Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee's struggles: how much leash does he get?

Robideaux
Betancourt has been putting up a .766 OPS over the past 28 days. McGehee's OPS is .460 over that same period. There is no way McGehee should be the starting 3B right now. Betancourt is at least tolerable right now at the plate.
I will not be surprised at all if Betancourt's option is picked up for 2012.
I would hope that Melvin would negotiate a smaller contract than $6M (ignoring the $2M the Royals sent over for the buyout). Just on principle I don't want any part of a full-priced Yuni - I would

rather get minimum wage production and cost from some teams AAAA

shortstop. But, if Yuni went less and they agreed to it early, then at least Melvin can move shortstop down his list of offseason priorities.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My gut says that Yuni is capable of performing in the postseason since he seems to be unaware of his surroundings and generally aloof. McGehee's troubles seem to be both mental issues and an approach at the plate that can't withstand his loss of bat speed. Can't see the playoffs helping either of those things.

Serious question: How often has a MLB team had both the league leader and league laggard in batting average? McGehee now sits at .222, with Carlos Pena second to last at .227.

http://www.fangraphs.com/...nth=0&season1=2011&ind=0

(Sorting by wOBA, McGehee is last at .272, Yuni 2nd to last at .280)

Wow. I knew Casey was bad, but I had no idea he was that bad.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I also hate the "well, this is what got us here, so we won't tamper with it" logic. If Bolt qualifies for the Olympics with an ingrown toe nail, it does not mean he shouldn't have a doctor treat it before the event. I've been a big McGehee defender until about the All-Star break of this season, but he's simply been too terrible to justify playing time.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess McGehee's leash was only as long as the regular season.

Roenicke sticks with him for the entire season, and then when the playoffs start, he's banished (rightfully, IMHO) to pinch-hitting duties. Maybe next season we'll start an optimal lineup in the regular season, and not just wait till the playoffs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bring him back and see if he can regain his lost glory. Then trade him for as much as possible.

I saw far too many at bats that went like this .......................

Strike 1, looking

Strike 2, looking

Strike 3, swinging at garbage in the dirt.

Or this.

Weak ground out or pop out.

Followed by

McGehee chuckling or shaking his head, as if he's in total disbelief as to what's happened to him.

.................to believe he's going to regain his lost mojo.

Casey's toast. He was a fringe prospect who had a great rookie year, a decent sophomore year, and a terrible third year. He's not, nor ever was, a superior guy who'd be worth much in a trade.

One of two things happened to McGehee this year. One is he was his own worst enemy and kept putting more and more pressure on himself and what would have been a year that was a little off his first two became a terrible one. The second was that he really wasn't as good as his first two seasons indicated.

I think the consensus with the Brewer brass is the former and he'll be given another opportunity next year. But unlike this year, he will at least be challenged for his job in the spring. At worst he likely makes the team as a corner utility guy sort of comparable to the role Wes Helms had his entire career with the exception of 2003 when he was primary 3B for the Brewers.

If he's still struggling in whatever role two months into the season, he'll just be released. I don't think we should lose sleep worrying over it. If he returns to form of 2009, he'll be a contender for comeback player of the year. If he doesn't he'll be gone, and the 3B job will go to someone else, be it Green or a guy they bring in.

He's a genuinely good guy, and I'd like to seem him do well and put this year behind him. Whether he does or not we'll find out.

He is going to get non tendered; Melvin won't want to risk paying too much for a guy who had a horrible year. Espcially when he has so many other holes to fill. Hairston might have the job at this point and obviously Green is in the mix as well. No need to pay a couple million bucks to a guy who hit .220 for the year who is a below average fielder at best.

Casey is one year removed from leading the team in RBI (with Braun and Fielder hitting in front of him), and back-to-back .800+ OPS seasons. He bats from the opposite side as our in-house Fielder replacement (Gamel), and isn't exactly going to break the bank in arbitration (not sure if he hit 3 years service time, but would probably make super 2 if he didn't) coming off that season.

If he can be used in a trade to bring in a useable piece for next year, I could see him traded. Otherwise, he'll get a chance to redeem himself as the backup 1b/3b next year.

i read at mlbtraderumors.com they expect mcgehee to make about $3 million through arby (remember, it's not just this year they look at, but past years).

i wonder if it's worth to keep him around at that price. you think we'd be able to get someone better for $3 million. someone you could count on. just a thought.

i wonder if they non-tender and hope he resigns. maybe they can make an agreement beforehand. get him for cheaper if they promise him a fair shot at winning 3B job.

I thought he was pre-arby and would get under $1M. I'd file the release papers the day after the WS if there is any chance of him making $3M.

Nope, he's arby eligible: http://www.mlbtraderumors...s-milwaukee-brewers.html

The BF.net salary page says so too. http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewTeamSalary.do?teamId=1

Here's the list of arby eligible guys, including the MLBtraderumors.com estimates:

First time: Casey McGehee ($3.1MM), Nyjer Morgan ($1.9MM), George Kottaras ($700-800K), Mitch Stetter ($700-800K)

Second time: Kameron Loe ($2.8MM), Manny Parra ($960K), Josh Wilson ($700-800K)

Third time: Shaun Marcum ($6.8MM), Carlos Gomez ($1.8MM)

Loe I find a bit high - same with McGehee, but that's probably because I'm too close to this year's awful season.

I'd lose Wilson and Parra. I'll assume Stetter is coming back healthy. I'm not sure about McGehee. The rest have value to the team.

• 1 month later...

Another season, baby!

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135055798.html

Roenicke said Mat Gamel probably would get first shot at replacing Fielder at first base if he signs elsewhere. But Roenicke said McGehee could be an option at first as well if the Brewers find another third baseman. One way or the other, Roenicke said he expects McGehee to bounce back from his poor 2011 season and play somewhere in the lineup.

They certainly have to put someone on the roster who can play the position every day if it turns out McGehee struggles continue. You can't go into next year counting on him as the answer. There has to be a clear cut plan B before the season starts.

There's no way Casey should even be a starter on opening day. I don't see how losing JHJ, saying you're out on Prince, and giving Casey an everyday job improves this team. I really, really hope something else is going to happen. It would've made a lot more sense to non-tender Casey, sign JHJ, and have Green and JHJ split some time at 3B. That makes almost too much sense.

Archived