Brewer Fanatic

National League MVP 2011: Braun = MVP! (reply #318)

jjfanec
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, since the Brewers will be denied the Manager Of The Year award (going to Kirk Gibson)

If there is anyone who does NOT deserve the MotY Award, its RRR.

Never seen so much hatred for a first-year manager on a 95-win team. It blows my mind. You would think people would consider how he's improved team chemistry considering how much Macha destroyed it. Then again, the manager is always a whipping post.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Braun sat Monday with home field advantage on the line. Yes its foolish that Reyes is going to end up with like 40+ fewer PAs than Braun and still can win the batting title but that is how the rules are set up.
Braun didn't sit on Monday to protect a batting title he hadn't won yet. The premise (while ridiculous) was that RRR was resting guys for the playoffs.

And Braun would have been sat today except he said he didn't want 3 days off. Fielder is the only one Roenicke wouldn't even think of sitting.
The reason Braun sat on Monday had nothing to do with the batting title, so I have no idea why that is being brought up. Completely different reasons. Again, If Braun had a lead going into today where Reyes would have had to go 3-4 or 4-4, he would not have sat today with home field on the line.

SoCal[/b] Brew Crew Fan]So Reyes gets a bunt single to go 1-1 then comes out of the game so he can beat Braun for the batting average...somewhere out there Ted Williams’ cryogenically sealed corpse is shaking his head.

Technically I think his head was separated from the corpse. I don't know what ramifications that has in terms of which part is shaking.

So Reyes gets a bunt single to go 1-1 then comes out of the game so he can beat Braun for the batting average...somewhere out there Ted Williams’ cryogenically sealed corpse is shaking his head.
The worst part is that it was Reyes' decision, not the manager's. The manager let him decide what he wanted to do. Reyes said if he got a hit in his first AB, he was going to take himself out of the game. And you know he bunted because it was likely his best shot at a base hit (not that he couldn't have gotten a hit the "regular" way, obviously): he had only bunted 9 times all year, so leading off the game with one was most likely the best way to catch the other team by surprise.

This could actually help Braun's MVP situation due to the fact that he is getting talked about endlessly on ESPN today in light of the Reyes thing.

I am ticked at Reyes, hate that he asked for this, and hate that he had the nerve to pull such a stunt. That said, I would love it if the Brewers signed him.

If I was a .280-something career hitter prior to this season, I'd probably pull out all the stops to win a batting title as well- considering the opportunity isn't likely to present itself again. It's crazy with all the good hitters this franchise has had that no one has won a batting title. Coop and Molitor hit .350 but were bested by Brett and Boggs' career seasons, Yount was nipped by Wilson, likely the same thing is going to happen with Braun, etc.

Starks is absolutely right.

Sure Kemp may have better stats but like Starks said the Dodgers were playing spoiler by Father's day. Braun's efforts were meaningful and they showed. No way would we be in the playoffs if we didnt have Braun. The Dodgers though would still be out of the post season without Kemp, just with less wins.

Someone on the ESPN.com comments commented on what "MVP" stands for. If it stands for Most Valuable Player then Braun should win, if it stands for best player then Kemp should win. I think that's correct.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Starks is absolutely right.

Sure Kemp may have better stats but like Starks said the Dodgers were playing spoiler by Father's day. Braun's efforts were meaningful and they showed. No way would we be in the playoffs if we didnt have Braun. The Dodgers though would still be out of the post season without Kemp, just with less wins.

Someone on the ESPN.com comments commented on what "MVP" stands for. If it stands for Most Valuable Player then Braun should win, if it stands for best player then Kemp should win. I think that's correct.

Verducci at SI goes for Braun too. He essentially says the stats are so close, you have give to the guy who has played meaningful games for the past few months - something Kemp hasn't done.

http://sportsillustrated....index.html?sct=mlb_wr_a3

Agreed, GB12. To me "most valuable" simply means... most value provided. Aka best player. Like I wouldn't claim a ruby was more valuable than a diamond just because the ruby was in a more beautiful piece of jewelry.

Rooting for Braun, but think Kemp deserves it. Putting up the numbers he has playing half his games at Dodger Stadium, & most of the other half in the NL West... amazing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

MVP means whatever each voter thinks it means. Some see it as the best player, because that would also make him the most valuable. Others see it as described by most here, valuable i terms of helping a winning team.

In my own opinion, I don't think it should matter what team a guy plays for. If Kemp DID win the triple crown, he's MVP in my book. It's not his fault the Dodgers didn't have enough talent around him to win the division. I don't see how that makes him any lee "valuable."

So his stats should put him firmly in the mix. Braun will also be affected by feileder, because I've heard pundits (some of whom are also voters) say that Fielder is big reason why Braun has the numbers he does. (Although they always seem to ignore Braun is a big reason why Fielder has so many RBI.) So I think it will be very close, hopefully Braun gets the nod playing for a playoff team.

I understand how some can say the quality of your team shouldnt factor into the decision but it always does. It does with every MVP award. The Heisman, NBA, NFL, etc all look at your team accomplishments because to almost everyone putting up numbers on a team that is winning is more impressive than putting up numbers on a bad team. Right or wrong that is how it is. If MVP was simply a WAR-based decision lets just get rid of the voting and give it to the guy with with highest WAR. Kemp is very deserving but Braun is leading the stat that matters more to me than HR and RBI. He lead the entire league in OPS and did it on a contending team. If Kemp was far and away better than Braun I would say give it to him, but he wasnt.

I understand how some can say the quality of your team shouldnt factor into the decision but it always does. It does with every MVP award. The Heisman, NBA, NFL, etc all look at your team accomplishments because to almost everyone putting up numbers on a team that is winning is more impressive than putting up numbers on a bad team. Right or wrong that is how it is. If MVP was simply a WAR-based decision lets just get rid of the voting and give it to the guy with with highest WAR. Kemp is very deserving but Braun is leading the stat that matters more to me than HR and RBI. He lead the entire league in OPS and did it on a contending team. If Kemp was far and away better than Braun I would say give it to him, but he wasnt.
and likewise, offense shouldn't impact the votes for the Golden Glove Award, but it does.

Archived