Brewer Fanatic

Position player (Kotsay/Wilson?) leaving when Saito returns; Latest -- Nope, it's Dillard (Optioned)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/124779273.html

I feel this deserves a new topic, but mods feel free to put it somewhere if you think it fits. Basically, Saito will be activated for the Twins series and they are sending out a position player instead of a pitcher. By the sounds of it, it's not gonna be Gamel. To me, that brings it down to Wilson or Kotsay. Roenicke is saying it will be a really tough decision, which makes me hope that Kotsay will be dumped and Gamel will stick around at least for the time being. We will probably all be disappointed when Wilson goes, but Gamel DH'ing this series in place of Kotsay gives me hope.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Roenicke is saying it will be a really tough decision

My first thought when reading this part was YB...

But, as I posted in the Mat Gamel first impressions thread, I was wondering if he has shown enough ability defensively at 1B to avoid being sent down for further development time and take Kotsay's place as lefty PH/backup OF/backup 1B. His bat is surely ready.

Roenicke is saying it will be a really tough decision

My first thought when reading this part was YB...

But, as I posted in the Mat Gamel first impressions thread, I was wondering if he has shown enough ability defensively at 1B to avoid being sent down for further development time and take Kotsay's place as lefty PH/backup OF/backup 1B. His bat is surely ready.

Yeah, I thought this as well. He's obviously preferred over Kotsay or he wouldn't be here right now DH'ing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yes, but that won't happen in this transaction. No way do they use Counsell/Wilson/Gamel as their 3B going forward. If Gamel does get sent back to AAA following the interleague, I'd imagine that Green is called up to start the process of replacing McGehee...

Haudricourt tweeted that McGehee has options and Kotsay has a $100K roster bonus due Friday. Doubt that they'd send Casey down, but maybe they want to save that $100K and cut Kotsay.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Kotsay hasn't played all that much recently. I think the writing is on the wall.
I sure hope so. Maybe that's why it's a "tough" decision for Roenicke. Because we all know he loves him so much.
I know we always razz management for liking Kotsay, but let's not forget that these are human beings on both ends of every roster decision. It sounds like Kotsay is a really good guy and someone people enjoy having in the clubhouse, so even though he may not be deserving of a spot on the team because of his performance/abilities, it is still probably "tough" for Melvin and Roenicke to tell him that he's got to go. I've never had to do anything like that, but I would imagine it is not easy to fire/demote someone you genuinely like and respect.

I'm not saying Kotsay shouldn't go, as I agree he's not good, but let's not always poo-poo the personal aspects of running a baseball team.

I have no problem seeing Kotsay jettisoned, or seeing Wilson sent to AAA (assuming he pass through unclaimed). I don't really want to see Gamel used as a pinch hitter. We have plenty of guys at AAA who could do that job, and allow Gamel to continue to develop as a 1B playing everyday at Nashville.

I don't know the exact timing, but I think all these moves should be made:

Additions: Saito from DL, Boggs & Green from Nashville

Subtractions: Kotsay DFA'd, Wilson & Gamel to Nashville

(Eventually, we will also add a SS and subtract Yuni, but that's another 42-page thread)

Saito takes over 8th inning duties, allowing Loe to be used more situationally. Boggs replaces Kotsay as backup OF / bench bat, only he can switch hit, so he's also the RH bat off the bench we've needed all season. Green can platoon with McGehee, shoring up what has been our weakest position all season (yes, even weaker than SS). Wilson remains in the system as insurance in case Yuni gets hurt before another move is made to bring in a decent SS. Gamel gets to play everyday in AAA, so he's ready to be Milwaukee's Opening Day 1B next year and for the foreseeable future.

These moves really answer most of the nagging problems this team has, with the notable exception of Yuni.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I have no problem seeing Kotsay jettisoned, or seeing Wilson sent to AAA (assuming he pass through unclaimed). I don't really want to see Gamel used as a pinch hitter. We have plenty of guys at AAA who could do that job, and allow Gamel to continue to develop as a 1B playing everyday at Nashville.

I don't know the exact timing, but I think all these moves should be made:

Additions: Saito from DL, Boggs & Green from Nashville

Subtractions: Kotsay DFA'd, Wilson & Gamel to Nashville

(Eventually, we will also add a SS and subtract Yuni, but that's another 42-page thread)

Saito takes over 8th inning duties, allowing Loe to be used more situationally. Boggs replaces Kotsay as backup OF / bench bat, only he can switch hit, so he's also the RH bat off the bench we've needed all season. Green can platoon with McGehee, shoring up what has been our weakest position all season (yes, even weaker than SS). Wilson remains in the system as insurance in case Yuni gets hurt before another move is made to bring in a decent SS. Gamel gets to play everyday in AAA, so he's ready to be Milwaukee's Opening Day 1B next year and for the foreseeable future.

These moves really answer most of the nagging problems this team has, with the notable exception of Yuni.

This all works for me. Makes a lot of sense.

I still think they will wait until after the Twin series to activate Saito. The bullpen will be rested going into Friday, so there's no need for a 12th pitcher. Then Gamel will go back down because there's just not enough opportunities.

Well, your dream world won't happen because they won't play with 7 IFs and 4 OFs. If anything Boggs would get recalled instead of Green. I think Wilson would be the odd man out if Green was coming up.
Why can't they have 4 OF's? 2 of the 4 play everyday anyway.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Well, your dream world won't happen because they won't play with 7 IFs and 4 OFs. If anything Boggs would get recalled instead of Green. I think Wilson would be the odd man out if Green was coming up.
Why can't they have 4 OF's? 2 of the 4 play everyday anyway.

Some teams even use three :-)

Sure, they could have 4 OF on the 25-man, but I doubt they will. I agree with PEM that if only Kotsay goes, Boggs will come up. If only Wilson goes, Green would come up. Personally, I hope both happen, and the sooner the better.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived