Brewer Fanatic

Fielder captain of NL team in HR Derby [Latest: Picks Kemp, Holliday, Weeks]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would pick all Cardinals with the hope it would screw up their swing.
How would Chris Carpenter explain Ryan Theriot's presence on the Home Run Derby team to his son?

Teams of four, no? I'd take Matt Kemp, Berkman, and Bruce or Carlos Pena.

I agree with PEM, this is an incredibly cool idea. If he'd participate, Braun would probably get the nod over Rickie... I can't imagine Prince could get away with picking two Brewers, right?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I were Prince, I'd pick Counsell, Jason Bourgeois, and Jamey Carroll. Then I'd only have to hit 1 HR to get to the next round.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

i guess switching it up isn't the worst thing, this is a better idea than when we had players represent their countries i guess. it isn't clear if their is an individual champ or if just one of the leagues win though. there has to be a champ whatever format they choose.

i guess switching it up isn't the worst thing, this is a better idea than when we had players represent their countries i guess. it isn't clear if their is an individual champ or if just one of the leagues win though. there has to be a champ whatever format they choose.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...802&vkey=allstar2011

The format to determine the individual champ is the same as it has been.

The significance of having the two captains pick their teams (aside from the fun change) is that $150,000 will be donated to a charity chosen by the winning team's captain. Also, every home run in every round will count towards the team total.

thanks for the clarification, i'm on board, that is an awesome idea!

it will be interesting to see what charity Prince picks, it would be nice if its something local, the MAAC fund would be an awesome choice!

Community Moderator

Yay, my 3000th post!

Prince should pick the following:

1) Matt Kemp

2) Ryan Howard

3) Jay Bruce

I agree that Weeks would be a fun choice, but it isn't really fair to have 2 Brewers in. Berkman is too old, he will get tired in the 2nd round.

Community Moderator

Guessing is always fun:

AL is pretty much down to one open slot as Bautista and Hamilton should be locks due to their popularity and penchant for the homer. I'd say Tex is the favorite but would a Red Sox player pick a Yankee?!?! So I'll say Tex, Bautista and Adrian Gonzalez as a wild card team player pick to counteract the Yankee selection.

NL I'd say Ryan Howard is a good bet, I'd say one of Braun/Weeks would make sense. I'll guess Kemp, Howard and Bruce. Hard to pick divisional rivals and I'd think that Prince would probably go younger since he'd be more familiar with these guys. Braun would have been a lock had he not been fighting soreness in the shoulder.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

http://milwaukee.brewers....ey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Prince basically invited both Braun and Weeks to do the derby, and talked about possibly doing an all Brewer derby. Sounds like Braun doesn't want to do it because of his shoulder though, but Weeks will definitely do it. I bet he'll pick Weeks and then 2 guys from other teams. Maybe Howard and Kemp.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

When they decided to let a single player pick the participants, they should have made a rule that there can be only one from any team. With only 4 from each league, they should each have to come from a different team. The decision on whether or not to invite his teammates should have been taken out of Prince's hands.

In fact, since no one has been named, they should just add that requirement now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

While it'd be awesome to see Weeks in, he just doesn't have the type of aggressive uppercut swing that plays really well (IMO) in these types of events. As much as I think the whole "messing up your swing" thing is utter hogwash, I have to say, Weeks is the type of guy who I think could, every so slightly/potentially change his swing/approach for a derby, and then have that carry over.

Ultimately, I think it wouldn't happen, but I just don't think his swing plays well in a homerun derby.

I would love to see an all-Brewer team but I would think that Prince realizes that picking all Brewers would probably lessen the chances of him being asked to participate in the future. But if he doesn't plan on doing it again, he should just go for it. It would be hilarious to see half of the field made up of guys from the smallest market in the league. ESPN would not be happy. Maybe Ortiz could play along by picking 3 Royals.

Archived