Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 7/1 -- Thornburg fans 10; Scary moment for Helena's Brandon Williamson

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's Daily Menu: TGIF!

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Sam Narron at Round Rock (Rangers), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Live Audio Link

iPad/iPhone: Listen

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Huntsville: LHP Dan Merklinger at home vs. Mississippi (Braves), 6:43 PM gametime

Live Audio Link

iPad/iPhone: Listen

Live Audio Link -- Select the Mississippi feed from the MiLB main audio page

Brevard County: RHP Tyler Thornburg at Clearwater (Phillies), 5:30 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio available for this series...

Wisconsin: LHP Del Howell at Cedar Rapids (Angels), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Live Audio Link

Helena: RHP Brandon Williamson at Billings (Reds), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Dodgers' complex in Glendale; 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Athletics, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PCL American North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Omaha 44 37 .543 - - 24-17 20-20 6-4 W2
Memphis 42 38 .525 1.5 63 24-16 18-22 5-5 W1
Iowa 38 43 .469 6.0 58 21-20 17-23 7-3 L1
Nashville 37 43 .463 6.5 58 25-18 12-25 6-4 L1

SOU North
Chattanooga 7 1 .875 - - 4-1 3-0 7-1 W7
* Tennessee 5 3 .625 2.0 61 3-0 2-3 5-3 W4
Huntsville 4 4 .500 3.0 60 2-1 2-3 4-4 W1
Carolina 3 5 .375 4.0 59 3-2 0-3 3-5 L3
Jackson 2 6 .250 5.0 58 0-3 2-3 2-6 L5

FSL North
Brevard County 4 2 .667 - - 3-1 1-1 4-2 L1
Tampa 4 3 .571 0.5 64 3-1 1-2 4-3 W1
Dunedin 4 4 .500 1.0 63 1-1 3-3 4-4 L1
Lakeland 3 3 .500 1.0 64 2-1 1-2 3-3 W1
* Daytona 3 4 .429 1.5 63 1-2 2-2 3-4 L2
Clearwater 3 5 .375 2.0 62 2-3 1-2 3-5 W1

MID Western
Kane County 6 1 .857 - - 1-0 5-1 6-1 W1
Beloit 5 2 .714 1.0 - 3-0 2-2 5-2 L1
Clinton 4 3 .571 2.0 63 3-3 1-0 4-3 W1
* Burlington 3 4 .429 3.0 62 2-2 1-2 3-4 W2
Quad Cities 3 4 .429 3.0 62 1-3 2-1 3-4 L3
Wisconsin 3 4 .429 3.0 62 2-4 1-0 3-4 W2
Cedar Rapids 2 5 .286 4.0 61 0-1 2-4 2-5 L1
Peoria 2 5 .286 4.0 61 0-3 2-2 2-5 L2

PIO North
Helena 7 4 .636 - - 5-2 2-2 6-4 L1
Billings 6 5 .545 1.0 27 3-3 3-2 6-4 W1
Great Falls 5 6 .455 2.0 26 1-2 4-4 4-6 W1
Missoula 4 7 .364 3.0 25 2-4 2-3 4-6 L1

AZL Central
AZL Dodgers 6 2 .750 - - 3-1 3-1 6-2 W3
AZL Indians 5 4 .556 1.5 47 3-2 2-2 5-4 W2
AZL Reds 4 5 .444 2.5 46 3-1 1-4 4-5 L1
AZL Brewers 2 6 .250 4.0 45 0-4 2-2 2-6 L5

DSL S.D. North
DSL Brewers 20 8 .714 - - 9-4 11-4 7-3 L1
DSL Mariners 19 8 .704 0.5 45 9-4 10-4 7-3 W1
DSL Athletics 10 19 .345 10.5 34 6-8 4-11 3-7 W1
DSL Cardinals 8 21 .276 12.5 32 5-11 3-10 3-7 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Last night's Brett Carroll home run and a big Eric Farris RBI knock from earlier this week are the latest Nashville archived highlights at MiLB.com. Prior plays have been linked to on our forum earlier.

The Farris hit has to be seen to be believed for it's "you could only hit it there and live to tell about it" placement.

I have no idea how Del has a reasonable ERA with those peripherals, he was ascending for a while last season, not so much anymore. As he's left handed it would be nice if his game took a big jump upwards over these last 2 months.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thornburg with 3 IP and 6K's. I'm starting to get a little bit excited about this guy.

And Khris Davis with another dinger. He can really rip.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Thornburg with 3 IP and 6K's. I'm starting to get a little bit excited about this guy.
Nine K through five with three walks. There's no way he's going to escape a pitch count so we can mention there are no silly little "H's" on his line yet either.

We have one to watch, my friends. A nice harken back to the Yovani days. (Yeah, it's a college pitcher vs. high schooler, but you get it. He's the real deal!).

Where's Brevard audio when you need it?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We'll note it early tonight -- it's another Eric Farris at SS, Taylor Green at 2B night.

Actually, wouldn't we rather see Green more often at third base these days?

RHP Mike White starts for Maryvale tonight, that one-inning "scare" start was just a bullpen day last week.

Yawn, wake me when Thorny is in AA and given a challenge ha http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif unreal! Also when will Nichols notice or start to like khris davis? JUst dont get it..... at all

Final: Brevard County 8, @Clearwater 0

Clearwater Threshers

CLEARWATER, Fla. - The bats fell silent Friday night against the Brevard County Manatees (32-45) as the Clearwater Threshers (42-36) were shutout 8-0 at Bright House Field. The Threshers managed just two hits on the night.

Brevard's Tyler Thornburg (2-0) was stellar in his six innings of work, fanning 10 hitters and allowing just one hit. He was credited with his second win of the season. Bradley Blanks followed with one inning on the mound, allowing one hit. Jon Pokorny and Rolando Pascual combined for two more scoreless innings.

The Manatees backed their pitching staff with runs in the fourth and sixth inning. Khris Davis launched a solo home run, his 12th, for the first run, and Hunter Morris lifted a sacrifice fly to score Juan Sanchez.

Thornburg had a no-hitter working into the sixth inning that was broken up by a sharp single from Jiwan James. The Threshers did manage to draw four walks against the right-hander, but only had a runner in scoring position once all evening.

Brevard then fueled a five-run inning in the eighth coming from a triple to right off the bat of D'Vontrey Richardson and later a deep double to right from Sean McCraw with the bases loaded.

Clearwater starter Jarred Cosart (6-6) was the tough-luck loser, allowing just two runs on four hits in seven innings. He issued only one free pass and struck out a pair of Manatees.

How much longer can they keep up the refrain of Thornburg ultimately being a reliever? The dominance is such a breath of fresh air in our stagnant system. Khris Davis also singled and was hit by a pitch to go with his homer. His line is a frustratingly good .325/.420/.550. Maybe they'll promote him once his OPS reaches 1.000. D'Vo had two hits for the third straight night and for the fourth time in his last five games; he also stole his fourth base. Scooter Gennett picked up a hit and drew a free pass, and Kentrail Davis walked twice, once intentionally. Second big bases-loaded hit from McCraw in the last couple days. You read the recap right, Rolando Pascual pitched a scoreless inning of relief, and not just that--he pitched a perfect inning of relief. I'm scared, Mac.

Brevard County Top of the 8th
  • Scooter Gennett walks.
  • Kentrail Davis walks. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.
  • Hunter Morris grounds into a force out, first baseman Jonathan Singleton to shortstop Troy Hanzawa. Scooter Gennett to 3rd. Kentrail Davis out at 2nd. Hunter Morris to 1st.
  • Khristopher Davis grounds out, third baseman Jeremy Barnes to first baseman Jonathan Singleton. Scooter Gennett scores. Hunter Morris to 2nd.
  • D' Vontrey Richardson triples (4) on a line drive to right fielder Brian Gump. Hunter Morris scores.
  • Shea Vucinich hit by pitch.
  • Scott Krieger walks. Shea Vucinich to 2nd.
  • Sean McCraw doubles (5) on a line drive to right fielder Brian Gump. D' Vontrey Richardson scores. Shea Vucinich scores. Scott Krieger scores.
  • Juan Sanchez reaches on fielding error by shortstop Troy Hanzawa. Sean McCraw to 3rd.
  • Scooter Gennett flies out to right fielder Brian Gump.

Final: DSL Cardinals 5, @DSL Brewers 1 (8.5 innings)

Apparently Albert Pujols still knows some people in the DR. This game was tied 1-1 entering the 9th, whereupon the Cardenalitos scored four runs and...the game was called? Hey, that's not fair! The loss snapped the Cerveceritos' perfect 6-0 mark against their rivals, but it gets an asterisk from me. Recently unsuspended 19-year-old RHP Leonard Lorenzo pitched very well in his second start back: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 HR. He did, however saddle Elvis Mora with a one-out, bases-loaded mess in the 7th, which Mora got out of; Mora would go on, however, to give up three of the four 9th-inning runs. Deivi Mejia went 1-3--and that was the only hit the Cerveceritos got. Not ideal. Orlando Arcia did draw a walk. So did 17-year-old 3B Esthervin Matos, signed in March for $100k, who was making his professional debut. He's the fourth-youngest player in the system, after Arcia, Elvis Rubio, and Milton Gomez.

DSL Brewers play-by-play

Mora bailing out Lorenzo:

DSL Cardinals Top of the 7th
  • George Araujo flies out to center fielder Yonki Hernandez.
  • Alejandro Mejia doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Yonki Hernandez.
  • Jhohan Acevedo walks.
  • Leobaldo Pina walks. Alejandro Mejia to 3rd. Jhohan Acevedo to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Elvis Mora replaces Leonard Lorenzo.
  • Daniel Barbuena grounds into double play, pitcher Elvis Mora to catcher Natanael Mejia to first baseman Deivi Mejia. Alejandro Mejia out at home.

...before faltering in the 9th. This is what you call a big blow:

DSL Cardinals Top of the 9th
  • Alejandro Mejia flies out to center fielder Yonki Hernandez.
  • Jhohan Acevedo walks.
  • Leobaldo Pina singles on a ground ball to left fielder Dionis Hinojosa. Jhohan Acevedo to 2nd.
  • With Daniel Barbuena batting, passed ball by Natanael Mejia, Jhohan Acevedo to 3rd. Leobaldo Pina to 2nd.
  • Daniel Barbuena walks.
  • Pitcher Change: Doni Arias replaces Elvis Mora.
  • Amaury Capellan hits a grand slam (1) to left field. Jhohan Acevedo scores. Leobaldo Pina scores. Daniel Barbuena scores.
  • Fernando Baez grounds out, shortstop Orlando Arcia to first baseman Deivi Mejia.
  • Jose Gomez grounds out, second baseman Francisco Castillo to first baseman Deivi Mejia.

Final: @Huntsville 3, Mississippi 2

Dan Merklinger, like Tyler Thornburg, went six innings and pitched well--he allowed one run, Thornburg none--while walking four, but that "4" in the BB column just looks so much better when there's a "10" and not another "4" next to it in the K column. Rob Wooten picked up the save, fanning two over 1.2 innings while allowing just a hit. Lee Haydel and Logan Schafer each had two hits to set the table well for the Stars, and Martin Maldonado cracked yet another double, the fifth straight game in which the formerly light-hitting catcher has an extra-base hit. Sean Halton added a hit and Erik Komatsu a walk; Little Pine saw his average drop to .295 after his fourth consecutive hitless game (though in one he saw limited duty). He did steal his ninth base, though.

Come on now:

Huntsville Bottom of the 1st
  • Lee Haydel singles on a ground ball to shortstop Tyler Pastornicky.
  • Logan Schafer out on a sacrifice bunt, third baseman Donell Linares to first baseman Ernesto Mejia. Lee Haydel to 2nd.
  • Sean Halton reaches on fielding error by left fielder Dan Nelson. Lee Haydel out at 3rd, left fielder Dan Nelson to third baseman Donell Linares.
  • Zelous Wheeler grounds out, shortstop Tyler Pastornicky to first baseman Ernesto Mejia.

Nice job getting out of this mess with just one run allowed:

Mississippi Top of the 4th
  • Ernesto Mejia doubles (17) on a line drive to left fielder Lee Haydel.
  • Donell Linares walks.
  • Cory Harrilchak singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Dan Merklinger. Ernesto Mejia to 3rd. Donell Linares to 2nd.
  • Jesus Sucre out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Logan Schafer. Ernesto Mejia scores.
  • With Jordan Kreke batting, Donell Linares caught stealing 3rd base, catcher Martin Maldonado to third baseman Zelous Wheeler, Cory Harrilchak to 2nd.
  • Jordan Kreke walks.
  • Arodys Vizcaino called out on strikes.

