Brewer Fanatic

National League MVP 2011: Braun = MVP! (reply #318)

jjfanec
I think that Braun has probably got it at this point- I haven't seen this anywhere, but has a 30/30 guy ever won a batting crown? If it happens, that's amazing. Prince just didn't sustain his first half pace well enough. That said, it's those two and everyone else- Upton has fallen back to the pack recently as well.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think that Braun has probably got it at this point- I haven't seen this anywhere, but has a 30/30 guy ever won a batting crown? If it happens, that's amazing. Prince just didn't sustain his first half pace well enough. That said, it's those two and everyone else- Upton has fallen back to the pack recently as well.

I looked it up the other day.......and no. If he does it, he'll be the first.

I looked it up the other day.......and no. If he does it, he'll be the first.

Wow ... If he adds the batting title to a 30/30 year. How could he not get it. Here is where he stands on some of the other leader boards:

Runs - 103 - 1st in the NL

WAR - 7.4 (2nd)

AVG .336 (1st)

OBP - .400 (4th)

Hits -179 (6th)

RBI - 103 (5th)

OPS - .993 (1st)

SB - 31 (7th)

HR - 31 (7th)

Runs - 98 (4th)

fWAR - 7.1 (tied, 2nd)

AVG .318 (4th)

OBP - .427 (1st)

Hits -178 (6th)

RBI - 98 (6th)

OPS - .971 (2nd)

SB - 8 (??)

HR - 28 (12th)

2B - 37 (4th)

BB - 106 (1st)

My gosh does Votto scare me.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If I were a Dodger fan, I'd be pretty upset if Matt Kemp wasn't at least in the top 2. I know his team isn't winning, but he is having a spectacular season. I don't see why Prince would finish ahead of him, but I could see Braun winning it over him.

The Dodgers might have the best pitcher in the league and the best player in the league, yet they are nowhere near first place in their division. Gosh darn those two for not making the rest of their pitching staff and everyone else on the diamond better!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Braun will probably win the award, but Kemp is having the more impressive season. When you factor in that he plays half of his games in Dodger Stadium (yes, its a pitchers park and that is a valid reason for highlighting Kemp's offensive numbers) and the fact that he plays another big portion of games in AT&T Park and Petco Park, he is clearly having the more impressive season. Throw in the Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, Great American Ball Park, and Wrigley issues, as well as having to face the likes of Bronson Arroyo, Jeff Karstens, Brett Myers, Bud Norris, et al for Braun, the choice is clear as to who is having the better season.

Matt Kemp .326/.403/.582/.985, 109 runs, 36 HR, 118 RBI, 40 SB

Ryan Braun .330/.393/.594/.977, 104 runs, 31 HR, 104 RBI, 31 SB

Yeah I don't know how people would be counting out Kemp. Statistically speaking I'd give him an edge. Braun has the winning team factor. I think it's still up in the air depending on how the final week plays out. If Braun wins the batting title that will help him. If he doesn't win the batting title, and Kemp continues his current tear, maybe Kemp is deserving.

This debate is actually simple. If valuable is at all tied to your team winning games then Braun wins it. If it is just about who is having the better statistical season then Kemp wins it. I have no issue if either guy wins it. They are both deserving and both will get a good amount of first-place votes. This is reminding me of Heisman Trophy debates when a guy from not a great team puts up insane numbers but doesnt win because the number 1 or 2 ranked team has a really solid player as well. In the end it is one of these two and I can see the debates for either one.

I want it to be a Brewer but Kemp is very deserving. Kemp is batting .600 over the past week and could end up winning the batting title.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

based strictly on stats, it's Kemp. plus he plays a more demanding position.

however, some people will discount him because he's not on a winning team. whether that's right or wrong is beside the point. some voters will look at the numbers and see two players fairly close across the board, and they'll look at that person's team, and they'll pick braunie because he's lead his team to the playoffs. again, whether that is how it should be doesn't matter. it will simply be the fact.

the key will be how many of these kinds of voters exist. but i think enough of them to give the vote to braunie.

if ryan can win the batting title, that might do it for him.

on the other hand, if kemp could continue his tear and win the triple crown, it would be hard to ignore him.

If Kemp ends up winning the Triple Crown, he should be a lock. He has been making a big-time stealth run at it because I haven't seen much coverage. In my baseball fandom, this is as close anyone has been to it this late in the season as far as I can remember.

What's crazy is had it not been for Braun's injury there would be two guys in serious running for Triple Crown. While home run numbers are down there have been some very good years by hitters in the NL

Agree that if Kemp gets the Triple Crown, he's a lock. However, while Braun may not be in the lead for RBI's and HR's....isn't Braun in 1st place for OPS, Slugging %, and Runs? Those are just as important stats for an offensive jugernaut than the Triple Crown categories. Without being a homer, Braun is the clear-cut MVP. Just because Kemp is having a better statistical last week than Braun should not discount what Braun has done the whole year (Not saying Kemp has been a bum all year either). All I'm saying is that I hope Kemp doesn't get the nod just because he's had a great last week of the season (the week that is the most fresh in the minds of the voters). Braun has had the pressure of being a MVP candidate for a winning team all season long while Kemp has had the freedom to be excellent for a team that has only been over .500 3 games ouf the year.

IMO, Braun beats out Kemp based on being on Division Championship team.

Archived