairston - 2M

B/C- Maldonado - 414K

B/3b-1b- McGehee - 3.1M

B/OF - Gomez -1.8M

B/OF-1b - Gamel - 414K

SP1 - Gallardo - 5.5M

SP2 - Greinke - 13.5M

SP3 - Wolf - 9.5M

SP4 - Betances or Banuelos - 414K

SP5 - Narveson - 441K

Longman - Estrada - 414K

Cl - Axford - 442K

RP - Saito - 1.75M

RP - Hawkins - 4M

RP - Loe - 800K

RP - Kintzler/Braddock/Rogers/Stetter/Fiers/De La Cruz/ Manzanillo/Meadows - 414K

RP - Kintzler/Braddock/Rogers/Stetter/Fiers/De La Cruz/ Manzanillo/Meadows - 414K

Option 2: This is the option I think would get me more excited but may hurt our long-term financial flexibility too much to be worth it, doesn't provide much protection if Gamel and Green turn out to be duds and also leaves the bullpen fairly questionable.

Total Estimated Cost: 88.259 million (obviously this is going to vary depending upon actual contracts and arbitration awards).

• Sign: Hairston (1yr 2M), Jose Reyes (5 yrs 90M - 18per), Saito (1 yr 1.75M), Kotsay (1 yr 800K) and Hawkins (1 yr 4M)
  • Trade: Marcum and Gindl to the Yankees for Betances or Banuelos
  • Extend: Grienke

C- Lucroy - 414K

1b - Gamel- 414K

2b - Weeks - 10M

SS - Reyes - 18M

3b - Green -414K

LF - Braun - 6M

CF - Morgan - 1.9M

RF - Hart - 9M

B/U - Hairston - 2M

B/C- Maldonado - 414K

B/3b-1b- McGehee - 3.1M

B/OF - Gomez -1.8M

B/OF-1b - Kotsay- 800K

SP1 - Gallardo - 5.5M

SP2 - Greinke - 13.5M

SP3 - Wolf - 9.5M

SP4 - Betances or Banuelos - 414K

SP5 - Narveson - 441K

Longman - Estrada - 414K

Cl - Axford - 442K

RP - Saito - 1.75M

RP - Loe - 800K

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Longman - Estrada - 414K

Cl - Axford - 442K

RP - Saito - 1.75M

RP - Loe - 800K

Hse2006, just a note - Loe is arbitration eligible for the 2nd time. He will likely make $2.5 million or more in 2012. I believe mlbtraderumors.com had him estimated at around $3 million - but that seems a little high to me.

In my view Saito deserves just as much as Hawkins- more in my view. I'm not giving either of them $4 million though. I'd give each of them $2-3 million on a one year deal. As for Loe, either he takes about $1.5 million, or goodbye. No way would I pay him $3 million a year. Heck, with a decimated bullpen, it might be best to let him walk so Roenicke isn't tempted to start using him in the 8th again.

In my view Saito deserves just as much as Hawkins- more in my view. I'm not giving either of them $4 million though. I'd give each of them $2-3 million on a one year deal. As for Loe, either he takes about $1.5 million, or goodbye. No way would I pay him $3 million a year. Heck, with a decimated bullpen, it might be best to let him walk so Roenicke isn't tempted to start using him in the 8th again.

With Saito being so fragile I don't think its worth the money because you never know when he is gonna tweak something and be out for a month.

bkroppy2, I love Marcum but he is our best asset for bringing back good talent with years of cheap service time available. If we could get Betances of Banuelos, which the Yankees may not be willing to do, we have cheap starting pitchers to fill out the back end of the rotation so that money can go to Grienke and Gallardo. If we keep Marcum and Grienke we risk losing 3/5th of our rotation with only draft picks as compensation.

reillymcshane, didn't realize that about Loe....I would go up to 1.5million for Loe and if it is more than we will have to look elsewhere.

I don't get the Barmes love. He's played his entire career for teams with great hitter's parks, yet has put up YuniB numbers. Is his defense so fantastic that he can be considered anything more than moderate upgrade/push over Yuni?

I don't get the Barmes love. He's played his entire career for teams with great hitter's parks, yet has put up YuniB numbers. Is his defense so fantastic that he can be considered anything more than moderate upgrade/push over Yuni?

His defense is above average but Yuni's defense is so bad (basically range) that yes he's a significant upgrade over him. With Barmes it's not about trying to get a guy who will hit a lot. It's about getting a guy who plays above average defense and has a decent approach at the plate (i.e. not swinging at the first pitch everytime).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Is his defense so fantastic that he can be considered anything more than moderate upgrade/push over Yuni?

Probably not; I think it's more that what he's good at is so direly needed as the Brewers are presently constructed. When Rickie Weeks has been your best infield defender for at least one full season, your infield defense needs improving. Barmes/Weeks is pretty solid in terms of defense, & I really think that's why he has so much appeal to many.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Barmes is a good defensive SS. Is he great? No. But watching him play the field, he does things very well. He doesn't make many flashy plays or have the strongest arm. But he is very solid in his approach. Defensive stats, which most will agree are a mixed bag, back up my assessment:

Out of 22 qualifying SS in 2011, Barmes:

• Tied for 8th best fielding %
  • was 10th in range factor
  • was 11 in Zone rating
  • had the 5th highest UZR (from Fangraphs)

This points to him being an above average fielder. Not great, but above average.

His hitting is slightly below average. Average at best. He has average to above average power, walks at a solid rate, but hits for a lower average.

All in all, it makes for an average SS. Fangraphs has him ranked as the 13th best SS in baseball in 2011. As 2011 was his best year (according to WAR), you can probably expect some regression. But even a modest regression still makes him a solid player. Not great. But solid. Especially in the field - which is where we can really use the upgrade. Certainly a big upgrade over this past year.

Archived