Brewer Fanatic

Braun's calf strain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carroll isn't on the 40 man roster, he's also right handed (Boggs is a switch hitter) so the odds of him being called up are lowered by that. Plus I don't believe he can play CF, while Boggs can.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Am I the only one noticing the year Brett Carroll (.300/.374/.505, 13 HR, 45 RBI, 12 OF Assists) is having at Nashville? Why does everyone assume Boggs gets a call ahead of Carroll?

No Briggs, you're not. I'm noticing Carroll (.865 OPS), Boggs (.875) and Gindl (.823)who would all be better options than Kotsay whether Braun is out or not. A healthy Katin (.938) would also be an improvement. I'm also noticing Green (.899 at 2b/3b) and Wheeler (.815 mostly 3B) who could help the team more than holding three bad SS's.

I would be happy with any of these OF coming up. I'd guess most feel it will be Boggs because of what Baldkin noted, plus Boggs was already up and he's also playing well at AAA.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Braun getting an MRI

Leftfielder Ryan Braun is having an MRI performed today on his ailing left calf, which is not a good sign.

Braun, who has not played since suffering the injury last Saturday in Minnesota, worked out and took BP before the game Tuesday in hopes of playing. He was not cleared to play, and manager Ron Roenicke said he was sore today, so the MRI was scheduled.

"It's still there so he's going to see (team physician William) Raasch," said Roenicke. "We're going to check it out and make sure that everything is OK. It may be a couple more days. (Trainer) Roger (Caplinger) still doesn't think it's anything big. But sometimes it goes on longer than we expect.

"I think he put a lot of effort into it to see if he could go yesterday, so he feels it a little more. But I also think the reason he feels it is he really didn't do anything the previous two days. Any time you start up again, even BP, it's probably going to be a little sore."

Asked if it was possible that Braun would not play again on this home stand, Roenicke said, "There's always that chance. I know he wants to play in this next series, especially against Cincinnati. But there's no sense taking any chances with it. It's still sore."

If Braun does not play the rest of this home stand, you have to wonder if the Brewers will sign off on him playing in the All-Star Game next Tuesday. Braun was elected to start in the NL outfield for the fourth consecutive year.

Roenicke said he didn't want to speculate on that possibility at this stage. But, when asked if Braun's first game back from injury should be the All-Star Game, he said, "It should not be."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Adam McCalvy posted a bit more detail on the MRI results:

He said his MRI revealed inflammation of a tendon behind the left knee, which is why Braun has felt the injury both in his calf and his hamstring. It would be a faster heal, he said, if one of the larger muscles were the source of the discomfort.
PCL inflammation is a bit more troubling than plain old "inflammation." Call me crazy, but that seems like a pretty big note to omit.

He should skip the All-Star game and rest it for 3 days, whether or not he plays this week.

If he doesn't skip it, he should play left field with about as much energy as Carlos Lee usually puts into it and then be done after one plate appearance.

I don't think he'll be playing ANY baseball until after the all star break. Thank god Kotsay is so hot!
They should just send Kotsay to the all-star game. The team is in dire need of some veteran leadership.

I really hope the club doesn't try and get Braun on the field until after the break. Losing Braun for 10 games won't be the difference between a playoff appearance and a 2nd place finish; losing Braun for 30-40 games due to some lingering nagging injury could well be the difference.

If Braun isn't going to play this upcoming series; just put him on the DL and bring up an OF that could actually contribute; rather than throwing Wilson, Kotsay, or Gomez out there

Seems if it is PCL inflammation that it would make sense to put him on the DL. Why not bring up a hot bat in Gindl or a guy like Carroll who is having a nice season.

If Braun isn't going to play this upcoming series; just put him on the DL and bring up an OF that could actually contribute; rather than throwing Wilson, Kotsay, or Gomez out there
If he wasn't going to the All Star game I think he'd be on the DL today. I'm beginning to suspect they're keeping him off the DL just so he can play in the All Star game. Which is not in the team's best interest. I hope Braun isn't the one making this decision.

Braun stated himself that if he doesn't play vs. the Reds he isn't going to play in the All-Star game. He was pretty straight forward in the interview with it and said it wouldn't be fair to the team to sit out vs. the Reds and then play in the ASG.

If they determine he can't play vs. the Reds I hope they just retrocatively DL him and call up someone. The series is too important to have Josh Wilson playing LF and also working with a short bench, weak as it is.

Braun said his lef felt better yesterday but when he tried to go 100% it started to hurt immediately. It didn't sound like it was something that would be better in just a day.

Braun stated himself that if he doesn't play vs. the Reds he isn't going to play in the All-Star game. He was pretty straight forward in the interview with it and said it wouldn't be fair to the team to sit out vs. the Reds and then play in the ASG.
I didn't hear that, thanks. It's good to know there isn't some underhanded wheeling dealing going on just to play in a meaningless game.

Brewers went 4-4 with Braun out of the lineup.

2 of the 4 losses were blown back-to-back 6-1 leads! We could have swept the Reds without Braun if T. Plush puts a bunt down!

Ironic, but thank god for Kotsay!

Put Braun on the DL. We had to have Kotsay up against a LHP in the bottom of the 9th on Saturday because we didn't have any better options. They obviously don't want Gomez to pinch hit. If Braun was at all even close to ready, they would have put him in to pinch hit Saturday. Our bench sucks as it is. Now we are supposed to play down a man?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

TH: Braun expects to play Thursday

Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun pulled out of the All-Star Game because of an ailing left calf but he just told me he expects to be able to play when the club begins the second half Thursday in Colorado.

"I think I'll be able to play; I really do," said Braun, who missed the Brewers' final eight games before the all-star break. "I feel good. Dan Wright, one of our trainers, is here so he'll be able to oversee my treatment.

"I expect to play on Thursday."

Braun was slated to start for the National League for the fourth consecutive season before suffering the leg injury. But he felt obligated to attend the event because he was the leading NL vote-getter among fans, and therefore was not going to no-show like a lot of other players.

"It's a lot different, "he said. "I always try to stay optimistic and try to stay positive and I think it will be a little more relaxing. There's less stress, less anxiety. I'm not playing in the game; I'm not particpating in the Home Run Derby.

"All I'm focusing on is doing my rehab stuff, trying to get back to 100% and be able to play on Thursday. So, I think I'll be able to enjoy the experience a little bit more as a fan of baseball. It's an opportunity to watch two of my teammates, who are two of the best players in the league. So, I'm looking forward to that."

Dear Tom H.: Inflammation of the PCL is not a calf injury. It's a knee ligament injury.

I don't know if the Brewers & TH just don't care that the injury isn't a calf injury & find it simpler to just call it a calf issue, or if they're trying to downplay that said injury is actually to a ligament. Whatever the case, it's (obviously) really bugging me.

At what point in any of the publicly-available information was a PCL injury mentioned? I read about inflammation near/around a tendon near the back of the leg, but that is much different than a PCL injury both in terms of severity and course of treament.

I posted about it, but Adam McCalvy was the source.

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...i-results-all-star-plan/

He said his MRI revealed inflammation of a tendon behind the left knee, which is why Braun has felt the injury both in his calf and his hamstring. It would be a faster heal, he said, if one of the larger muscles were the source of the discomfort.

Of course, McCalvy doesn't say PCL, but that's what the "tendon behind the knee" is.

Archived