Brewer Fanatic

Braun's calf strain

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's key is whether it's Grade 1 or Grade 2.

Grade 1 is Derek Jeter - miss two weeks (he played a AA game tonight)

Grade 2 is Jimmy Rollins last year - missed over a month and it hampered his production all season.

Be prepared for a whole bunch of Kotsay and/or Gomez.

A hitting streak remains intact when a player misses games. It also remains intact if a player appears in a game but doesn't have a plate appearance, or if all plate appearances result in any combination of walks, hit batsmen, defensive interference, or sacrifice bunts. A sac fly without a hit would end the streak.

Source… Wikipedia: Hitting Streak

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I know it won't happen, but two weeks of Gindl would be interesting. I wouldn't bring him up as a PH and 5th OF, he needs his ABs. But if Braun is out for 2- weeks, I think it would be a good move. Even Boggs as an every day starter would be better than Gomez/Kotsay. And I'm not even as down on those guys as most of you are. It's just that Gomez/Kotsay are fine in small doses, but Gindl or Boggs are more complete players and would be better choices for every day duty.

Hopefully they're using the term "strain" loosely.

It doesn't sound good. I'm pegging first game after the AS break for his return. Many guys hit the DL with this type of injury.

Well, if it is that at least the timing is good with three off days for the All Star break. Whatever his condition is, I sure hope he skips the All-Star game.

As bad as any type of injury to Braun could be for this team, I really hope that we don't couple the injury with roster mismanagement. If Braun is going to miss any significant amount of time we need to call someone up (probably Boggs) that can give us decent bench options. I don't want a roster space wasted on anyone nursing an injury that can't actually contribute to the game.

Boggs is nothing special. Would like to see Gamel start every game that Braun is out, either at 3B or LF. As challenging as it might be for Gamel to play LF with very little experience, he's not going to be much worse than Braun is out there and he has a better arm

I think Gomez was probably a better option than Kotsay today. I do think Greinke worries about the defense behind him more than many, and with Target Field being not especially homer friendly at least having an outfield that can run down most ball in the park may have settled him down a little bit. Of course, maybe he just tries to K everyone today and hopes never to have to turn around and see exaclty what's behind him.

The muscle injury to Braun, provided it's not significant in terms of actual structural damage, largely comes down to how well Braunie can deal with it. It's a very tough call and I doubt the organization will put him on the DL unless they have to, and then it will be a retroactive move at some point in the future. The upcoming homestand is a pretty important one, especially in view of what follows the break. They won't do anything to jeopardize the ability to play Braun in at least part of it unless they are certain that he can't go at all. If they do make a roster move quickly, I think that tells us a lot, and none of it good.

Boggs is nothing special. Would like to see Gamel start every game that Braun is out, either at 3B or LF. As challenging as it might be for Gamel to play LF with very little experience, he's not going to be much worse than Braun is out there and he has a better arm
When you put a player out of position in the majors you run a big risk for injury. I don't want Gamel learning the OF on the major league roster.

So we're probably looking at the same lineup tomorrow now, except Hart will be hitting 3rd instead of Braun. Not great, but could be worse I guess.

I'd hope they'd just move Prince up to 3rd and hit Hart 4th and Gamel 5th.

I know it won't happen, but two weeks of Gindl would be interesting. I

wouldn't bring him up as a PH and 5th OF, he needs his ABs.

I think we go a little overboard at times in demanding a prospect get at bats. I'd be fine with his progression if he came up and got limited at bats for a two week stretch. Obviously you'd prefer regular AB's, but it's hardly going to derail his development(not that you said it would) if he only gets 24-27 AB's over the next 15 games or so.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

When you put a player out of position in the majors you run a big risk for injury. I don't want Gamel learning the OF on the major league roster.

I'm not buying this one. I see very little injury risk for Gamel playing in the OF. It's not as if he's some big, slow, fat slob where you have to worry about him pulling something just running. The injury risks for a guy like Gamel going into the OF are so negligible that basing a decision on said odds would be foolish IMO. Now the fact that he's just not a very good OF'er as a result of not having played out there is a strong reason to not run him out there, not concern over an injury.

I'm not sure this is true.

Boggs isn't anything special, but you seldom are going to get "special" when replacing a truly special player on a HOF trajectory. Gamel does have, IMO, a potentially "special" bat, but that's mitigated by playing him anywhere but 1st where his defense will be terrible...at best.

And I also disagree that he's not going to be much worse than Braun. I think he could potentially be MUCH worse than Braun out there. Braun's not a great fielder by any means, but his familiarity with the position at least helps to prevent any major mistakes. Who knows what'd happen with Gamel out there.

A hitting streak remains intact when a player misses games. It also remains intact if a player appears in a game but doesn't have a plate appearance, or if all plate appearances result in any combination of walks, hit batsmen, defensive interference, or sacrifice bunts. A sac fly without a hit would end the streak.

Source… Wikipedia: Hitting Streak

Maybe you should replace Bill. Today's question was "If a player pinch hits and does not get a hit, does his hitting streak end?". Bills answer: "Absolutely yes".

Somebody should introduce him to wikipedia.

To be fair, I don't think the ideaa was for Bill to give a dissertation on all the possible permutations of a given plate appearance. The simple question, on its face, was to ask whether you can lose your streak if you make a plate appearance. Yes, you can lose your streak if you make an appearance and don't get a hit. You also might not lose your streak if you don't get a hit. But if the possible outcomes are hit/no hit, yes, you lose your streak on the latter.

Archived