Brewer Fanatic

anyone golfed at whistling straits? (the straits course)

Menotti80
I will be golfing there this Thursday, and I am required to take a caddy. Has anyone ever had a caddy there? Are they teenage boys who just carry your clubs, or are they older guys who actually try to help you/tell you what to do?

I have a friend that works there and I've golfed there using his pass so we couldn't take a caddy. From what I've heard him say about the caddies it's a mixed bag. There are old guys who know a lot about the game and younger (probably not teenager) guys who know a little less. They all have a pretty good knowledge of the course though I believe.

Having a caddy is really about them finding your ball and giving you yardages. They also carry your clubs. They will help with how putts will break as well, if you ask.

I doubt very much they will be handing you clubs because the caddy is not going to know how far you hit your 7 iron, 5 iron, etc.

Enjoy the experience and tip well.

I'm not really a golpher, but my sister's husband worked as a caddy at the Straits for a few summers or so. I know he took the job pretty serious, and made it seem as if the caddies were expected to know the course very well and be able to off up advice.

They're basically professional caddies. I've heard they're so good that they know the course and can tell you were to hit everything...it's a matter of executing. I've had a number of caddies in Montana that have worked at the Straits in past years, and they're outstanding

Ditto what DHonks said. I have golfed there 3 or 4 times and for the most part the caddies are very helpful. Many times they are caddies from the south who caddy up here in the Summer and down south in the Winter.

An example of how helpful they can be. Usually for a 4-some, a caddy will carry bags for 2 golfers. I do remember one time when I was golfing there I was on the left side of the fairway and the other guy that my caddy was carrying bags for was far off the right side of the fairway. The caddy came over to my ball first. Based on the yardage, it seemed like a perfect full pitching wedge for me, but my caddy said no, you are going to at least want a 9-iron. I took both clubs (wedge and 9) and he went over to the assist the other golfer. I hit the wedge, hit it cleanly, and was about 20 yards short of the green. When he came over to me again, he said with a smirk on his face.."You didn't take my advice, did you."

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They carry two sets of clubs for 18 holes? Yowzer.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived