Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Wed. 6/22 -- Youngest Maryvale arms impressive

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Daniel Meadows and RHP Frankie De La Cruz in a doubleheader at home vs. Omaha (Royals), 5:20 PM pre-game, 5:35 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Live Audio Link

iPad/iPhone: Listen

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: RHP Kyle Heckathorn at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 6:05 PM gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Dunedin feed from the MiLB main audio page

Wisconsin: Idle

Helena: LHP Mike Strong at Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at the Athletics complex in Phoenix; games begin at 7:00 local time in the desert; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Indians, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PCL American North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Omaha 39 33 .542 - - 21-15 18-18 5-5 W1
Memphis 38 33 .535 0.5 73 23-16 15-17 8-2 W2
Nashville 31 40 .437 7.5 66 19-16 12-24 4-6 L2
Iowa 31 41 .431 8.0 65 14-18 17-23 3-7 L2

FSL North
* Daytona 46 23 .667 - - 25-11 21-12 4-6 L4
Clearwater 39 30 .565 7.0 E 20-14 19-16 2-8 L4
Dunedin 38 31 .551 8.0 E 17-18 21-13 6-4 W1
Tampa 37 32 .536 9.0 E 16-17 21-15 7-3 W5
Lakeland 36 33 .522 10.0 E 20-16 16-17 5-5 W2
Brevard County 27 42 .391 19.0 E 14-21 13-21 6-4 L1

PIO North
Helena 2 0 1.000 - - 2-0 0-0 2-0 W2
Billings 1 1 .500 1.0 36 1-1 0-0 1-1 W1
Great Falls 1 1 .500 1.0 36 0-0 1-1 1-1 L1
Missoula 0 2 .000 2.0 35 0-0 0-2 0-2 L2

AZL Central
AZL Dodgers 1 0 1.000 - - 0-0 1-0 1-0 W1
AZL Indians 1 1 .500 0.5 55 1-0 0-1 1-1 L1
AZL Reds 1 1 .500 0.5 55 1-0 0-1 1-1 W1
AZL Brewers 0 1 .000 1.0 55 0-1 0-0 0-1 L1

DSL S.D. North
DSL Mariners 14 5 .737 - - 8-3 6-2 10-0 W10
DSL Brewers 14 6 .700 0.5 53 6-3 8-3 5-5 W1
DSL Athletics 7 13 .350 7.5 46 3-4 4-9 3-7 L2
DSL Cardinals 5 15 .250 9.5 44 4-8 1-7 3-7 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We've mentioned Dunedin closer and former Brewer farmhand Wes Etheridge (season and career stats) several times this season in the Link Report, so it seems a proper place this evening to post his interesting tale --

Etheridge saving games and souls

By Bob Elliott, QMI Agency (Canada)

ATLANTA - Wes Etheridge gets calls and calls.

It’s Dunedin manager Clayton McCullough on the bullpen phone asking him to get ready for another save situation.

Etheridge had a previous calling.

After pitching two years in the Milwaukee Brewers system, Etheridge quit to become a pastor.

He enrolled at Liberty University on-line from his home in Huntington Beach, Calif., in August of 2008 and when he found he missed the classroom experience (“there wasn’t anyone to ask questions”) switched to Calvary Bible College, near his home, in January of 2009.

“I was running my youth group, but it was not going where I wanted, so I began praying real hard,” Etheridge said Wednesday from Dunedin.

Then, he received a phone call from out of the blue from his friend, Dan Millwee.

“We had a long conversation and then Dan said, ‘I was washing my car and God told me he doesn’t need you any more,’” Etheridge recalled.

Etheridge spoke to his mom Wendy, who used to say she wanted to write a book entitled Baseball Ruined My Life.

The missed dinners. The travel. The time away from family.

“I told mom about Dan’s call, asked her what she thought and she said, ‘I’ve been praying you would go back to baseball,’” Etheridge said.

What would make momma change her mind? “You know I was so shocked by her answer I never ever asked.”

So, he called the Milwaukee Brewers, who had him on their restricted list, went to spring training in 2010 and was cut on the last day.

Steve Springer, now a Jays scout, sent him to pitch for ex-Cleveland Indians teammate Cory Snyder, managing Maui in the independent Golden League.

“I told him he’s 84-88 m.p.h., don’t put a gun on him, let him pitch,” Springer said from Anaheim. “Cory phones back and says ‘he’s only 84-88.’ I told him to forget readings, let him pitch. Everyone gets caught up in velocity.

“I phoned later to ask about him and Cory says ‘Oh, he could pitch at double-A right now.’”

Etheridge went 10-0 with a 1.76 ERA in 15 starts, walking 18 and striking out 86.

“I wanted to sign him a year ago as a starter,” said Springer, who talked Jays assistant GM Tony La Cava into signing Etheridge.

Now he’s a perfect 24-for-24 closing games for Dunedin.

Etheridge, 26, still reads the Bible every day.

When you lose both your parents within six months and you’re a teenager ... well I’ve never been much of a Bible guy. However, I always took the whatever-gets-you-through-the-night approach.

Etheridge’s favorite verse is from Ecclesiastes 9:10: “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.”

You could say Etheridge has been pitching with all his might: a 1.04 ERA in 34 2/3 innings, walking five and striking out 30. Springer points out Etheridge pitched 12 scoreless innings this spring.

“Hate to say it, but I looked more like a pastor when I was in Bible college, I’d catch myself even thinking something,” Etheridge said.

Springer had Kirk Saarloos in his former life, a five-year span as a player agent. “He won 20 games in three years with Oakland and didn’t throw any harder. Wes will pitch in the big leagues some day.”

It’s a scout’s job to judge with an impartial eye and we’re sure Springer has that even though both played for the Marina High Vikings, decades apart, in Irvine, Calif.

“He pitched the championship game at Anaheim Stadium, he won a championship with Cypress College (Chargers) and went 12-4 for the University of California-Irvine (Anteaters),” Springer said. “His record before he was drafted was roughly 40-7. He’s a winner. He knows how to get a ground ball out.

“He didn’t like the lifestyle the first time around.”

Right now it’s Florida State League hitters who aren’t liking ninth innings with Etheridge on the mound.

Final: DSL Brewers 5, @DSL Indians 4

The Cerveceritos scored two runs each in the 8th and 9th to take a 5-2 lead and then hung on as the Nativos Americanitos almost tied the game in the bottom of the 9th. 17-year-old righty Gian Rizzo continues to pitch pretty well, giving up two runs with a 4/1 K/BB in five innings, though he did allow eight hits. After three shutout innings from Juan Francisco, Carlos Sosa picked up the save but made things interesting. 16-year-old OF Elvis Rubio, who hadn't played since the 13th, returned to the lineup--briefly. He was hit by two pitches and lifted for a pinch hitter in the 8th. The pinch hitter was 18-year-old OF Jose Pena, who went 0-1 with a sac fly. Your other 16-year-old of interest, SS Orlando Arcia, did not start but knocked a pinch-hit double in the 8th; he's now slugging .475, the highest mark on the team. 18-year-old OF Raul Mondesi, whom the Brewers like, had two hits, including his second homer. 18-year-old C Carlos Pena, who's been exceptionally quiet this year, had a nice game, 2-3 with a double and a walk. Yonki Hernandez and Deivi Mejia, too old to be prospects, nevertheless had nice games, each with two hits.

DSL Brewers Top of the 8th
  • Deivi Mejia singles on a fly ball to left fielder Felix Lora.
  • Dionis Hinojosa out on a sacrifice bunt, catcher Juan De La Cruz to second baseman Juan Herrera. Deivi Mejia to 2nd.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Jose Pena replaces Elvis Rubio.
  • With Jose Pena batting, passed ball by Juan De La Cruz, Deivi Mejia to 3rd.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner Raphachel Colatosti replaces Deivi Mejia.
  • Jose Pena out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Felix Lora. Raphachel Colatosti scores.
  • Carlos Pena doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Felix Lora. Carlos Pena advances to 3rd, on missed catch error by third baseman Amauri Castillo.
  • Pitcher Change: Frangy Colon replaces Edward Estrella.
  • Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Orlando Arcia replaces Joan Abreu.
  • Orlando Arcia doubles (3) on a line drive to left fielder Felix Lora. Carlos Pena scores.
  • Francisco Castillo pops out to third baseman Amauri Castillo in foul territory.

DSL Brewers Top of the 9th
  • Pitcher Change: Juan Nivar replaces Frangy Colon.
  • Yonki Hernandez walks.
  • With Alejandro Mendoza batting, Yonki Hernandez steals (8) 2nd base.
  • Alejandro Mendoza flies out to center fielder Joel Mejia.
  • Raul Mondesi homers (2) on a fly ball to center field. Yonki Hernandez scores.
  • Raphachel Colatosti grounds out, shortstop Joel Caraballo to first baseman Fermin Galvez.
  • Dionis Hinojosa walks.
  • With Jose Pena batting, Dionis Hinojosa steals (9) 2nd base.
  • Jose Pena strikes out swinging.

The Indians' near-rally in the bottom of the 9th isn't yet posted.

Final (game one): Omaha 4, @Nashville 1 (7 innings)

Nashville Sounds

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds lost the opener of Wednesday's doubleheader at Greer Stadium, falling 4-1 to the division-leading Omaha Storm Chasers.
Daniel Meadows made his first start since the 2009 season when he took the bump for the Sounds. The left-hander allowed one run on five hits over 3 2/3 innings, throwing a season-high 59 pitches in a no-decision.

After Meadows worked into and out of a bases-loaded jam in the first inning, striking out Lance Zawadzki to escape the jam, the Sounds squandered a bases-loaded opportunity of their own in the second when Zelous Wheeler bounced into an inning-ending double play with the bags full.

Omaha took a 1-0 lead in the third when Johnny Giovatella singled with one out, moved to third on a Clint Robinson single to right, and scored on a Kila Ka'aihue sacrifice fly.

The Sounds rallied to tie the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the third when Brandon Boggs led off with a single against Omaha starter Luis Mendoza and later scored on Wil Nieves' RBI infield single off the outstretched glove of Zawadzki, the Storm Chasers' third baseman.

The Storm Chasers pulled back in front in the fifth by plating three runs against Mike McClendon (1-1), who took the loss.

Robinson (3-for-4) singled with one out and was joined on the basepaths by Ka'aihue, who walked, before scoring the go-ahead run when Cain ripped a double down the left field line. Zawadzki (2-for-3) followed with an RBI single before Cain scored the third run of the inning on a Cody Clark groundout to make it a 4-1 game.

The Sounds again squandered a one-out, bases-loaded scoring opportunity in the sixth. After Nashville filled the bags against Mendoza, Omaha reliever Jesse Chavez came on to pop up Boggs and Edwin Maysonet in succession to escape the jam unscathed.

Mendoza (5-3) picked up the win for Omaha after allowing one run and scattering 10 hits over 5 1/3 frames of action. Chavez recorded the final five outs to nail down his eighth save of the year.

Well, Jesse Chavez may have gotten them today, but he'll have to rack up a few hundred more saves against the Sounds for Brewers fans to remember him any way other than fondly. On the other hand, Danny Herrera could toss perfect innings of relief with two strikeouts, as he did tonight, from now until eternity and I doubt I'd forget the carnage he wrought at Fenway on Friday. Nice job by Meadows gutting it out (or getting lucky) to allow just one run in a spot start. He threw 59 pitches and found the zone with 43 of them, a very healthy percentage. Taylor Green and Caleb Gindl each had two hits.; Gindl had gone five games without a hit. However, Wil Nieves was also credited with two hits, so take the box score with a grain of salt since it's obviously wrong. Mat Gamel chipped in with a hit and a walk, and Jordan Brown and Wheeler also each had a hit.

Final: Dunedin 6, @Brevard County 3

So far the home team has lost all four games in the system today. Kyle Heckathorn made his first full start since the 1st and wasn't especially good: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 8/5 GO/FO, though he did only allow about a baserunner an inning. Still waiting for Heckathorn to bust out and dominate. He's still giving up a surprising amount of homers given how many grounders he gets. Hunter Morris and Khris Davis were your offensive stars, each 2-4. Scooter Gennett and Kentrail Davis each had a hit. All singles tonight for the Sea Cows. No D'Vontrey Richardson or Shawn Zarraga. The last thing Richardson needs, given how raw he is at his fairly advanced age, is to have a season lost to injury. Rolando Pascual walked two and hit another in 1.1 innings of work--sounds about right.
On one of the plays highlighted below, Khris Davis robbed a homer, preventing Heckathorn's rate from climbing even higher.:

Dunedin Top of the 2nd
  • Sean Ochinko flies out to left fielder Khristopher Davis.
  • Brian Van Kirk singles on a line drive to left fielder Khristopher Davis.
  • A. J. Jimenez strikes out swinging.
  • Kevin Ahrens grounds into a force out, third baseman Shea Vucinich to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Brian Van Kirk out at 2nd.

Dunedin Top of the 4th
  • Brian Van Kirk called out on strikes.
  • A. J. Jimenez flies out to right fielder Kentrail Davis.
  • Kevin Ahrens singles on a ground ball to left fielder Khristopher Davis.
  • Chris Hopkins flies out to left fielder Khristopher Davis.

Manatees drop first half finale
Frank Longobardo/Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. -- The Brevard County Manatees fell 6-3 to the Dunedin Blue Jays on Wednesday night in the final game of the first half.

'Tees hitters struck out nine times, left seven men on base and did not record a single extra-base hit.

Manatees starter Kyle Heckathorn dropped to 4-6 on the season as he allowed three runs on five hits, while walking one and striking out four in 5 2/3 innings of work.

Brevard County had a chance to jump out to an early lead in the first, thanks to back-to-back two-out singles by Hunter Morris and Khris Davis and then a walk by Brock Kjeldgaard to load the bases. But Shea Vucinich struck out looking to end the inning and leave the bases loaded.

In the third, Dunedin was able to capitalize with a two-out RBI as Ryan Schimpf singled home two runs, to give the Blue Jays a 2-0 lead.

The Manatees got one run back in the fourth as Vucinich reached on a one-out single, stole second and then went to third on a throwing error by catcher A.J. Jimenez. Scott Krieger grounded out to second to drive in Vucinich to cut it to a 2-1 game.

Brevard County knocked out Dunedin starter and All-Star Deck McGuire in the fifth, when Scooter Gennett singled of McGuire's leg with one out. Gennett then got to second on an error on a pick-off attempt and then reached third on a ground out by Khris Davis, but was left stranded.

Dunedin made it 3-1 in the sixth when Brian Van Kirk hit a two-out solo homer off of Heckathorn. Heckathorn would be relieved by Rolando Pascual who finished out the sixth, but would give up a run on a wild pitch in the seventh, to make it 4-1 in favor of Dunedin.

The Blue Jays padded their lead to 6-1 in the eighth, with a two-run homer by Kevin Ahrens off of new reliever Mark Willinsky.

Brevard County led the eighth off with back-to-back singles by Kentrail Davis and Morris. Khris Davis's RBI single brought home Kentrail Davis and then a Kjeldgaard ground out scored Morris as the 'Tees cut the lead to 6-3. The rally would end there as Vucinich struck out and Krieger flew out to end the eighth and the Manatees would go 1-2-3 in the ninth.

Both Khris Davis and Morris had two hits each and the top four in the 'Tees batting order had six of the team's nine hits.

Brevard County closes the first half of the 2011 season with a 27-43 record. The Manatees will open the second half at home on Thursday as they begin a three-game series with the Lakeland Flying Tigers.

All-Star Nick Bucci (4-5, 4.23) will take the hill for the Manatees, while the Flying Tigers will counter with Trevor Feeney (5-6, 4.36).

Thursday's game can be seen live in the Central Florida area on Bright House Sports Network.

Final (game two): @Nashville 5, Omaha 4 (7 innings)

Nashville Sounds

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds split a doubleheader with the division-rival Omaha Storm Chasers on Wednesday night at Greer Stadium. Nashville dropped the first game, 4-1, and won the nightcap, 5-4.

The doubleheader split was Nashville's (32-41) fourth of the season, which moved to 4-4 in twinbill play. The win was just Nashville's second of the season against the first place Storm Chasers.

The one-run victory was Nashville's 13th of the season, which has played a PCL-high 34 one-run games this season.

The Sounds jumped on the board and put two runs up in the bottom of the first in the nightcap. Leadoff hitter Eric Farris singled to start the rally, moved to second on a wild pitch, advanced to third on a Brett Carroll single, and scored as Erick Almonte hammed a base hit to center. Mat Gamel then knocked the second run with a base hit to right field.

Nashville moved it to 4-0 in the next frame. Taylor Green crushed his 11th homer over the wall in right field to lead off the inning. Zelous Wheeler scored the second runoff the inning on a wild pitch, who previously reached on a double.

Omaha scored two unearned runs in the top of the fifth to trail 4-2. Paulo Orlando doubled off the wall in center to leadoff and scored on a fielding error by Almonte. Later in the frame with two outs, Johnny Giavotella singled home Falu for the club's second run.

The Storm Chasers came within one run at 4-3 in the top of the sixth. Kila Ka'aihue hit a leadoff double to left field, advanced to third on a deep flyout, and scored on a Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly.

Gamel put the Sounds back up by two runs at 5-3 when the slugger hammered a solo shot off former Brewers prospect Jeremy Jeffress. Gamel's 15th homer also produced his 50th RBI, both team highs.

Omaha scored a late run in the top of the seventh to pull within one run at 5-4, but Sean Green closed the door and picked up his fourth save.

Frankie De La Cruz continued his dominance from the mound. Following seven scoreless innings in his last start in Memphis, De La Cruz moved his scoreless innings streak to a team-best 11 straight frames before allowing two unearned runs in the top of the fifth. The 27-year-old earned his team-leading eighth quality start while surrendering four runs (two earned) on seven hits with two strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.

In his first rehab appearance for the Royals, Omaha starter Sean O'Sullivan (0-1) allowed four runs on six hits in 2 1/3 innings.

I continue to like de la Cruz and wonder what he'd do with a spot in the Brewers' bullpen. Green is hitting .309/.377/.551, and Gamel's line is .318/.380/.556. Kinda good. Caleb Gindl was 0-3 to snap his one-game hit streak.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Brewers 6, @Arizona Athletics 2

Arizona Box Score

2010 7th round Canadian RHP Joel Pierce, 18 years old, made his formal professional debut with four solid innings in the 109 degree heat -- 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR. Behind Pierce was RHP Mike Schaub, the young man out of an Anaheim public high school, drafted in the 38th round last year. Schaub fanned 21 batters in 24 mostly effective innings in Maryvale in 2010, but really impressed here -- 5 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 11 K. Schaub is the rare late-round high school pitcher draftee to forego (or at least delay) college -- many in his shoes would have gone the junior college route at minimum. He just turned 19, you wish he was from some suburban area with a hometown newspaper following that would have featured him for us curious fans by now.

