Brewer Fanatic

Cocktails - What you like, what you hate, who knows how to serve them

InsomniacInkRoss

Very open discussion of cocktails, I want to know what you like, where you can get a good one, and so forth.

I have really studied and made "classic" and "proper" cocktails over the last year or so and came to realize how much of a real difference quality and fresh ingredients make (Fresh Lime vs. Rose's for example and bottled Old Fashioned mix should be outlawed.)

If you haven't been to Bryant's Cocktail Lounge I strongly recommend that (they do things right) and come down to the Great Lakes Distillery tasting room, where we also do things right. I have heard good things about Hotel Foster and The Hamilton but have not been.

Best cocktail of all time is the Tom Collins, but I regularly enjoy a Rye Manhattan (Served Up, light on vermouth, heavy on bitters) or a Sazerac (Rye, Absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, and Simple Syrup)

A properly made Old Fashioned cannot be made anywhere but my own kitchen http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I have, however, gotten too lazy lately and have been drinking a steady diet of Jameson and Diet Sprite...over ice. Mmm...I may just go get one right now...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

my dad informed me tonight that Brandy is pretty much only purchased by people of Wisconsin and California.

I never knew that.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Ya Def a WI thing.

My favorite cocktail of all time is a Bloody Mary. It must be made with clamato for me to really like it. If I have clamato, celary salt, and Tabbasco (of course vodka) I will be pleased. However if you add such things as olives pickles meat sticks, seasonings etc, you have yourself something special. V&M Bar (corner of hwy V & M of course) near Birchwood, WI serves up the best spread I've ever seen. Pickle, Olives, Pickled - green bean+asparagus+ mushroom, beef stick, celary, (I might be missing one or two more things) a hard boiled egg on the side and a huge beer chaser. Best part is I saw two guys come in and get four of them "to go." Amazing.

A good dirty Martini with Bleu Cheese stuffed olives is pretty amazing as well.

The Old Fashioned and Manhattan are probably the most wide open in terms of how you make it, especially in this state.

My Old Fashioned:

1/4 Clementine

2 Maraschino Cherries

Spoonful of Brown Sugar

3 good dashes of Angostura bitters

Muddle all of the above until the sugar is dissolved

Add 2 oz of Bourbon (pouring it over the bottom of the muddle)

Add Ice and top with a splash of sprite or club soda

Rob -- Bloody Marys are 1000% better with gin instead of vodka, not one person I have told about this has ever gone back to vodka.

I haven't done the gin bloody, but my bloodies are a big hit in the parking lot and at ultimate tournaments. My secret is about a half shot or a shot of guiness in each one.

My current favorite drink is a whiskey sour with rye whiskey.

1 egg white, 1.5 oz rye whiskey, 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice, 1 oz simple syrup.

Shake well dry, then shake well over ice, and you'll get a frothy foamy delicious beverage.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Gin.....man, I've heard of that but I just don't know if I can do it! I mean I drink one bloody a few times a week and just love them. Meal in a cup. And in the last few years have started to enjoy Gin and tonic or soda. Love Hendrick's Gin with a few slices of cucumber and Soda in the summer. Anyway, to get back on track, I'm worried I'll try it and dislike it and have to throw away a perfectly good bloody! Haha. I'll keep you posted if I try.

Do you go cheap gin like you would go cheaper vodka in a bloody?

Has anyone tried three olives tomato vodka for a bloody? I think it would be awesome but don't really have any earge to buy a high end vodka for a bloody mary.

My summer cockatil drinking is about 90% Gin and Tonic and 10% Cuba Libre.

For GnT's I also prefer Hendricks garnished with cucumber; more Gin than Tonic.

For Cuba Libre's, I use an aged rum ( I can't taste the rum if I make them with a light rum) and make sure to use the juice of a whole lime. You need a lot of lime to cut across the carmel-sweetness of the aged rum and coca cola.

The worst part about not living in WI anymore is that I can't get a proper bloody anywhere. And people look at you like you are crazy if you want a side car.

My favorite drink right now is Belvedere and water. Simple, yes, but very good and it seems almost impossible to get a hangover.

Going to put in a personal plug for the Hi Hat on MKE's east side.

My bro is the bar manager and has redone the drink menu a while back and it is freakin' awesome. Lots of focus on classic cocktails and new twists using old school techniques.

Go on a Mon, Thur or Fri and ask for Dan. I think those are his nights that he works these days. Try and go in when its not as busy (earlier) and sit at the bar.

Other than that I love me an Old Fashioned first and foremost followed by a Brandy Manhattan or a Sidecar on the rocks. Completely agree that a focus on fresh juices and handcrafted drinks makes a huge difference. I am such a cocktail snob after working at a bar. My own personal and theavrock signature cocktails are as follows.

The Sex

Pour over ice

2 shots Finlandia Grapefruit Vodka

1 shot Pom liqueur

Press (top with seltzer and sprite)

Perfect for Summer. This was my go to for a long time.

Bloody Cow

2 shots 3 olives chocolate vodka

1 shot Godiva chocolate liqueur

1 shot Chambord

a few squeezes of chocolate syrup

stir together and pour over ice. Top with Milk (preferably whole) and shake then pour back over ice.

Basically an adult chocolate milk that will sneak up on you if you're not careful.

Not nearly as awesome as my bro's creations as i wasn't trained in the art of the craft cocktail, but I love 'em.

For GnT's I also prefer Hendricks garnished with cucumber; more Gin than Tonic.

Beefeater for me when I'm feeling fancy (otherwise rail http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif). But yes to more gin than tonic.

Great thread idea, by the way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've been trying to find a go-to cocktail and have been coming up empty. We've been going to some nicer restaurants and bars and I want to order something "nice" but haven't hit on anything yet. I don't like olives, so martinis are out. I tried Whiskey Old Fashioned Sour and it was ok. I like Whiskey and Bourbon and Rum. I don't mind Vodka in a mix, but don't really like when its the strongest flavor. Gin is gross.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good bar drink everyone makes that I can adopt as my go-to?

I like proper margaritas. I found 40 key limes in the discount cart at Harris Teeter for $1, so these past couple nights I've squeezed 3-4 of them and mixed with 1.5 parts tequila and .5 parts gran gala (Italian knockoff Gran Marnier). I use cheapish (but still all agave) tequila, and it works just fine for my needs.

I'm also a big fan of the Mint Julep. Muddle mint with a teaspoon of sugar, pour over 2 oz. bourbon, strain over ice.

Last but not least, I must give some love to the White Russian and Mr. Lebowski.

Gin Bloody - I have only used Rehorst gin which has a strong sweet basil flavor, but I think a cheap gin would work great. I just wouldn't use a Hendricks for that.

I have different gins for every mix:

Chilled or with one ice cube: Rehorst

With a little Tonic: Sapphire

With muddled Cucumber: Hendricks (of course)

I also strongly suggest floating a little absinthe on top of your Gin and Tonics

A whiskey/bourbon Manhattan on the rocks is a pretty solid go to, everywhere should be able to make it with out too much trouble (even though i don't think ice or anything but Rye belongs in it)

I've never gone wrong with whiskey & seven. If I'm out at a nice place, I always go with Crown Royale but at home it's usually Windsor. Just over half whiskey and like San Diego, it always goes down smooth.

i feel like i read somewhere that 90% of the brandy consumed in the US is purchased in Wisconsin and Minnesota. i'd ask for it on snowy days in North Carolina and nobody ever carried it.

Wife and I are Korbel and Coke drinkers (Korbel vs. "cheaper" brandy is worth it to us mainly because of the next day "hangover effect" of the cheaper brands).

On our Honeymoon in FL almost 18 years ago we went to a liquor store and they only had pints of Brandy. They were behind the counter and were very dusty. Yeah, not a whole lot of brandy drinking going on outside of WI.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived