Brewer Fanatic

Doug Russell let go from 1250 WSSP

Invader3K

I was very disappointed to see this. I was gonna post it myself, but I really didn't want it to turn into an argument about whether or not Doug was good at his job. I am a fan of his, and loved his show. Listened to it every morning during the summer for the last 4 years. I think he was the best out of everyone at WSSP. Not a fan of The Big Show really, so Doug and Mike was my favorite show. Sad to see him go. He is a great guy, and a big time Wisconsin sports fan. One of the only guys from Milwaukee on that station. Really hate the move, but I definitely wish him the best. Hope he lands somewhere else in Milwaukee. You might wanna change the thread title. He didn't leave, he was basically fired or let go, however you wanna put it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

PEM, I changed the thread title per your suggestion.

I've never been a huge WSSP listener (more of a 540 ESPN guy). I agree that Doug was probably the best on the station...at least the most polished and professional sounding. I'm wondering if this was a simple cost cutting move. Hard to say for sure. I'm sure we'll hear more eventually.

I do think he'll land somewhere sooner than later, maybe in the area yet.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

People are speculating that it was a cost-cutting move, which sucks. People are also suspecting the move was made to make room for Bill Michaels to join the station, which would also suck. If they were gonna dump someone for Michaels, it should've been Gary Ellerson. All he knows is the Packers, which is basically the same for Michaels.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Has to be a cost-cutting move, otherwise it makes no sense. Outside of the occasional Brewers postgame, Doug and Mike was the only show I listened to on 1250. They had a good chemistry, got good guests, and were a nice alternative to Bristol.

I like Chuck and Mike just fine, but I can't see that being a long-term combination for them. I wonder if 540 is looking at this as an opportunity to get into the local morning show fray.

I wonder if 540 is looking at this as an opportunity to get into the local morning show fray.
I don't know if they can. I think they are obligated by ESPN to carry a certain amount of "prime time" network programming. It's too bad, because I really don't care for "Mike & Mike" or Colin Cowherd at all.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Only reason I listen to 1250 was Doug Russell in the morning and the post game show with Tim Allen and Sparky. Now that they made a dumb decision and let Doug go I will only be tuning in for the post game show.

Hope to see Doug land on his feet doing something else here in Milwaukee on radio or even TV. To me Doug was professional and really knew the local sports, especially the Brewers and Packers.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Russell has some comments in Bob Wolfley's latest blog entry on the JSOnline.

"I was blown away," Russell said Wednesday during a phone interview. "On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most surprised, I was probably about a 16. Shocked. Just flabbergasted."

On Tuesday, after he had completed "The Doug and Mike Show" with his partner, Mike Wickett, WSSP program director Tom Parker told Russell he was out of a job.

When asked by a reporter why Russell was dismissed, Parker said the station wanted "to take the show in a different direction."

i was disappointed too, the problem with wickett is that he did not grow up here. you can learn about the sports history of the team, but unless you experienced it like we all did, all can you be fully knowledgeable. Thats why i like tim allen, doug russel, and sparky. They have been through it with us instead of sitting in ann arbor and learned about it over the last 3 years.

also they can say what they want, this is a cost cutting move. they don't pay for people at 1250. they tried to bring in a big hire like peter brown when the station first started and let him go for money. I am going to guess that guys like Cliff Saunders was let go for the same reason. Its too bad, because in Milwaukee the only way to be successful is longevity. Most 10pm TV anchors have been here for years. Most of the top morning FM dj's have been here for years. Most top writers have been here for years. In addition most grew up here.

Doug lived Wisconsin sports like us the fans. That is why I enjoy listening to him. He knows his stuff and is passionate about the teams like we are.

I would like him to catch on with 540. Maybe take over their Brewers post game show, that would be sweet. Have him right up against TA and Sparky. In addition to Doug doing the Brewers post game show maybe they could have him do various other things at the station.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived