Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee's struggles: how much leash does he get?

Robideaux
I think the casey experiment is over come aug.

It needs to be over now. We are now 103 games into the season and Casey has an appalling OPS of .586. This isn't a bad stretch or a cold month, this is consistently weak hitting. .752 in April, .593 in May, .422 in June, and .597 so far in July. There is no reason to expect significant improvement at this point in the season. Hopefully, Doug can make something happen with a deal very soon.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Dm is trying to figure what is needed more an 3B or a SS.

It's sad to say that, even as much as Yuni has struggled, this isn't even that hard a decision. Casey has been that bad this season.

not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet, but this seems like the right place. Saw this on espn.com this morning talking about the amount of plate appearances contenders have given to terrible players. If we miss the playoffs by a game or two, this is going to be a major reason why and it should probably cost Melvin/Roenicke their jobs. Inexcusable.

2. When you have so much parity like this, it only takes one or two players having bad seasons to derail a potential playoff bid. Which teams have given the most playing time to bad players? Looking at the primary playoff contenders, here is how many plate appearances each team has given to hitters with an OPS+ (on-base + slugging percentage, adjusted for home park, scaled to where 100 is a league average hitter) of 75 or less, entering Sunday's action. (From Baseball-Reference.com.)

National League

1. Brewers, 1250

2. Braves, 823

3. Giants, 809

4. Pirates, 660

5. Phillies, 534

6. Reds, 461

7. Diamondbacks, 456

8. Cardinals, 231

The Brewers are the team that should be kicking itself the most if it misses the playoffs, high in star power but a brutal bottom of the roster. Yuniesky Betancourt's line was predictable, but Casey McGehee has been even worse. Both have held their jobs. What is inexcusable is giving more than 300 plate appearances to vets Craig Counsell and Mark Kotsay.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I really don't understand how McGehee is still playing everyday. I love the guy but he doesn't belong in the major leagues this year and he has had ample time to turn it around. It's starting to make me mad to see Casey get worthless dribble up the middle singles now since those apparently mean he's "turnin it around" to Doug and Ron and by him even more time.

It's a somewhat misleading article. Betancourt and Kotsay are right at 75 on that scale. Over the last month, both are well trending upward. If they each went 2 for their next 4, that would move the Brewers down to 4th on that list. Nieves, Gamel and Almonte's AB's are included in that total as well.

There's no argument for keeping Counsell around. If you watch McGehee, it does appear he's a little more comfortable up there, but it hasn't shown in numbers yet.

I was shocked to see that McGehee has played in over 100 games this year, good for 3rd on the team. Given his struggles, you'd think he'd get more than a couple of days off here and there to clear his head. Although I suppose his 'break' lasted for about a game and a half earlier this month.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Betancourt and Kotsay are right at 75 on that scale. Over the last month, both are well trending upward.

yeah; but betancourt hasn't broken 90 since 2007 and sat in the 60's for two seasons before hitting 88 last year. Point is, he stinks, has stunk, and will stink barring extreme luck or miracle and we keep on going back to that well. Luckily he makes up for it with his glove. People have been saying McGehee is more comfortable for over a month but it hasn't helped him in the results department; he'd probably be even more comfortable on the bench. Almonte and Nieves aren't here anymore; but they were Melvin/Roenicke's choice for too long.

Overall, choosing to give 400 more PA's to terrible hitters than your nearest competitor in a year you are "going for it" is inexcusable. ESPECIALLY when there is are two feasible replacements for McGehee raking in the minors.

Almonte and Nieves aren't here anymore; but they were Melvin/Roenicke's choice for too long.

Let's not exaggerate about Almonte. He only started six games in April as part of a RF platoon while Hart was injured.

There's no way Doug is going to make a move now because of the two mini-streaks they're on. But that's neither here nor there. I just don't think there's anything significantly better to be had. Green only looks like a slight upgrade defensively and I'd bet dollars to donuts he hits even worse. And with the total crap available at ss other than Ramirez and Reyes, neither who are going anywhere, we'll just have to live with Yuni.

1) McGehee is only on a streak when compared to his June. A 588 OPS for July doesn't show a rebound especially with an ISO of .067

2)Green would hit better. Why expect him not to?

3) The crap at SS is still better than Yuni

I cringed when Rock was talking about how McGehee was heating up. he had like 3 or 4 singles on the road trip. that's not hot! when was his last XBH? June?

July 6th he homered. July 4th he had a double. Prior to that, you have to go back to a June 19th double. Watch out for the white-hot McGehee!

His OPS Since 7/6 is .614. Since 6/19 it's .520

http://i.imgur.com/Jxlh3.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I cringed when Rock was talking about how McGehee was heating up. he had like 3 or 4 singles on the road trip. that's not hot! when was his last XBH? June?
Hey that's unfair! He has 1 2B and 1 HR in July! He hit a HR on July 6th (his 1st since May 20th) and had a 2B on July 4th!

Endaround: I agree with 1 and 3. But even manure has a price and other teams who need a shortstop have more players to trade than Dougie. Why would I want anything the Brewers had to offer? Okay give me Peralta or Gamel and another player and I'll give you Barmes. Green gonna hit? I don't think so. He's not a power hitter; he's had half a season a AAA. And his progress through the minors was anything but smooth. I think it'll take Green a least half a season not to be embarrassed by major league pitchers, but by then nothing will have changed. If you want to call him up do so. And I agree he could even go all Hurricane Hazel on the National League, but I doubt it. By all means call him up; just don't expect anything.

Green gonna hit? I don't think so. He's not a power hitter; he's had half a season a AAA. And his progress through the minors was anything but smooth.

His progress was impeded by a wrist injury, & he appears to be fully recovered at this point. So you don't think he's going to hit based on what? Probably not his .541 SLG, since he's 'not a power hitter'.

I think it'll take Green a least half a season not to be embarrassed by major league pitchers

Unlike Casey, of course. Green will instantly provide more offense & more defense than McGehee. Casey has been nothing short of a disaster this season.

We've been over this territory over an over again. Nobody is expecting Green to to tear up the NL. It's all about risk/reward. It would be very difficult for Green to put up a worse OPS than McGehee. Even if he did, the floor is so low that the difference would hardly be noticeable. On the flip side, there is a very realistic chance Green could OPS over .700 maybe even over .750. That would be an improvement. And if he doesn't, you haven't lost anything.

Some people quickly forget Green was on a path to be a top prspect, and then suffered an injury. He's had a great season so far in Nashville, its more than just a "hot streak." But here's the bottom line, in my opinion. If you want to go "all in" you have to take a couple chances. Substituting Greem for McGehee could be basically a wash, or they could hit it big. At this point, it's worth taking the chance.

If something doesn't happen today, I'll be extremely dissapointed. It's been so frustrating to see McGehee being given this long of a leash.

Tbadder, Green's progress through the minors was going extremely smooth until he suffered a bunch of injuries. How are you so sure that he wouldn't be an upgrade over McGehee at the plate? If you look at their career minor league numbers, Green makes Mcgehee's look silly.

Of course, the Cards have Jon Jay, who'd posted a .885 OPS at the time of his callup (2010) was a 25-yo non-prospect who was obviously only going to hit .150. Except that his career MLB OPS right now is .792. It's almost like there are good players stuck in AAA that just need the opportunity to play.

Archived