Brewer Fanatic

Braun's calf strain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The report again on Braun's injury during the broadcast (aka the info the Brewers provided) was a 'calf & hamstring strain'. This is a tendon issue, and could be a serious problem for the Brewers the rest of the way. I hope his exiting the game tonight was extremely precautionary. This lineup gets pretty ugly without him in there.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I read about inflammation near/around a tendon near the back of the leg,

but that is much different than a PCL injury both in terms of severity

and course of treament.

I got more curious tonight, & looked into this more. I think you're right & I was wrong -- this is probably not a PCL issue. Sorry I was so quick to assume I knew, what with my extensive medical training & all. Bear with me, as I think I'm doing this right...

The biceps femoris is one of the three hamstring muscles.

The fibers of the long head form a fusiform belly, which passes obliquely downward and lateralward across the sciatic nerve to end in an aponeurosis

which covers the posterior surface of the muscle, and receives the

fibers of the short head; this aponeurosis becomes gradually contracted

into a tendon, which is inserted into the lateral side of the head of

the fibula, and by a small slip into the lateral condyle of the tibia.

In layman's terms (I think this is correct), the biceps femoris muscle tapers down into a tendon that connects to the exterior side of the top of the fibula, & also connects to the outer-most side of the top of the tibia.

http://i.imgur.com/2vu0W.gif

(image source: http://www.dubinchiro.com/features/hamstring1.html)

I circled the area where I'm guessing the inflammation is located. That would be the bottom of the biceps femoris, at the point where it contracts into a tendon & connects to the fibula & tibia.

That would be a "tendon behind the knee", and clearly it can be seen how it would be felt in both the hamstring & calf areas. But I suppose it could also be off the semitendonosus or semimembranosus, the other two main muscles that comprise "the hamstring".

EDIT: I think you can feel (by touch) these two tendons just outside & slightly behind your knee.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Do you think Braun does a DL stint since this is the 2nd time hes been pulled for the same injury?
I would do it just to play it safe. I would've put him on the DL the first time around. He still would've been eligible by Monday, which in hindsight would look a lot better. We'll see I guess.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

With the troubles that Braun has been having with injuries the past few years I am beginning to become concerned over him staying healthy in the OF. I wonder if moving Braun to 1B might be a wise move in the next few years.

With the troubles that Braun has been having with injuries the past few years I am beginning to become concerned over him staying healthy in the OF. I wonder if moving Braun to 1B might be a wise move in the next few years.

Yes please!

Pinch hitting him was potentially very dumb. He should have been DLd originally, especially since it included the All-Star Break. Now, pinch hitting him yesterday meant that it tacks on two extra games to his 15 days, since he didn't play the day before. It just seems like this won't heal without a long stint of rest.

It's not like anything has kept him out long, though. He's played over 150 games in each of the past three seasons.

Exactly. I think that we're getting a little too sensitive to these minor injuries to Braun because he's such a valuable player.

As for questioning him playing, seems to me that the Brewers have a pretty good handle on their big leaguers injuries, and Braun's also been pretty good about taking care of himself. Seems to be a bit of a reach with the information we have to question them PH'ing him and questioning the Brewers for not placing him on the DL right now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Seconded.

Moving Braun to 1B might help keep him on the field. In addition, we could greatly improve our defense by moving him to 1B and signing a corner OF like Fukudome in the offseason.

Braun has not fielding instincts. I see no reason to involve him in more plays than necessary. I am also not sure that making him move around on every single ground ball would be any easier on him than LF.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brought this up in the IGT last night...thoughts?

Anyone else think Braun's shoulder getting fully healthy is a side benefit of the calf strain? He's been in a bit of a homer drought before the injury, but that's 2 days in a row with the full extension bomb. If his calf heals up ok, he could be in for a monster finish.

don't know about the shoulder (interesting theory, though) but I do know that after watching him for 10 innings last night (he was directly in front of us) he was CONSTANTLY (no exaggeration) stretching out in left field and still had a noticeable limp when walking back to his position after plays.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Interesting note pitchleague...the calf appeared much better on TV last night. That's a little discouraging. I wonder if he can still heal while playing? I just don't know the risk of aggravating it while he's out there.

If Braun's shoulder is better, he could return to the power stats he had in April/May...the calf could hurt his OBP with him not beating out all those infield hits. If that's the case, he should swap spots with Rickie and bat 5th until he can use his speed.

Archived