Looks like Wooten may have a well-positioned Zelous Wheeler to thank for not having a blown save hung on him:

Mississippi Top of the 9th
  • Jordan Kreke singles on a line drive to right fielder Erik Komatsu.
  • Sean Henry strikes out swinging.
  • Mycal Jones out on a sacrifice bunt, catcher Martin Maldonado to first baseman Sean Halton. Jordan Kreke to 2nd.
  • Mathew Kennelly lines out sharply to third baseman Zelous Wheeler.

Ashley Marshall/Special to MLB.com

Tyler Thornburg sets high standards for himself. Even when he's putting up zeros and piling up strikeouts, he thinks he can do better.

The Brewers prospect allowed one hit and matched a season high with 10 strikeouts over six innings Friday, pitching the Class A Advanced Brevard County Manatees to an 8-0 blanking of the Clearwater Threshers.

Thornburg (2-0) said he didn't have his best stuff in his second start since being promoted from Class A. Still, he carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning.

"It probably wasn't my best performance of the year, but I was locating my fastball early on and throwing quality curveballs," the 2010 third-round Draft pick said. "My curve bailed me out of a lot of problems and got me a lot of strikeouts.

"I did know [about the no-hitter]. I looked up there in the third inning, but I know it wasn't going to be one of those nights. I wasn't feeling great."

Thornburg, who ranked second in the Midwest League with seven wins and a 1.57 ERA before his promotion, faced the minimum through three innings but walked one batter in each of his final three frames.

The 22-year-old right-hander issued a one-one walk in the first, but Michael Dabbs was caught stealing second. He struck out the side in the second and was perfect in the third before walking Jonathan Singleton with two outs in the fourth. He walked his third batter in the fifth, then retired the final two batters to end the inning.

"Definitely, those first couple innings were huge, but we were able to get a run early on. Putting up zeros was big for me," Thornburg said.

Jiwan James broke up the no-hit bid with a one-out single to right field in the sixth, and Thornburg walked Singleton again to put two runners on base for the first time all night. But the Texan preserved the shutout by getting Darin Ruf to fly out to end the inning.

"I started walking a couple guys in the fifth and sixth inning and I felt like I was trying to rush through them. I was trying to make too many perfect pitches behind in the count," said Thornburg, who will pitch in the All-Star Futures later this month. "I just felt like I was getting by.

"I was throwing a lot of fastballs early in counts and [James] jumped on the first one I threw him."

Thornburg turned things over in the seventh to Bradley Blanks. He lowered his ERA to 0.82 in two Florida State League starts and improved to 9-0 across two levels. In his FSL debut against Tampa on Sunday, the Charleston Southern product allowed a run on two hits while fanning six over five innings.

"I would say that with the middle-of-the-order hitters you have to be a lot more careful and hit your spots," Thornburg said of the two levels. "Other than that, there is not too much difference. I'm happy with how my season is going and I can't complain too much at all."

Blanks worked around a hit in the seventh to keep his ERA perfect before Jonathan Pokorny and Rolando Pascual combined for two perfect innings to complete the Manatees' eighth shutout.

Hunter Morris and Khristopher Davis each hit his 12th homer and drove in three runs for Brevard County.

FSL All-Star Jarred Cosart (6-6) took the loss after yielding two runs on four hits and a walk with a pair of strikeouts over seven innings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2011/07/01/KprsC2Gx.jpg
Thornburg is 10-0 in 23 career Minor League appearances. (Bill Mitchell/Four Seam Images)

Final: @Round Rock 5, Nashville 3

Nashville Sounds

ROUND ROCK, Tex. - The Round Rock Express scored five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to top the Nashville Sounds, 5-3, on Friday night at The Dell Diamond in the second game of a four-game set.

Sounds starting pitcher Sam Narron pitched seven scoreless frames before getting into trouble in the eighth inning, as Round Rock batted around and scored all five runs.

Esteban German reached on a fielding error to begin the rally and moved to second on a Joey Butler single. Matt Kata then cleared the bases with a double down the left field line to bring the Express within one run at 3-2. Narron got Kevin Cash to pop out and was removed from the contest for reliever Sean Green, who issued a walk to Julio Borbon. Round Rock went ahead at 5-3 as Omar Quintanilla tripled home Kata and Borbon, followed by a Mike Napoli RBI double.

It was Green's first blown save of the season as the reliever moved to 0-3 with the loss.

The Sounds have lost 12 or their last 14 games at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock since the beginning of the 2010 season, including the last six consecutive contests. Eighteen of the Sounds' last 21 games have been decided by three runs or less.

The Sounds put their first run on the board in the top of the fourth inning. Catcher Mike Rivera worked a two-out walk and moved to third as outfielder Caleb Gindl lined a base hit to center field. First baseman Jordan Brown then singled to right field to plate Rivera.

Outfielder Brett Carroll belted a two-out solo homer to right field to give Nashville a 2-0 advantage. It was the second consecutive night that Carroll went yard, and third occurrence this season that the outfielder has hit a homer in consecutive games.

Carroll extended the Sounds lead to 3-0 in the top of the seventh. In his Sounds debut, third baseman Andy Gonzalez singled to lead off the frame, moved to second on a Brandon Boggs sacrifice bunt, advanced to third on a groundout, and scored as Carroll singled to right.

Narron took a no-decision on the night, surrendering three runs (two earned) on five hits with three strikeouts in 7 1/3 innings pitched. After giving up two hits in third inning, the 2011 PCL All-Star retired a stretch of 11 consecutive hitters.

Round Rock starter Derek Hankins allowed two hits over 3 1/3 scoreless innings. Mark Hamburger (2-3) took the win with a shutout inning. Pedro Strop converted his fourth save.

The Sounds and Express will continue their series with the third game of a four-game set at 6:05 pm CT on Saturday evening. Nashville right-hander Amaury Rivas will take the mound (6-7, 4.18) against Round Rock righty Eric Hurley (1-0, 3.77).
The legend of Sean Green lives on. Gindl and Taylor Green were each 1-4, and Eric Farris joined them while adding a walk. Farris still isn't walking much, but his walk rate is quite a bit better than last year's. As MH noted earlier, Green was at 2B and Farris at SS again. Carroll pushed his batting average over .300 and his slugging percentage over .500.

Final: @Cedar Rapids 8, Wisconsin 5

Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers got out to a fast start against the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Friday night at Perfect Game Field. But, the Rattlers could not hold the pace. Leads of 4-0 and 5-1 slipped away from Wisconsin and the Kernels would score three times in the bottom of the eighth inning to break a 5-5 tie on the way to an 8-5 win.

Wisconsin (41-37 overall, 3-5 second half) grabbed the early lead with a run in the first inning. Nick Shaw drew his league leading 52nd walk of the season with one out. Mike Walker drilled a double to left-center and the Rattlers had a 1-0 lead. Wisconsin loaded the bases with one out, but did not score again in the inning.

The Rattlers had two out with none on in the top of the second inning. Then, TJ Mittelstaedt doubled. Shaw followed with a bloop single to right the sent Mittelstaedt home. Walker was next and he sent the first pitch of the at bat just over the wall in left for a two-run homer. Walker's thirteenth home run of the season made the score 4-0 in favor of the Rattlers.

Cedar Rapids (35-43, 3-5) got a run in the bottom of the second inning on a single by Carlos Lugo. It was the first of three hits on the night for the Kernels catcher.

The teams traded runs in the third. A sacrifice fly by Chris Dennis scored Cody Hawn from third base in the top of the inning. The Kernels got a run in the bottom of the third on an RBI grounder by Ricky Alvarez.

Rattlers starting pitcher Del Howell retired the first two batters he faced in the bottom of the fourth inning. But, three straight singles, the final one by Chris Giovinazzo, plated a run to make the score 5-3. Howell walked the next batter to load the bases. That ended Howell's day.

Adrian Rosario relieved Howell and struck out Jeremy Cruz on three pitches to escape the inning.

The Kernels cut into the Rattlers lead with another run in the bottom of the fifth. Ricky Alvarez reached on an infield single to start the inning. It took a two-out triple from Wes Hatton to get Alvarez in to make the score 5-4.

Lugo doubled to start the bottom of the sixth inning, but Rosario held him right there as he retired the next three batters to keep the Rattlers up a run.

But, the Kernels managed to tie the game in bottom of the seventh against reliever Brian Garman. Alvarez doubled to start the inning and was sacrificed to third base. The Rattlers infield was in and Garman got a grounder to first from Brandon Decker. But, Hawn bobbled the ball and not only did Alvarez score, but Decker also reached first. The next two batters also reached on a single and a walk to load the bases.

Stosh Wawrzasek relieved Garman and struck out the next two batters to strand all three runners and kleep the game tied 5-5.

But the Kernels took their first lead of the game in the bottom of the eighth inning. Cruz was at second with two outs when Justin Bass singled to center on a 3-2 pitch to get Cruz home for a 6-5 lead.

The single by Bass was followed by a Decker single that put runners on the corners. Hatton followed that with another triple. This one drove in two and the Kernels had an 8-5 lead.

Daniel Tillman entered in the top of the ninth. He gave up a two out single to Hawn, but retired the Rattlers without giving up a run and picked up his fifth save.

The final game of the series is Saturday night at Perfect Game Field. Matt Miller (2-4, 4.99) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Max Russell is set to start for the Kernels. Game time is 6:35pm. Tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:15pm.

Well, at least some of the hitters had good nights. Walker thumped the ball twice, Hawn had three hits including a double, Mittelstaedt doubled twice, and Shaw was on three times. Howell now owns a 22/28 K/BB in 43.2 innings while repeating A-ball as a 23-year-old. We had high hopes for him after the $260K bonus the Brewers gave to him in 2009, but's not really working out. Rosario struck out three and walked none in 2.1 innings of work. STOSH! posted the same K/BB in 1.2 innings, but the hits undid him.

Wawrzasek actually punched out the first three batters he faced, but then it looks like he hit some bad luck as the grounders kept finding holes before the big blow of the triple:

Cedar Rapids Bottom of the 8th
  • David Harris strikes out swinging.
  • Jeremy Cruz singles on a ground ball to right fielder T. Mittelstaedt.
  • Ricky Alvarez grounds out to first baseman Cody Hawn. Jeremy Cruz to 2nd.
  • Justin Bass singles on a ground ball to center fielder Franklin Romero. Jeremy Cruz scores.
  • Brandon Decker singles on a ground ball to left fielder Jason Rogers. Justin Bass to 2nd.
  • Wes Hatton triples (7) on a fly ball to center fielder Franklin Romero. Justin Bass scores. Brandon Decker scores.
  • Jean Almanzar flies out to center fielder Franklin Romero.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: @Billings 4, Helena 3, 10 innings

Helena Independent Record summary of the road game --

Big health scare for starting pitcher Brandon Williamson

BILLINGS — The Billings Mustangs plated runs in the ninth and 10th innings Friday at Dehler Park, beating the Helena Brewers 4-3 to move into a tie for first place in the Pioneer League North Division standings.

It was the Brewers’ fourth extra-inning affair this season, but the first time Helena dropped a game in extra frames. Billings second baseman Sammy Diaz was hitless in the game, but came up with the game-winning RBI fielder’s choice in the 10th to score Nick O’Shea.

The Brewers (7-5) led 3-2 heading to the bottom of the ninth. With one out, Devin Lohman singled on a line drive to center, then moved into scoring position off a wild pitch from closer Alan Williams. Williams relieved Jacob Barnes at the top of the inning. Drew Poulk then struck an RBI double to right to plate the tying run, and Williams worked out of a jam, striking out the final two batters he faced.

Williams, the league-leader in saves with three, suffered his first blown save of the season and was tagged with his first defeat. It was only a minor blemish compared to what Helena starter Brandon Williamson went through in the third inning.

Williamson took a line drive to the head off the bat of Kurtis Muller, causing a delay while medical personnel attended to the 6-foot-3 right-hander. Williamson was helped off the field on a cart before later being transported to the hospital via ambulance. A CT scan came back clean and Williamson was traveling on the team bus Friday night.

“It was tough to get that out of my mind,” Brewers manager Joe Ayrault said of Williamson, who lay motionless for several minutes but never lost consciousness. “I was thinking about him the whole game, and I know our players were as well.”

After the Mustangs (7-5) took a 2-0 lead in the third, Helena answered to tie the game in the fifth frame. Max Walla led off with a base hit to left, followed three at-bats later by Ruben Ozuna’s two-out single. A passed ball by Danny Vicioso put two Brewers in scoring position, setting up Adrian Williams’ two-run single to center.

Billings reliever Brooks Pinckard picked up his first win of the season, striking out the side in the tenth for a perfect one-inning outing.

Archived