Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers hit Bankrupt

Dragonbait

Community Moderator

Some of the more interesting implications are reported in this article.

If McCourt does not go down quietly, it is possible that the bankruptcy judge could auction the team off to the highest bidder (possibly Mark Cuban) without Bud Selig's approval. The case is very complicated and will probably take the better part of a year if not more to resolve. In the meantime, Dodgers fans are stuck in a horrible limbo.

Some of the more interesting implications are reported in this article.

If McCourt does not go down quietly, it is possible that the bankruptcy judge could auction the team off to the highest bidder (possibly Mark Cuban) without Bud Selig's approval. The case is very complicated and will probably take the better part of a year if not more to resolve. In the meantime, Dodgers fans are stuck in a horrible limbo.

It's kind of ironic that Selig will be fighting this, because this is precisely the loophole that was used as the only way to get baseball back in Milwaukee back in 1970.

It's kind of ironic that Selig will be fighting this, because this is precisely the loophole that was used as the only way to get baseball back in Milwaukee back in 1970.
Different situations though. The Pilots were basically an untenable joke in Seattle with their ownership and stadium situation. The Dodgers are fine in terms of their basic operations and stadium. They just need an owner that isn't trying to milk the team to pay off his divorce.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K]
RockCoCougars wrote:

Different situations though. The Pilots were basically an untenable joke in Seattle with their ownership and stadium situation. The Dodgers are fine in terms of their basic operations and stadium. They just need an owner that isn't trying to milk the team to pay off his divorce.
Right and I'm not complaining by any means. I read an interesting book or story on this once. It's amazing to think in this day and age that MLB awarded a franchise to Seattle. They had a shoestring ownership, no solid stadium deal and were playing in a very old minor league park. I remember reading that workers were nailing down new bleacher seating the morning of opening day. I think the original ownership group had a deal after the '69 season to local interests that fell through. It seems that the baseball owners were still extremely po'd at Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin about the anti-trust suit filed against the NL when the Braves moved, because outside of San Diego, I don't think any of the cities expanded into for '69 had a better situation than Milwaukee.

Archived