2011 34th round catcher Adam Weisenburger (Miami of Ohio) debuted with a 3-for-4 evening (double, RBI, SB, threw out only opposing baserunner); your other debut was by RF Matt Franco, this year's Mr. Not-So-Irrelevant 50th round pick, an 18-year-old Ft. Lauderdale high schooler. Franco was 0-for-4 here, 2 K's. It must be a day for mentioning high school signees, as 2010's 22nd rounder, Kevin Berard, settling in at second base it seems, hit his first professional home run, a two-run shot, as part of a 2-for-5 day. Former DSL OF Ruben Ozuna, in LF tonight and again hitting leadoff, was 2-for-5 with a double, two stolen bases, and one error.

Arizona Play-by-Play

The Maryvale three-run 4th, and then a 5th inning which showed promise but didn't materialize --

AZL Brewers Top of the 4th

• Ruben Ozuna reaches on fielding error by third baseman Jonatan Santana.
  • Kevin Berard singles on a line drive to right fielder Kelvin Rojas. Ruben Ozuna to 2nd.
  • Brandon Macias flies out to center fielder Dayton Alexander.
  • Hitaniel Arias singles on a ground ball to right fielder Kelvin Rojas. Ruben Ozuna scores. Kevin Berard scores. Hitaniel Arias to 3rd. Fielding error by right fielder Kelvin Rojas.
  • Pitcher Change: Jose Azor replaces Maxwell Perlman.
  • Adam Weisenburger singles on a fly ball to right fielder Kelvin Rojas. Hitaniel Arias scores.
  • Jose R. Garcia singles on a ground ball to left fielder Rhett Stafford. Adam Weisenburger to 2nd.
  • Matthew Franco grounds out, third baseman Jonatan Santana to first baseman Joshua Leyland. Adam Weisenburger to 3rd. Jose R. Garcia to 2nd.
  • Andres Martinez called out on strikes.

AZL Brewers Top of the 5th

• Malcolm Dowell hit by pitch.
  • With Ruben Ozuna batting, Malcolm Dowell steals (1) 2nd base.
  • Ruben Ozuna singles on a ground ball to second baseman Franklin Contreras. Malcolm Dowell to 3rd.
  • With Kevin Berard batting, Ruben Ozuna steals (1) 2nd base.
  • Kevin Berard pops out to shortstop Jensi Peralta.
  • Brandon Macias hit by pitch.
  • Hitaniel Arias grounds into double play, shortstop Jensi Peralta to second baseman Franklin Contreras to first baseman Joshua Leyland. Brandon Macias out at 2nd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: @Missoula 5, Helena 4

On the defensive: Osprey shut down Brewers in home opener

By Nick Lockridge of the Missoulian

Jaw-dropping defense and a touch of controversy were the dominant themes in the Missoula Osprey's home opener on Wednesday.

Shortstop Josh Parr made flashy play after flashy play and an opportunistic Fidel Pena was just as keen behind the plate - as well as away from it - as the Birds downed Helena 5-4 for their first Pioneer League victory of the season in front of 3,024 fans at Ogren-Allegiance Park.

Offense was the only thing in short supply for Missoula (1-2), which tallied just six hits to the Brewers' 11, but after losing a pair of one-run games in Helena earlier this week, the Osprey were just glad to be on the winning side.

"Our fans have been expecting us to do that," said Fidel, who plays both catcher and middle infield. "That was great to give that to them."

Fans seemed particularly impressed by Parr, who assisted on the last out of the game and then did a back flip. Parr also made two nifty plays in the hole to his right, including one in the eighth that was immediately followed by an incredible play from Pena.

Helena's Doug Elliot hit a slow roller to O's third baseman Ryan Court, who bare-handed it and uncorked a wild throw to first. Pena, hustling all the way down the line from his catcher position, grabbed the loose ball and threw off balance to get Elliot at second base.

"As soon as the ball got over him, I went after it," said Pena, who was 1 for 3 with a bases-loaded RBI walk in the fourth. "If I didn't release it fast, he was going to be safe."

That ended the eighth and completed a reversal of fortunes for the Osprey.

Missoula seemed snake-bitten early on thanks to a couple of questionable calls.

Home plate ump Rene Hilbach-Barger called interference twice - once on himself - to slow down the home team, as well as the pace of the game.

