Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen management - last 10 games

NYChez
View 1. We're so good, we don't need to use any of our 4 best relievers late in close games.
View 2. If we're not ahead late in the game, we give up.

Details:
June 13, game 1 at Wrigley - Loe comes into a tie game in the 9th inning - the 3rd day in a row he would pitch, and he gives up the winning run. 50/50 game turns into a loss.
June 14, game 2 at Wrigley - Estrada starts the 8th inning with the Brewers up 3-0 and immediately gives up the lead - Braddock and Hawkins come into the game and do great, but too little, too late. 90% chance of winning turns into a loss.
June 16, game 4 at Wrigley - Herrera (the guy who replaced Braddock) comes into a 6-5 game in the 6th, and it's 9-5 after one batter. 40% chance of winning turns into a loss.
June 17, game 1 at Fenway - Herrera comes into a 5-4 game in the 6th, and it's 7-4 after four batters. 30% chance of winning turns into a loss.
June 20, game 1 vs. Rays - Narveson walks the leadoff batter in the 7th (a red flag all season) and is left in until it's 3-0. 30% chance of winning turns into a loss.
June 22, game 3 vs. Rays - Dillard enters a 3-2 game in the 7th, and it's 6-2 after three batters. 30% chance of winning turns into a loss.

It's widely known that Axford, Loe, Hawkins, and Braddock are the Brewers' best, healthy relievers. Braddock was sent to the minors during a stretch when the Brewers absolutely needed as much late-inning relief help as possible. Braddock and Hawkins are two guys who could have been put into any of the situations mentioned above and given the Brewers a better chance of winning those games.

Instead, it felt like the management gave up on those games. Game 2 at Wrigley and at least one of the other games absolutely has to be won. The reason we're 3-7 instead of 5-5 in this key stretch is that, for some reason, one of our top 4 relievers can't be used in key spots late in very winnable games.

I agree with a lot of this.

I normally don't feel that managers affect their teams that much, but I think RRR is doing his best to make me rethink that. I feel like his bullpen management has been absolutely awful and lacking of any explanation and has contributed to a few losses this season already.

It's widely known that Axford, Loe, Hawkins, and Braddock are the Brewers' best, healthy relievers

Axford and maybe Loe are the only good RP on the team. Dillard has been good so far but not sure I buy it. Hawkins might be close to average at best, he's just had a lot of luck, Braddock has been pretty terrible on the year.

It's widely known that Axford, Loe, Hawkins, and Braddock are the Brewers' best, healthy relievers

Axford and maybe Loe are the only good RP on the team. Dillard has been good so far but not sure I buy it. Hawkins might be close to average at best, he's just had a lot of luck, Braddock has been pretty terrible on the year.

Braddock looked fine once he came back from his first DL stint. Not sure I'd say Dillards been good either. His K/BB ratio looks good but it seems he gets hit awfully hard on the reg. Agreed Hawkins isn't anything special.

It would be a godsend if Saito can return and pitch to his career norms during the second half. Even if that happens we need to go out and get another stud reliever though.

Archived