Brewer Fanatic

DiFelice optioned to AAA; Latest-- Mitre DFA'd, James outrighted off 40-man roster; Braddock and Mat The Batt recalled; 40-man at 36

Saito was on 60 day, so they'll need a spot for his return. I would suspect they want several spots for guys who'll come up in September or earlier that aren't currently on the 40 man, like T. Green and perhaps Rivera, or any of Boggs, Gindl or Almonte or another pitcher like say Meadows.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me see if I have this straight. We kept Kotsay. We traded a guy who is better than Kotsay for Mitre. We then send Mitre down. Now all we need is Gamel sitting the bench instead of Kotsay.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I really don't think you can especially since he isn't even playing 3rd anymore in the minors.

That being said, could he be a whole lot worse on defense than McGehee has? I remember him having above average range but an awfully inaccurate arm. McGehee has terrible range and and a somewhat accurate arm.

Part of me does think that if Gamel finds a way to hit well in this 6 game stretch that Melvin will find a way to keep him up here with somewhat regular AB's. And when you think about it; the only way that would ever happen is at 3B. I don't know that they would keep him up just to be that power bat off the bench; Mat riding the pine hasn't worked well in the past

No, we are likely going to lose Mitre for either roster filler or nothing in order to keep Kotsay and pay him his roster bonus.
My bad. We traded a guy better than Kotsay for a guy we are likely to lose through waivers or trade for a bag of balls. Sadly the bag of balls has more value than Kotsay.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Really? Did he not play 3b for the previous 6 years in the minors? In the unlikely event that the Brewers resign prince, he probably gets shifted right back over to 3b to start there next season anyhow.

Bottom line is he has a lot of experience at 3b and our current 3b is being outproduced by Betancourt - who everyone wants to replace - I know some people want to give McGehee more time, but it sure is starting to look like last season and the half season before that are the outliers of his career and not numbers we should expect.

So if Gamel rakes, .400 with a few bombs for example and looks polished at the plate, do you keep him up (even though it's a small sample) and play him at 3b? Or do you send him back down and have him continue to work on his D at 1B and leave him there for next season?

Really? Did he not play 3b for the previous 6 years in the minors? In the unlikely event that the Brewers resign prince, he probably gets shifted right back over to 3b to start there next season anyhow.

Bottom line is he has a lot of experience at 3b and our current 3b is being outproduced by Betancourt - who everyone wants to replace - I know some people want to give McGehee more time, but it sure is starting to look like last season and the half season before that are the outliers of his career and not numbers we should expect.

So if Gamel rakes, .400 with a few bombs for example and looks polished at the plate, do you keep him up (even though it's a small sample) and play him at 3b? Or do you send him back down and have him continue to work on his D at 1B and leave him there for next season?

There is a reason Gamel is playing 1B now. There is little to no way they move him back over to 3B no matter how well he hits. I just hope he is DH at least 5 out of the next 6 games or it is a waste of a call up IMO. I personally wouldn't mind having him at 3B instead of Casey, but I don't see the Brewer's making that move.

Agree with your comments above in bold. Just look at Casey's minor league history; there are no signs that what he did the last year and a half was going to continue. Yes, I am a Casey hater. Always thought he was overachieving and wished we would have traded him when his value was high.

Ask And That about Gamel's defense...

Green is the 3B that should be brought up.

I'd be all for Green at this point - but what are the plans for Gamel if Prince does reup?
If McGehee keeps struggling it wouldn't surprise me if Gamel is moved back to 3B if Prince stays. Either that, or they will trade him for pitching because Greinke or Marcum, or both, will be gone if Prince is kept.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think this has to be Braddock. Plus he's from N.J. so his family may be able to watch him play in person.

Does this mean he'll be able to sleep in his own bed?

Having the right pillow is very important for one's health.

Incredible back to back posts!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One reason for the holes in the 40 man roster would be if we were about to sign a couple more people. First round college pitchers like major league deals, and we just drafted two of them. Are we going that route?
That's a very plausible explanation, though I honestly hope not, it's one of the reasons they rushed Weeks and Jungmann has plenty to work on from what I've seen so I'd rather not see another prospect pushed. I know squat about Bradley other than this scouting reports and feature articles in the draft forum.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

http://brewersbeat.mlblog...raded-back-to-the-yanks/

So, to recap, we rented Mitre for 30 innings and gave Chris Dickerson to the Yankees (forcing us to employ Mark Kotsay) in return for a couple hundred thousand dollars.

To quote Bill Simmons, I will now light myself on fire.

I'd certainly rather have Dickerson on the roster than Kotsay, but i'd rather see Boggs on our bench than either of Dickerson/Kotsay. Dickerson put up only a .724 OPS in a 135 AAA at bats this year. Boggs not only has a .911 OPS in Nashville, he would offer the ability to switch hit off the bench and offer some extra base hit ability, something very lacking on the bench.

Archived