Osprey fans got especially upset after the unusual ump interference call in the second inning. With runners on first and second base and one out, Missoula starter Jesse Darrah struck out Helena's Yadiel Rivera for the second out. Both base runners were stealing on the play, but got hung up because it was a foul tip caught by Pena. Each runner wound up standing on second base, where they were tagged by Court for an apparent double play. However, the ump ruled that he interfered with the catcher prior to Pena throwing it down to Court, thus everything that happened after the strikeout was ruled dead and the runners returned to their bases.

"He did the right thing," Missoula manager Hector De La Cruz said. "It's tough when you have situations like that, but they have all those baseball rules they have to apply."

De La Cruz came out of the dugout, but didn't argue the call for long. Pena also agreed with the ump.

"He was in my way," he said. "I wasn't in his way."

The O's did record a strike-'em-out-throw-'em-out double play later in the game.

Missoula's Jeremia Gomez went 1 for 4 with two runs batted in, including the game-winner on a double in the sixth inning. Gomez also had a sacrifice fly as part of a four-run rally in the fourth inning that knotted the game at 4-4.

The O's Conrad Flynn pitched four scoreless innings to get the win. He allowed just two hits, struck out four and didn't walk any Brewer batters.

Joey Paciorek was 2 for 3 with an RBI and Kyle Dhanani hit a solo home run in the second to help Helena build a 2-0 lead.

Joey Paciorek of the Helena Brewers is out at second as Missoula Osprey second baseman Matt Jensen throws to first for a double play in the third inning of the Osprey’s home opener at Ogren-Allegiance Park on Wednesday. Photo by TOM BAUER/Missoulian

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/53/053c4308-9d4e-11e0-b60f-001cc4c002e0/4e02bb84339c6.image.jpg

Here's the Missoula site game story which included the following --

Jeremia Gomez then added a sacrifice fly, as he was robbed of a hit thanks to a diving catch by Helena right fielder Max Walla, to tie the game at 4-all.

Missoula managed just five hits on the night, but also took advantage of three Helena errors and seven walks issued by Brewers pitching.

The Osprey and Brewers will wrap up their two-game set in Missoula on Thursday. Left-hander Taylor Siemens will get the start for the Osprey, while Helena will counter with right-hander Andy Moye.

Helena Box Score

SS Yadiel Rivera fanned four times in an 0-for-5 back-to-earth night; catcher Joey Paciorek continued to shine -- single, double, walk, threw out both baserunners attempting to steal; UConn 35th round catcher Doug Elliott (2-for-4 as the DH, double) made his pro debut; 10th round Oklahoma State LHP Mike Strong walked two in three scoreless, hitless innings in his start; LHP Tom Keeling impressed late in the game in his first outing after his Wisconsin stint, but reliever Seth Harvey couldn't bail out Fond du Lac's and UW-Milwaukee's 38th round Chad Pierce from having a disappointing debut of his own, allowing all three inherited Pierce runners to score in the Missoula four-run inning detailed below...

Helena Play-by-Play

Missoula Bottom of the 4th

• Pitcher Change: Chad Pierce replaces Michael Strong.
  • Justin Bianco triples (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Max Walla.
  • Ryan Court singles on a line drive to center fielder Robert Garvey. Justin Bianco scores.
  • Jonathan Griffin walks. Ryan Court to 2nd.
  • Eric Groff strikes out swinging.
  • Tyler Linton walks. Ryan Court to 3rd. Jonathan Griffin to 2nd.
  • Pitcher Change: Seth Harvey replaces Chad Pierce.
  • Matthew Jensen walks. Ryan Court scores. Jonathan Griffin to 3rd. Tyler Linton to 2nd.
  • Fidel Pena walks. Jonathan Griffin scores. Tyler Linton to 3rd. Matthew Jensen to 2nd.
  • Jeremia Gomez out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Max Walla. Tyler Linton scores.
  • Josh Parr strikes out swinging.

Archived