Brewer Fanatic

Position player (Kotsay/Wilson?) leaving when Saito returns; Latest -- Nope, it's Dillard (Optioned)

Well, your dream world won't happen because they won't play with 7 IFs and 4 OFs. If anything Boggs would get recalled instead of Green. I think Wilson would be the odd man out if Green was coming up.
Why can't they have 4 OF's? 2 of the 4 play everyday anyway.

Some teams even use three :-)

Sure, they could have 4 OF on the 25-man, but I doubt they will. I agree with PEM that if only Kotsay goes, Boggs will come up. If only Wilson goes, Green would come up. Personally, I hope both happen, and the sooner the better.

Yeah, I'd be fine with both happening. I hope they do. 4 OFs would probably work, but I don't see Melvin or Roenicke wanting to do that. I'd like to see a bench of Kottaras, Counsell, Boggs, McGehee/Green, and Morgan/Gomez. That would look a lot better than what we have now. Then Melvin can keep working on adding a power bat to the bench, a SS, and whatever else he needs to improve the roster
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be 100% fine with Boggs coming up. Big fan of his. I just like the thought of Green because McGehee has been so bad, and I do not think playing Counsell or Wilson there more is the answer.

Sad thing is Casey was so good the past two seasons and seems like a really good guy, but he can't keep getting PT. He is killing the Brewers right now.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I would be 100% fine with Boggs coming up. Big fan of his. I just like the thought of Green because McGehee has been so bad, and I do not think playing Counsell or Wilson there more is the answer.

Sad thing is Casey was so good the past two seasons and seems like a really good guy, but he can't keep getting PT. He is killing the Brewers right now.

No doubt. I would have to think that if McGehee does get sent down at any point that Green would be recalled. I highly doubt they would go with a Counsell/Wilson platoon at 3B. I guess time will tell though. I think he'll still be given more time before they demote him.

Green can play the corner outfield spots in a pinch as well.
Does he have any experience in the OF? On BR, it lists him with zero games of MiLB experience in the OF. I'm sure he could learn, but there would certainly be growing pains.

A Counsell departure before August 14 would lead to no small awkwardness on his bobblehead day. I know the on-field factors should take precedence, but that would be a large fan-favorite miscue on the Brewers' part. During the Twins series last weekend, the charity folks ran out of Craig Counsell pins and began giving out extra Shaun Marcum pins. Dude is a MLB folk hero.

Bye to Kotsay --> Mike Cameron gets his #25 back --> ???? --> Playoffs --> Chris Carpenter tries to explain it to his son.

OK, not that simple, but it's not impossible.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Does Kotsay's roster bonus kick in at midnight tonight? Or does he have to be on the roster to start tomorrow's game? If it's the former, we probably would have heard if he had been released already.

Wouldn't another option be to send out Dillard or Estrada, and then bring back McClendon after the weekend? As much as I'd like to see them try to improve the bench, it just seems like Melvin has been been content with what we have. It's kinda sad, but true.

A Counsell departure before August 14 would lead to no small awkwardness on his bobblehead day. I know the on-field factors should take precedence, but that would be a large fan-favorite miscue on the Brewers' part.

Well Wickman was traded the day before his poster give away, but that was a different ownership group... Not that Bob had the following that Craig does, but he was actually a good player, where as Craig isn't so much outside of a specialized role.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Besides wanting to switch Kotsay for Boggs as everyone else does, i don't see the point of having all three of Betancourt, Counsell, and Wilson. Three shortstops and none of them can hit a lick anyways.

Dump any of the three and i won't care to bring up Green to platoon with McGehee. One utility infielder would be fine to handle the backup secondbase and shortstop job, it's not like Counsell or Wilson play much at all. Obviously a problem could arise if say Betancourt got hurt because then if Wilson was let go, Counsell likely is to old to play everyday. Whether it's Wilson or Counsell, i'd roll the dice on waiving one and only having a single utility infielder by bring up Green.

Why all the love for Boggs and none for Brett Carroll? I realize Boggs' OPS and OBP are up there but he's hitting .243. Carroll is hitting .297 with decent OBP of .371 and slugging of .498.

I'd like to see Gomez optioned and Carroll tried in the CF platoon. Carroll is tearing up lefties this year to the tune of .314/.432/.586. Plus he already has 12 outfield assists.

Boggs is much better batting lefthanded, so I'm okay with him replacing Kotsay. But Carroll deserves a shot in Gomez' spot, in the CF platoon and as a right handed bench bat.

Well Wickman was traded the day before his poster give away, but that was a different ownership group... Not that Bob had the following that Craig does, but he was actually a good player, where as Craig isn't so much outside of a specialized role.

After Wickman was traded he was still playing. Hell he was in a better situation. Releasing Counsell would mean his career is likely over. But, as Hawing said, it should be about the performance on the field. I was willing to give Kotsay plenty of time but it may be time to end it now. My first choice would be to send Gomez down and see if someone can't get through to him but that doesn't appear to be the case.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Doesn't Gomez have an option left? Or does his time in the majors mean he has a say? As I recall JJ Hardy got sent down with as many years of service and he didn't have a choice.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Doesn't Gomez have an option left? Or does his time in the majors mean he has a say? As I recall JJ Hardy got sent down with as many years of service and he didn't have a choice.
I believe its after 4 years of service time a player has to give his permission to be optioned. And Cot's had Gomez at 3 years 141 days to start the season so he should be over 4. Or maybe I'm confusing that with Gomez having to pass through revokeable waivers...

I think it is 5 years before a player has to give consent to be optioned.

Service-time landmarks

3 years

A player with at least 3 years of Major League service is eligible for arbitration. (Eligibility for arbitration also is extended to players just shy of 3 full years of service. See Super Two.)

In addition, a 3-year player may not be removed from the 40-man roster without his permission. The player may choose to be released immediately or at the end of the season.

5 years

A player with at least 5 years of Major League service may not be demoted to the minor leagues on optional assignment without his consent. A 5-year player who refuses an optional assignment to the minors must be offered his release.

A player with 5 years of service who has been traded in the middle of a multi-year contract may, during the off-season, require his new team to either trade him or let him become a free agent. If the player is eventually traded, he's not eligible to demand a trade again under the current contract and loses free agency rights for 3 years. However, the 2007-11 CBA eliminated this right for players signing multi-year contracts under the new CBA. Players signed to multi-year deals before the effective date of the 2007-11 CBA retain the right to demand a trade if traded during the life of their current contracts.

6 years

A player with at least 6 years of service is eligible for free agency.

10 years

A player with at least 10 years of service may not be traded or assigned without his consent, provided the player has spent the last 5 years with his current team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Gomez certainly has his positives especially defensively, but really is it doing him any good playing once or twice a week and only against lefties?

Carroll is having a really good year at AAA and is pounding lefthanded pitching. I don't see optioning Gomez as so much a demotion for him but a promotion for Carroll who at this point might be better suited as Morgan's platoon partner.

The downside is that Gomez is such a positive team orientated rah rah guy, and he adds that to the team even when he's not doing much at the plate so maybe Carroll replacing Kotsay makes some sense, but that would further lesson Gomez' opportunities.

If they send Gomez down, to let Morgan hit more against LHP, and let Kotsay play more CF, I will have lost all faith in Melvin and RRR.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If they send Gomez down, to let Morgan hit more against LHP, and let Kotsay play more CF, I will have lost all faith in Melvin and RRR.

My suggestion of sending Gomez down is tied to bringing Brett Carroll up. You wouldn't do one without the other. Carroll can play CF and hits righthanded.

I'm on board with Kotsay being cut to bring up Saito. Then make another move either today or after the Twins series to bring up Green or something. Only problem is Kotsay is Ron's best bud so maybe that's why it will be so 'difficult'.

My personal preference:

Saito up, Kotsay cut

McGehee sent down, Green brought up

Then maybe Gamel down and Boggs up

It just seems so obvious as all of those are in house moves that help your ball club out, some of them significantly. Boggs offers more offensively and defensively then Kotsay, Saito is your set up guy once he gets his feet wet again, making Loe your back up 8th inning, and situational Todd Coffey 2009 type reliever. McGehee is terrible right now so Green is an upgrade, and that way you don't have to cut Counsell or Wilson. And then I'm not sure sending Gamel down improves the team, but I think it's going to happen regardless as they want him to get consistent AB's and Prince plays everyday.

I'm on board with Kotsay being cut to bring up Saito. Then make another move either today or after the Twins series to bring up Green or something. Only problem is Kotsay is Ron's best bud so maybe that's why it will be so 'difficult'.

My personal preference:

Saito up, Kotsay cut

McGehee sent down, Green brought up

Then maybe Gamel down and Boggs up

It just seems so obvious as all of those are in house moves that help your ball club out, some of them significantly. Boggs offers more offensively and defensively then Kotsay, Saito is your set up guy once his gets his feet wet again, making Loe your back up 8th inning, and situational Todd Coffey 2009 type reliever. McGehee is terrible right now so Green is an upgrade, and that way you don't have to cut Counsell or Wilson. And then I'm not sure sending Gamel down improves the team, but I think it's going to happen regardless as they want him to get consistent AB's and Prince plays everyday.

I agree with this. The only problem is see is that Green struggles against LHP, meaning that Wilson may have to be his platoon mate at 3B. I'd rather just dump Wilson and keep McGehee to play against LHP.

But we want McGehee getting regular playing time. Ideally McGehee gets his 09-10 magic back. He probably won't do that as a platoon mate.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived