Brewer Fanatic

Mike Cameron DFA by Boston

People in the know ... we would have to pick up his salary?

Fill in the blanks... Cameron has as much veteran leadership as _____. Cameron has more power off the bench than _____. Cameron plays better defense than _____.

Can this work?

Kotsay, Kotsay, Kotsay. I say yes just so we can start the untuckem again. Plus he's a righty with some pop, which we actually need. I just posted that new topic with talk about Kotsay being DFA'd when Saito returns, so I say do that. Then after interleague Cameron can replace Gamel.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Kotsay, Kotsay, Kotsay. I say yes just so we can start the untuckem again. Plus he's a righty with some pop, which we actually need. I just posted that new topic with talk about Kotsay being DFA'd when Saito returns, so I say do that. Then after interleague Cameron can replace Gamel.

I'd be good with it. I really don't see any value Kotsay brings to this team.

Cameron hasn't been the same since he tore his ab muscle (in May?) last year. I don't think he's even healthy from that yet. But... I'd be all for giving him a shot, especially if he could "try out" in AAA first.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yes please.

Kotsay goes out for Saito and Cameron replaces Gamel when Interleague ends. Cameron becomes the backup in LF & RF with Gomez and Morgan only in CF. Additionally, Cameron becomes the right handed bat with pop on the bench. And don't forget about his verteran leadership which was so high with this team in 2008 and 2009. Then just pick up JJ and reunite the 2008 team.

EDIT: Yuku issues remain. PEM you basically posted the same except it wasn't there. I second your post!

Kotsay goes out for Saito and Cameron replaces Gamel when Interleague ends.

I'd rather have Wilson go to AAA when Saito returns and have Green replace Gamel after interleague. That would give us a 3B platoon (Green / McGehee) and rid us of one of the three horrible SS's we currently have wasting space on our roster.

Cameron becomes the backup in LF & RF with Gomez and Morgan only in CF. Additionally, Cameron becomes the right handed bat with pop on the bench.

If Cameron's healthy, I'd just exchange him for Kotsay straight-up right now, because I agree with this.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd drop Gomez, Gamel, and McGehee to AAA and release Kotsay. I'd call up Green for 3b, Saito for the pen, and sign Cameron to be the righty complement to Morgan. With his power and defense, he theoretically gives us someone off the bench better than Wilson, however, I'd hate to give up Wilson's infield positional depth.

When I heard Uke talking about this on the radio today, I thought that the board would be blowing up. Only 8 posts? I'm disappointed in you guys... And no, I wouldn't mind giving him a look see if he's healthy, perhaps as part of a bigger deal perhaps throwing Boston a couple million of his salary if they kicked in Scutaro for some middling prospects.

EDIT: Didn't know Lowrie was injured, so this is probably a pipe dream. I'll send them Yuni as well if they'd like....

I have no idea what his injury situation is or whatever, but his numbers are terrible this year. If he can return to form it's a no brainer, but if that's the case why would Boston let him go.

Cameron has really struggled the last couple years, so I just don't see a fit. This is probably the end (or near) for Cameron's playing career. Just to recap his career numbers:

272 HR, 296 SB, 51.5 WAR

Never put up an incredible batting line but he was a great fielder at a premium position who swung a pretty good stick. Not to mention he was a total class act.

Cameron was really good while we had him. If we were going to get that Cameron I would love to have him back. I don't want 2011 Mike Cameron.

Yea, even with his limited at bats, his numbers are ugly and he is 38 years old, the end comes for all players where they simply just can't play anymore. We have Kotsay on our bench as a prime example of that.

My best case/dream scenario is Gamel sent down, Kotsay let go, and any one of Wilson/Betancourt/Counsell let go. Boggs and Green brought up, along with Saito added.

Cameron's done. He's 38, has aches and pains, and he's hitting a Wil Nieves like .149.
I might disagree with this though. Last year his split against lefties was .357/.438/.690... albeit in only 42 at bats. In '09 it was .271/.420/.534.

I agree the health is the main concern, if he can't get back from his recent run of injuries then this discussion is unnecessary. But if all he needs is to sit through the all star break and give his body a 3 week vacation... he could be an asset. It's worth looking into imho.

It's worth looking into imho.

That's probably a good way to say it. Kotsay's time as a Brewer should be coming to a close (not saying it is, just that it should be). We have multiple AAA guys who could fill the role better than Kotsay. If it appears to Brewers' brass that Cameron would be better than the AAA guys, we should sign him. If it appears the AAA guys would be better options than Cameron, we should bring one of them up. Either way, we should get rid of Kotsay and replace him with one of the better options.

btw, I don't want "Cameron's a good guy" to be the reason they think he's the better option. From articles I've read, Kotsay is a really good guy and quite a character in the locker room, but he's not performing on the field relative to our other options. As long as we're not bringing in a "clubhouse cancer," I want the player who will play the best baseball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived