Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee's struggles: how much leash does he get?

Robideaux
That makes sense. I wouldn't shift Gamel around because I think he'd benefit from reps at first; but I can understand why some would since his bat is so clearly better than our backups, McGehee, and its better than Green's too. I'm more puzzled about the lack of (vocal) mention of Green as a possible help at third, instead they shift him off the position.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Casey as a utility player, backup 2B/3B would have value on a playoff team. Casey starting on a playoff team is stretching it. The thing is, they have a bigger problem needing to upgrade SS and are likely hoping that Casey can return to the .800+ OPS guy he's been the last few years

Casey as a utility player, backup 2B/3B would have value on a playoff team. Casey starting on a playoff team is stretching it. The thing is, they have a bigger problem needing to upgrade SS and are likely hoping that Casey can return to the .800+ OPS guy he's been the last few years
Sure SS is a much bigger need. However, we have 3B options in the system. We would have to give up players to get a SS.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, I am absolutely flabbergasted by the lack of attention to Green. I am curious as to whether Roenicke is even aware of his existence.

He is OPS'ing .905 in Nashville. He's a lefty, he hits for pop, and he's got decent plate discipline. I am in the dark as to his defensive abilities, but they can't be worse than McGehee.

What's not to like? It's not like we need him to carry his .905 OPS from Nashville to Milwaukee to be a big upgrade from McGehee. .700 would be a comfortable upgrade.

I don't know if they know something about Green that we don't that is preventing his callup. I can't imagine what it would be.

Just a guess, but maybe Green OPS'ing only .687 in AA ball in 2009 hurt his perception among the Brewers front office. Maybe they stopped looking at him as a legit MLB prospect. He's only 24 now, and he's hitting over .300 with an OPS over .900 in AAA. You would think he'd be brought up at some point. Its too bad he can't play SS (it appears he's played 3B, 2B & 1B in the minors). Green looks like an upgrade over Kotsay as a LHB off the bench, too

Just a guess, but maybe Green OPS'ing only .687 in AA ball in 2009 hurt his perception among the Brewers front office. Maybe they stopped looking at him as a legit MLB prospect. He's only 24 now, and he's hitting over .300 with an OPS over .900 in AAA. You would think he'd be brought up at some point. Its too bad he can't play SS (it appears he's played 3B, 2B & 1B in the minors). Green looks like an upgrade over Kotsay as a LHB off the bench, too

That would be pretty stupid on the Brewers' part considering they of all teams should know how long it takes to recover from wrist injuries.

Yeah, I am absolutely flabbergasted by the lack of attention to Green. I am curious as to whether Roenicke is even aware of his existence.

He is OPS'ing .905 in Nashville. He's a lefty, he hits for pop, and he's got decent plate discipline. I am in the dark as to his defensive abilities, but they can't be worse than McGehee.

What's not to like? It's not like we need him to carry his .905 OPS from Nashville to Milwaukee to be a big upgrade from McGehee. .700 would be a comfortable upgrade.

I don't know if they know something about Green that we don't that is preventing his callup. I can't imagine what it would be.

Seeing as Green isn't on the 40-man roster, and wasn't in major league camp much, it's not surprising to me. Green is definitely looking good in AAA, but that won't necessarily translate to major league success. Maybe they just don't want to throw him right in the fire so to speak. Gamel has been here before, and they know he's capable of hitting major league pitching.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Verified Member

I have no confidence in Green in a PH/bench role, but I would like to see him spell Casey for a couple weeks as a regular just to see what happens. At the same time, it's not like I have confidence in Kotsay/Counsell/Wilson on the bench either, so he certainly wouldn't be a downgrade if relegated to that role.

The risk/reward at this point is so small on the risk and and actually significant on the reward end that it just has to happen at some point.

Seeing as Green isn't on the 40-man roster, and wasn't in major league camp much, it's not surprising to me. Green is definitely looking good in AAA, but that won't necessarily translate to major league success. Maybe they just don't want to throw him right in the fire so to speak. Gamel has been here before, and they know he's capable of hitting major league pitching.

I think we've got 36 guys on the 40 man roster, so getting him on the 40 man would be nothing more than a formality. And that's what we're saying about Green, the guy he would be replacing is horrible defensively and is OPS'ing .579. Green doesn't have to have his .905 translate to immediate major league success to be a respectable upgrade from what we currently have.

I understand the idea not to "throw him into the fire", but this is a "go for it" year, so I think if there's any year to take some chances, this is it. Rookies don't automatically struggle when thrown into the fire, some of them have some very good immediate success. That doesn't mean he will, but we certainly lose nothing right now by trying.

By the way, I'm not opposed to them sending down Casey and trying Gamel at 3rd, anything to upgrade at 3rd at this point. I'm just very surprised that they would again detour the path of Prince's 1B replacement by putting him back on 3rd when we already have a young 3rd baseman in AAA with plenty of experience in the minors who is having a very fine year.

I have a really hard time rooting for Kotsay because doing so is rooting for his continued existence on the 25 man roster. But I still do it.

Counsell, Wilson, Kotsay, etc. is just really an awful, awful bench, has to be one of the worst in baseball. That would be more tolerable if 2 of our starters weren't on the same level.

It just makes me mad because they have better players in AAA but they're going with the vets for whatever reason even when they're worse. Just really makes me mad.

yeah, he's obviously turning a corner http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

yuni did have a .284/.281/.409 line in June. A .690 OPS would put him in the upper half for SS in the league. Yes, that is probably the exception and not the rule (although it is in line with career #'s and last season in KC). And yes, he is a butcher defensively. But if he keeps hitting OK like he did in June, I don't think it's a huge problem to have him in the lineup, given the alternatives.

Verified Member
yeah, he's obviously turning a corner http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

yuni did have a .284/.281/.409 line in June. A .690 OPS would put him in the upper half for SS in the league. Yes, that is probably the exception and not the rule (although it is in line with career #'s and last season in KC). And yes, he is a butcher defensively. But if he keeps hitting OK like he did in June, I don't think it's a huge problem to have him in the lineup, given the alternatives.

When your BA is higher than your OBP, you know that you aren't a big fan of BBs (Is there actually a way to get a PA without an AB and not get on base? I am guessing you just got those flipped ninja?).

yea, he hasn't walked since may 28. my point still remains...if he can keep up a .690 OPS it's not a huge problem and there's really no room for improvement within the organization. I'd still be happy if they tried to make a trade, obviously.

If you're going to give him a few days off why not just option him down rather than going a man short?

So they're going to not play him for a few days, and then maybe give him 3 days (12 AB's) to see if it helped, which really is not nearly enough time to see if it helped? That seems stupid to me.

give him a few days off and then get him back in against Duke (a lefty) on the 5th. There's still 5 games after that before the all star game....let him play most of those and see if his approach has improved after he's cleared his head. If it hasn't, make a move over the break.

Archived