Brewer Fanatic

National League MVP 2011: Braun = MVP! (reply #318)

jjfanec
I feel like Braun has put himself back at the top of the list. He is now just 3 points back for the batting crown. His OPS is closing in on 1.000 and is tops in the National League. His OPS of .996 is solidly ahead of Kemp .968, Fielder .960, Tulo .923, and Upton .918. The guys in second and third Votto and Berkman dont seem like huge threats. I know Braun's defense isnt good but i cant imagine that keeps him from being an MVP.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the how Braun has picked up the steals lately, to the point hitting 40 isn't out of the question. Not that he'd hit 40 HRs at this point without going just crazy the last month, but without the short DL stint he'd have had an almost shot.

Braun's leading the league in slugging, ops, and runs, is second in batting average, and top 10 in every single other offensive category...he's having the best season in the national league...the only thing that could stop him would be a huge cold streak in septmeber, or a huge hot streak by fielder...

or, if like Brian mccann hits .750 with 10 bombs and the braves catch the phillies

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be shocked if Brauny slid down even to like a .960-ish OPS by the end of the year. It seems like he'll have streaks where he doesn't hit a lot of homeruns, but (and this could well be one of those pesky "perception" things, he seems to be a pretty consistent performer, and he avoids those month long 'cold snaps'.

After I typed that, I went and looked it up, and to back it up, his lowest OPS by month this year was a .796 OPS in May.

Unless he goes ice cold (which I just can't foresee, he's going to end up top 3 in hitting (if he doesn't win the crown outright), with close to 30 homeruns, over 100 RBI, 100 runs, 40 doubles, 35-40 steals, an OPS between .975 and 1.000.........

That's not quite what I'd call *gaudy* numbers, but I'd definitely say that's an outstanding season all around.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's interesting to talk about what exactly constitutes 'most valuable', and I agree that it really boils down to 'best player'. Each guy's value is equal, regardless of who he's playing for. If a guy is a 7 WAR player, it doesn't matter who he's playing for or the constitution of the lineup around him, replace him with a replacement level player, and that team's going to win about 7 fewer games.

Some recent questionable MVP's (and I'm not saying WAR is be all-end all, I'm using it as a quick and easy comparison number)

2007 NL Jimmie Rollins had a 6.1 WAR, 6 guys behind him had higher WAR, including Pujols, who had an 8.3 WAR, and finished 9th in the voting.

2002 AL MVP Miguel Tejada had a 5.1 WAR, runner up Alex Rodriguez had an 8.2 (and better numbers in every single offensive category, and it wasn't even really close). Tejada won his award based solely on the basis of the A's big winning streak late in the year.

1987 NL MVP Andre Dawson had a 2.7 WAR, meaning he was basically just above being average, by virtue of having a terrible OBP, and being a subpar defender by that point. Ozzie Smith had a 7.1 WAR, and was still an absolutely superior defender. This one, I know people love the HR's and RBI, but the voters flat out got this one wrong.

Braun is just stealing more bases to hamper Fielder's MVP chances. He realizes if he steals 2nd base than opponents will more likely walk Prince . This will decrease his RBI numbers and make it look like Braun is the true MVP.

Braun is just stealing more bases to hamper Fielder's MVP chances. He realizes if he steals 2nd base than opponents will more likely walk Prince . This will decrease his RBI numbers and make it look like Braun is the true MVP.

well he is helping pad Princes OBP. 25 of Prince's 87 BB have been intentional. Imagine Braun's OBP potential if he had more than 2 IBB.

Braun is really closing the gap now. Fielder is under .300 and Braun is closing the gap on most of the other stats. I think if he hadn't been hurt, he'd be ahead. I agree that Votto is in the discussion as well. Right now, I say:

1a: Fielder

1b: Braun

3. Upton

4. Votto

5. Pujols

Braun is really closing the gap now. Fielder is under .300 and Braun is closing the gap on most of the other stats. I think if he hadn't been hurt, he'd be ahead. I agree that Votto is in the discussion as well. Right now, I say:

1a: Fielder

1b: Braun

3. Upton

4. Votto

5. Pujols

I honestly dont know how you can have Prince ahead of Braun unless his being hurt has that much bearing. His OPS is considerably higher. He may have a couple less homers but he has 30 more SB. He also is better defensively at his position according every scout I have read and most say he is much better. Braun may not be good but Prince is really bad.

I still think Prince is number 2 or 3 but right now I think it has to be Braun. But as long as one of them wins it I will be happy.

I'd be happy if a Brewer wins, but if Prince gets it based on having more RBI and HR than the field I will be kind of upset.

Then again, if Braun finishes at around .335/.400/.600 with a 30/30 season (only 4 CS so far!) and a batting title, I can't see him not winning.

I honestly dont know how you can have Prince ahead of Braun unless his being hurt has that much bearing.

I've got to give Prince the edge slightly because he plays every day. I think there is something to be said about that when you are talking 'valuable'. To me, defense has no bearing, unless the guy is really good. That doesn't apply here. Honestly even for me, this is getting really close, because Prince has been slumping over the past week plus, not to mention he hasn't been hitting homers the second half- he's is going to need a hot streak, or Braun will probably overtake him soon.

I honestly dont know how you can have Prince ahead of Braun unless his being hurt has that much bearing.

I've got to give Prince the edge slightly because he plays every day.

Fielder has only played in 12 more games than Braun this year, so I'm not sure this is a big deal.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Braun goes 30-30 on the season, that will have to get him the sportswriters' votes, right? He looks like the best choice anyway right now, but I think a 30-30 season is something writers will go gaga for.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fielder has only played in 12 more games than Braun this year, so I'm not sure this is a big deal.
Honestly, it's like choosing one of the Doublemint twins to go on a date with. You can't go wrong either way. Just from watching the games this year, I'd say Prince has been slightly more valuable. He carried the team early and mid season when they were fighting for position. He gets props from me for rarely missing any time whatsoever. How many innings has the guy missed in the past 3 years? Clearly, Braun has been better in July and August, and as above, he's going to get 30/30 so that will help him. Additionally, if he gets the batting title it's probably a done deal. Gun to my head today, I still vote Prince, but that could change soon.

"I think Braun is stealing more bases to even his stats to make sure Kemp doesnt win MVP, not Prince... "

Do you guys really think Braun is stealing bases in a bid to win MVP? If he steals a base, and they walk Prince, that's 2 guys on base! That's a good thing!

We all have to remember that Prince isn't batting in front of Prince. I wonder how the numbers would look if Prince was #3 and Braun was #4.

Braun is one of the most consistent and smooth hitters I've seen in awhile ... but he has the honor of hitting in front of one of the most feared hitters in baseball too. Prince has been hitting all season in front of one of the most disfunctional #5 spots in the NL.

Prince has been hitting all season in front of one of the most disfunctional #5 spots in the NL.
This should tell you all you need to know. Lineup protection is irrelevant.
I don't think that was LFOs point. If Prince was hitting in front of Braun, Braun would probably have a few more RBIs and walks and less runs. The opposite would be true for Prince. These stats all factor into the voting for MVP.

Honestly, it's like choosing one of the Doublemint twins to go on a date with. You can't go wrong either way. Just from watching the games this year, I'd say Prince has been slightly more valuable. He carried the team early and mid season when they were fighting for position. He gets props from me for rarely missing any time whatsoever. How many innings has the guy missed in the past 3 years? Clearly, Braun has been better in July and August, and as above, he's going to get 30/30 so that will help him. Additionally, if he gets the batting title it's probably a done deal. Gun to my head today, I still vote Prince, but that could change soon.
But if Fielder can can get the homerun and rbi titles, it may be a done deal for him! This can be a close vote!

Archived