Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee's struggles: how much leash does he get?

Robideaux
I feel good for Casey today and despite the miserable body of work this year, I'm willing to see if he can go on a little pre All Star break hot streak. I still think they should take a look at Taylor Green at some point. Sooner rather than later if McGehee doesn't show more than the occasional pulse.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm now going to assume that he gets the starts throughout the Cincy series. If he fails to produce during that series though, I think a move needs to be made. Whether it's lateral in having Wilson/Counsell play more or if they bring up Green/play Gamel there. They just can't afford to have so many black holes in the lineup. Hart's had a bit of "power surge" I guess but he still hasn't looked all that good, especially not batting 3rd. He honestly bats the best in the 2 hole behind Braun. Makes you lose Morgan up there though, which is tough. Just brings us back to the age old "should Rickie Weeks bat somewhere else" argument. That's a whole other topic though.

A small market team cannot, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, we'll see how it turns out) just give up on a player like Casey McGehee. And Counsell/Wilson are absolutely horrible hitters and not anything close to a solution. If Casey continues to struggle, then by all means give Green or Gamel some starts but they have to continue to let McGehee try to figure it out.

The Brewers don't have the resources to upgrade 3B when they already have to upgrade SS and the bullpen, plus have a new 1B next season. Green is hitting well in AAA but that doesn't mean he will succeed at the MLB level. Its worth giving him a shot if Casey continues to struggle but Casey, unless he just completely continues to fail, needs to be a big part of the 2011 and likely the 2012 Brewers

I've always said though, that it'd be a great sign if Casey was the utility guy, as that would mean there'd be a better player at 3B. Casey as a backup 3B/2B/OF and right handed pinch hitter would be a valuable part of a team

If Casey continues to struggle, then by all means give Green or Gamel some starts but they have to continue to let McGehee try to figure it out.

How long would "continues to struggle" be? It's been over half a season.

I like Casey a lot and I have stated as such. If they continue to play him well then I hope he breaks out of it, but you have a guy who is raking in AAA. He can't be any worse than Casey is. You send Casey down and let him figure it out. Once he does you work him back in to the team.

We simply can't afford to have a guy play as poorly as he has in a season where we are going for it.

Yes they need SS and bullpen help, but the 3b problem can be solved in house and I can't figure out why they don't do it.

Casey's stats right now are truly brutal. And strangely enough he's hitting even worse vs lhp than rhp. A .355 OPS vs lhp this season in 80 some at bats (small sample but still...)

I think unless he rakes against the Reds this weekend they'll give Gamel and/or Green more starts

If Casey were sent down to AAA, and Gamel/Green did well at third, prompting Casey to spend the rest of the season at Nashville, how would that effect his arbitration status?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hardy had it coming. I'm all about treating players "well", but he did little the last 2+ years he was in Milwaukee other then be hurt and avoid accountability on his performance.

I agree Hardy did my only point is sending someone down doesn't automatically mean it helps them get back their swing. AS was pointed out by The Truth we need to get him back to form for this year and beyond. Green may be the answer down the road or he may not. I'm not so sure he is ready to contribute now at the level Casey has been the last two years. We need that type of production not just something marginally better than what Casey is at the moment. I'm all for what ever helps get that accomplished. I'm just not as sure sending him down does that.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Hardy had it coming. I'm all about treating players "well", but he did little the last 2+ years he was in Milwaukee other then be hurt and avoid accountability on his performance.
He was terrible in '09, but did alright in '07 and '08. I agree that going to the minors didn't help him.

He's actually been pretty clutch all season. His OPS with RISP and 2 out is .791, bases loaded it's .917, man on third w/less than 2 outs it's .753. I can't find it now bu twill look but I believe he's doing well late in close games as well. His problem is non clutch situations.
When I hear that someone is clutch, it only makes me think, if he's so good with RISP, what kind of lazy guy is he that he can't play hard all the time, even without men on base? I'm not saying that I think Casey is lazy, just that if he really is able to 'turn it on' in these clutch situations, why doesn't he turn it on all the time and get everyone off his back? And, if it's not something he's 'turning on' then it really is mostly or all random results, like many here say about clutch.

I've always said though, that it'd be a great sign if Casey was the utility guy, as that would mean there'd be a better player at 3B. Casey as a backup 3B/2B/OF and right handed pinch hitter would be a valuable part of a team

One problem with that. Casey can barely play 3B, and you want him playing 2B and OF? I can see it now. Braun in LF, Kotsay in CF, McGehee in RF.

When I hear that someone is clutch, it only makes me think, if he's so good with RISP, what kind of lazy guy is he that he can't play hard all the time, even without men on base?

I wasn't trying to make any statement about how he should be kept in the lineup due to his clutchness. I was merely responding to the notion that that one clutch HR would somehow mean he got to keep playing.

Well of course his terrible 09 is leagues better than what we can expect this year

Does everything in every post by you have to end up being a Yuni bash? We get it you hate him and want him gone yesterday but what does that have to do with Casey?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm not so sure he is ready to contribute now at the level Casey has been the last two years.

I am not sure McGehee will ever play at the level he did in 2009-2010. I don't think a .750 OPS would be much of a surprise going forward. Add in below average defense and I see no reason he shouldn't at the very least be platooned.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What's funny is Hardy's .660-ish OPS with good defense got him sent to AAA. Betencourt's .600-ish OPS with the worst defense I've ever seen from a shortstop is getting him every day starts, and the same for McGehee.

We are obviously either not watching the same guy (Betancourt), or you haven't seen too many shortstops. I can name two in the same division who are worse defensively just this year than Betancourt, one of whom is an All Star (Starlin Castro). The other is Ryan Theriot.

Hardy did not 'have it coming'. I'd be willing to bet that he did something to tick Macha off, and Melvin ended up realizing that he could mess with his service time. If Hardy had it coming, how can you say with a straight face that Counsell deserves to be in a major league uni? Because he can draw a walk? Seriously, the guy is hitting under .200, has 3 extra base hits in 119 plate appearances and an OPS of .496, yet people are bagging on McGehee, Yuni and even Kotsay. I at least have some hope that these guys will hit the ball hard, with Counsell, I'm just hoping that he walks. Why is he immune to criticism?

Well, he's not immune from my criticism. Now that Wilson is on the roster, Counsell is redundant. Not that Wilson will tear the cover off the ball, but I'll take him over Counsell.

But the reason McGehee and Yuni get so much criticism is that they're starters. Personally, I don't have nearly the problem with Yuni compared to most here. I've watched almost every game and Yuni doesn't look like a terrible defender. Sorry. I get that he plays a lazy SS, but he isn't booting balls left and right every game. And he's not a great hitter, but that's ok for the 8 spot. (Which is where he should be.) Compare his to the numbers to the worst starter for any other team, and I'll bet his numbers don't look bad at all.

McGehee on the other hand was counted on to hit 5th. So his lack of offense has really been a killer since there's runners on base for virtually every AB he has. And his defense makes Yuni look like Ozzie Smith.

Counsell is also a solid to plus defender at 2B, SS, and 3B. He's a nice piece to use as a defensive replacement for Yuni or McGehee. He's had a rough go of it at the plate, but I'm not going to call him out based on 114 plate appearances.

Unless McGehee goes on a Corey Hart type hot streak for the rest of the year, I think it's safe to assume he won't be handed the starting 3rd base job is 2012. It's quite possible they'll release him rather than run the risk of losing an arbitration ruling that will be heavily weighted toward his first two seasons.

Unless McGehee goes on a Corey Hart type hot streak for the rest of the year, I think it's safe to assume he won't be handed the starting 3rd base job is 2012. It's quite possible they'll release him rather than run the risk of losing an arbitration ruling that will be heavily weighted toward his first two seasons.
Casey would need to bat .333 in the 2nd half to finish with a .278 BA ... and he needs to bat .400 in the 2nd half to finish with a .310 BA !

Id take Hardy over what we have now (obviously), but he had SS locked down for the 'crew and screwed it up himself. I blame him (his performance, et al...not personel) for bring YB to Milwaukee.

Archived