Brewer Fanatic

Fielder captain of NL team in HR Derby [Latest: Picks Kemp, Holliday, Weeks]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An all Brewer team, awesome for us, not so much for the rest of baseball.
yeah, to be honest, I think this would be a horrible idea from a PR standpoint. We already have the Cardinals fans up in arms about how unclassy this club is. We really don't want the rest of the National League (and most MLB fans, probably) thinking we're a team of stuck up unclassifieds. I could imagine some backlash in the media as well. Chris Berman, for one, will be going absolutely bonkers that it's an all-Brewers home run derby, especially if they stink up the joint. And I can't imagine the fans at the ballpark would be too happy to see that either.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

From the way its been stated, Fielder and Ortiz are captains because they won the last two derbys. Ortiz last year and Fielder the year before.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

what happens if an AL guy wins this year? Does that mean Ortiz and this AL guy both get to be captains in 2012?

I read it the same way, the prior 2 HR Derby champs are the captains. It worked out this time but won't in the future.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

So why was there even a home-run-derby section of the all-star ballot this year?

Was there? (I never even looked at a ballot) I guess they changed their minds about letting the fans pick the participants.

Since it is a meaningless exhibition, it seems like letting the fans choose the participants would be a better option than letting a single player do so. Alternatively, why not just make it the top 4 HR leaders in each league?

AHA, it said:

If you could choose, who would you like to participate in the 2011 State Farm Home Run Derby? Select up to three players from both the American League and National League list below. Remember, we appreciate your feedback, but your selections will not determine the actual participants of the 2011 State Farm Home Run Derby.

http://webcache.googleuse...us&source=www.google.com

Verified Member
what happens if an AL guy wins this year? Does that mean Ortiz and this AL guy both get to be captains in 2012?

I read it the same way, the prior 2 HR Derby champs are the captains. It worked out this time but won't in the future.

They're just making it up as they go along. There's nothing to say this is the format from here on out. I bet they'll do something different next year.

Holden Cushner and Jeff Passan were on MLB Radio this morning arguing that Wily Mo Pena should (Passan) and shouldn't (Cushner) be in the derby. It was hilarious.

He's always been a 500-ft. homer kind of guy, like Branyan. I could see that.

- - - - - - - - -

I, for one, would like to see 2 HR's awarded for each 450+ foot homer, and 3 HR's awarded for each 500+ foot homer. Then put Branyan, Dunn, and other guys like that in the derby.

I would like to see Dunn in the derby too. With the way he's swinging the bat this year he might be the first player to ever swing and miss in the derby.

I would like to see Dunn in the derby too. With the way he's swinging the bat this year he might be the first player to ever swing and miss in the derby.
You know, I've never seen a guy swing and miss, but there must have been one instance of a whiff some time in the past years, no? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

Justin Upton

He has 4 of the top 15 longest home runs this year, plus he would be the home town hitter. He seems like a no brainer to me. I'd be surprised if he wasn't invited.

In addition, I'd add Howard and Kemp.

You know, I've never seen a guy swing and miss, but there must have been one instance of a whiff some time in the past years, no? I googled it but couldn't find anything.
Mike Piazza swung and whiffed a few times in the home run derby contest.

Bret Boone swung and missed in the home run derby held at New Comiskey Park a few years ago (what was that, 2004?)

- - - - - - - - -

Bret Boone swung and missed in the home run derby held at New Comiskey Park a few years ago (what was that, 2004?)
MLB swung and missed when it included Bret Boone in the home run derby.

FS Wisconsin is tweeting that Fielder has picked Matt Kemp, Matt Holliday, and Rickie Weeks. Apparently he'll be explaining his picks on the pre-game show.

I'm picking Rickie to win it right now.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived