Brewer Fanatic

Mitre Returned to Yankees

Yeti73

I agree Nottso. Even if he was doing better in relief, I'd still want to see Estrada in the AAA rotation. He's our most viable option as an injury replacement SP this season, and we voluntarily eliminated him from that role by making him a reliever. I haven't been too comfortable knowing that Narron or de la Cruz could be in the Milwaukee rotation. We've just gotten lucky that no starters have been significantly injured since Estrada was made a reliever.

As for Mitre, it was an odd move, when we could easily have sent Estrada or Dillard back to AAA and we wouldn't have had to lose a pitcher. Even if Mitre's not that good, we don't have a lot of "MLB ready" pitchers, and we just gave one away unnecessarily.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The best stretch the pen had this year was when McClendon and Mitre were pitching well enough in their roles. Neither is with the big club any longer. In the meantime, the organization has screwed around with Estrada (starter), DiFelice (?), Hererra (disaster), Dillard (no defined role) and really gotten nothing out of it. Braddock hasn't done much either.

This isn't to say that McClendon and Mitre are really good, or even kinda good. I'm not saying you want those guys pitching oftern, or even ever, in high leverage situations. But the way bullpens work in today's MLB I'd rather have guys who are good in a given role than perhaps marginally more talented guys who are mismatched with their position. Of course you'd rather have a pen full of big power arms, but nobody has that and if a team did it would most certainly not be Milwaukee.

As good as the starting pitching has been you'd think this shouldn't be that hard, but the baseball operation from the GM down to the manager seems to have messed it up a lot worse than need be. They've been in a position of waiting for guys to get back, but they really haven't had to scramble because guys have gotten hurt in-season. It seems like they have just been making changes to make changes with some of these spots. It certainly doesn't seem like there has been much of a commitment to any sort of plan. Just waiting for Saito to come back isn't a plan.

Archived