Brewer Fanatic

Cecil Fielder: Prince could sign with Mets

DannoMac21

Cecil Fielder: Mets Could Have Chance At Signing Prince

The Mets are struggling financially and flirting with the idea of reducing their payroll before the trade deadline, but they may have a shot at signing this winter's biggest free agent.

Former Yankees star Cecil Fielder told The New York Daily News that he could see his son signing with the Mets.

"I don't think the Yankees are gonna get him," Fielder said. "But I think if everything goes well on the other side, the Mets are one of those teams that if they get that situation all squared away, they could get him."

Prince Fielder is represented by super agent Scott Boras.

The father and son have had their differences over the years, and the elder Fielder described their current relationship as "really mute."

Oh shutup Cecil.

Cecil is an idiot. He doesn't even talk to Prince. How the heck would he know where he might sign? It's just stupid of him to say something like that when it has no basis whatsoever. It's even dumber for the New York Daily News to report it. It means nothing.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

"Really mute" huh Cecil. In other words, he has no more insight than any of us. Sure the Mets could use him, but if they sign Prince, they won't be able to re-sign Reyes so how much better does that make them?

I love Prince, but if losing him to the Mets meant the Brewers got Reyes, I'd be very satisfied.

I'd be embarrassed if I was a writer, and the best source I could find was an idiotic gambling addict who's been irrelevant for over 10 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Reyes comes with as much if not more risk. As much as people make of Prince's size he isn't so much fat as just plain big. He has never been injured and plays every day. Perhaps Prince won't age well but age related issues are a few years away even if they do set in earlier than other players. Reyes has already had a couple significant injury years and plays a more demanding position. So the injury worry is pretty much the same if not worse for Reyes than Prince.

I could see the Mets going after him instead of Reyes and building around him. Don't know why Cecil's words should be taken seriously though. He has no more insight on this than those of us here.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

"I'd be embarrassed if I was a writer, and the best source I could find was an idiotic gambling addict who's been irrelevant for over 10 years."

...this made me laugh...a lot. Thanks X!

Cecil Fielder: "There may not be an NFL season in 2011."

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

lol, thats why prince dont talk 2 his father.

That's why Prince doesn't speak TO his father.

I fixed it for you. I'm far from being the forum police but "AOL speak" has been frowned upon here ever since I can remember. Just thought I'd let you know.

but they may have a shot at signing this winter's biggest free agent.

I'm really confused - did Albert Pujols sign an extension? Or are they talking about physically the biggest? I love me some Prince, and he's having the better year, but Pujols is still the best player in the game.

Either way, Cecil Fielder has about as much insight into what Prince is thinking about in regards to his future as my cat does.
Gruber Lawffices

I fixed it for you. I'm far from being the forum police but "AOL speak" has been frowned upon here ever since I can remember. Just thought I'd let you know.

LOL really? My goodness...that's not far from forum police at all. Substituting "speak" for "talk".

LOL really? My goodness...that's not far from forum police at all. Substituting "speak" for "talk".

Substituting "speak" for "talk" was an accident, as was substituting "doesn't" for "don't". I guess my fingers can't help but type things in the same manner in which I'd say them. I wasn't trying to correct his grammar, I was attempting to lightly point out that substituting "2" for "to" and things of that nature have generally been frowned upon by the bosses here (thank God).

My question to you is, did you really "laugh out loud?" If so, you must be very easily amused.

I'm with you Nottso.

Also, probably not major news, but the baseball insider down here on the local sports station (Seth Everett) is pretty convinced Prince is going to be a Cub. I hate to say it, but that makes a lot more sense than the Mets right now...but that still sucks. He's said it multiple times and thinks it is pretty much a slam dunk.

It seems like the Cubs fans as well as their local media-coverage guys always think they're getting whomever is the "hot" free agent to be at any given time. I sure hope they're wrong about this one.

Nothing wrong with a dad trying to generate some buzz for his son.

But most people have to understand that the Mets are hurting financially, and will likely not be players for someone who is going to get huge money.

Plus the legacy of Mo Vaughn isn't forgotten among the Mets' faithful.

I'm not sure why Nottso is getting any flak, he was on the mark with forum policy. If wasn't him it would have been someone else.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

JimH5]Nothing wrong with a dad trying to generate some buzz for his son.
In a normal situation I would agree. In this case I am skeptical about what's in it for Cecil.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Plus the legacy of Mo Vaughn isn't forgotten among the Mets' faithful.

Totally forgot about that. While I don't equate the two I can see how the Met faithful would. Same goes for the ownership.

Also, probably not major news, but the baseball insider down here on the local sports station (Seth Everett) is pretty convinced Prince is going to be a Cub. I hate to say it, but that makes a lot more sense than the Mets right now...but that still sucks. He's said it multiple times and thinks it is pretty much a slam dunk.

Any issues the Mets may have about Mo Vaughn Would be double with the Cubs. They need a 1st baseman and could build around him but their current problems are due to handing out expansive long term deals to players who are not worth their contracts half way through. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more interest in the media and fans than the ownership.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived