Brewer Fanatic

Brewers get no respect

T B0NE 10

On ESPN.com poll it asks "Will Brewers still be in first place when Sheets gets back from the DL?" It is 42% yes 58% no

Wisconsin has a 85%/15% yes....all the states say no besides Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Idaho, Colorado, and Rhode Island

well, right now the Cubs are playing amazing and while the Crew has won 4 of 5 they aren't exaclty pounding teams and scoring tons of runs. I'm not going to say they won't be in first by the time he comes off the DL because even with the Cubs playing amazing, the Brewers are still hanging on.

True, we haven't been winning by a whole lot of runs but that is due to our offense, not our pitching. Sheets being gone would affect the pitching, would it not? Pitching, lately, has been great. So unless YoGa can't do what he has already been doing, it won't affect us too much.

I'm absolutely outraged.

Between Sheets going down, Hall going down, our bats going cold, and the Cubs turning it up to 11, it's a pretty reasonable train of thought.

Ultimately I care much more about the standings than how much respect the Brewers are getting in Texas or Connecticut or Oregon. Or Chicago or Milwaukee for that matter.

how do you define respect, anyway?

the fact that people actually cared enough to respond to a question about the Brewers is a big step to begin with.

they'll all get to know us well enough when we're whooping up on everyone in mid-October.

Screw respect! Milwaukee will never get it. Cue: "Small market team" line.

The Cubs are playing out of their mind--and they're still behind. The Brewers are stinking the joint up--and they're still ahead. The Brewers just played 2 series against reasonably good squads while the Cubs played the punching bags of the MLB.

The Brewers will get respect when WS rings are being slipped on to their fingers. Not before. I want them to lose the lead. I want everyone to proclaim them dead so when the Cubs cool down they charge back up and take a 7 game lead.

JC! HS! Where's the Tylenol!?

The fact that the Brewers have still held on to 1st place during a prolonged stretch that the Cubs are playing .750 ball has got to be a plus. It's just a matter of time before the Cubs come back down to earth. There's no way they can keep this up much longer.

Especially with Suppan and and Capuano coming off good starts.

If only they had worked out the extension with Davis... could you imagine how much better the rotation would be with Davis instead of Vargas? Dave Bush as the #5 starter?

I'd say the Brewers are being 42% respected. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I can see why outsiders would think the Cubs would overtake us. They've been playing great and the Brewers just lost their ace. Most team that lose their top pitcher would struggle to fill the void. We know better because we know whose replacing Sheets in the lineup and how little YoGa's departure from the pen will effect it's overall depth.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm just annoyed how when the Brewers do well, it's because they're beating weak teams (overlooking Detroit, Minn, etc.), while the Cubs do well against weak teams and become "The Hottest Team in Baseball."

I am anticipating people throwing things at me when I say this, I voted No in the poll. There are just too many question marks right now. I am so pessimistic about the Brewers' offense right now because they can't hit their way out of a paper bag as a collective team that I am starting to lose faith.

I think when many fans try to make sports predictions, they rely much to heavily on the recent happenings, while ignoring the still very relevent performances of the recent past. That, coupled with the Sheets injury is plenty enough to explain that poll.

If the Brewers win the division with a decent record, they'll get that respect. Me, I'd rather no body respect the Brewers, including other teams. It would make a post season run that much sweeter.

The Brewers will get respect when WS rings are being slipped on to their fingers. Not before.

Agreed 100% -- We have had a great season so far, but probably a little early to be worried about respect from fans from other teams.

If only they had worked out the extension with Davis... could you imagine how much better the rotation would be with Davis instead of Vargas?

If we would have worked out an extension with Davis -- we probably wouldn't have gotten Suppan, and certainly wouldn't have gotten Estrada. I'd rather have Vargas than Davis, especially if you factor in contractual obligations. Davis makes over 2x what Vargas has, and IMO has had a worse year (1.71 WHIP? geez)

The fact that the Brewers have still held on to 1st place during a prolonged stretch that the Cubs are playing .750 ball has got to be a plus. It's just a matter of time before the Cubs come back down to earth. There's no way they can keep this up much longer.

Well we have held on to first place -- but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact we have lost a lot of ground to the Cubs. While they can't win 3/4ths of their games the rest of the way -- they were clearly a team that was losing way more than they should have been early on in the year -- I think that this recent tear they have been on is probably "evening out" their early struggles.

The Brewers are in for a dogfight

I am so pessimistic about the Brewers' offense right now because they can't hit their way out of a paper bag as a collective team that I am starting to lose faith.

Cubs Brewers

Avg. .270 .264

Runs 435 451

Hits 881 845

RBI 412 433

OBP .329 .330

SLG .413 .454

Right now the Brewers have scored more runs than the Cubs and hit with more power and get one base slightly more. I have more faith in the Brewers offense than I do the Cubs.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Quote:
If only they had worked out the extension with Davis... could you imagine how much better the rotation would be with Davis instead of Vargas?

Isn't the Brewers record 13-3 in Vargas starts? I'm guessing with Davis instead of Vargas in the rotation, the Brewers would be in 2nd place right now.

let's see..

-the Cubs have evaporated a 10 game lead down to 3.5 in a short period of time

-the Brewers have been playing mediocre lately

-to top off the weak play, the Brewers lose their ace for a month and their CF indefinitely

-the Cubs are healthy and sizzling hot right now

I don't think the Cubs will overtake us, but it could be close by the time he gets off the DL.

Archived