Brewer Fanatic

What Movies to watch?

adamb100

I really enjoyed Easy A. Hot Tub Time Machine is also streaming. For those who regularly stream movies on Netflix, make sure you visit instantwatcher.com . That site lists all of the movies currently streaming and breaks them down by category.

action, thriller, drama, or comedy? I see that you're not a fan of limiting your choices. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif How about a little more help. Do you like newer stuff or older stuff? Domestic or foreign? Have you seen most of the classics and blockbusters or are you just getting into movies? What are some other movies you've liked? Or actors? Directors?

• 1 year later...
Has anyone seen Skyfall around here? Wife and I were thinking of hitting it up tonight, thought it would be a good one to catch in the theatre.

Beautiful is the best word I can think to describe it. 100% worth seeing in the theater.

I'll be seeing Lincoln tonight after I managed to talk the girlfriend out of Les Mis but not into Django.

Tucker and Dale Versus Evil. and i think Tommy Boy just showed up on Netflix Streaming if you want some mindlessness. of if you want a tv show, you can't beat Top Gear, especially their specials.

If you're looking for a movie with an interesting storyline I'd suggest "Smoke" from the 90s. I like how they weave all the stories together. It can be a little slow and times but the ending is great, at least I thought so.

Anyone see the Hobbit in 3D? I am going to see it tomorrow evening and debating which version to see. I am intrigued by the HFR but was wondering how much is in 3D and if the 3D is done well. I thought the 3D in Avatar was done very well, but plenty of movies just have annoying 3D effects. Any opinions on this film's attempt? Don't worry about spoilers for me, I've read the book plenty of times.

Anyone see the Hobbit in 3D? I am going to see it tomorrow evening and debating which version to see. I am intrigued by the HFR but was wondering how much is in 3D and if the 3D is done well. I thought the 3D in Avatar was done very well, but plenty of movies just have annoying 3D effects. Any opinions on this film's attempt? Don't worry about spoilers for me, I've read the book plenty of times.

I saw it in 3D, and wouldn't recommend it that way. A disclaimer would be that I'm not a big fan of 3D in general; I don't out-&-out hate it, but I don't look forward to it in general. For The Hobbit, I felt the 3D was more a distraction than enhancement. Sounds like we agree on 3D pretty well -- I enjoyed it in Avatar as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the theater again, but just not in 3D.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There's going to be 4-5 blockbuster movies coming out this year, so there will be plenty of movies to see in the theater, Man of Steel and Star Trek just to name a couple.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Tucker and Dale Versus Evil.

Even if it weren't funny, this movie would make a great excuse to ogle Katrina Bowden; would not have seen it but for Netflix Instant.

Liked Skyfall, but it walks a tightrope in being overly meta for a Bond film (and this is coming from a "Community" fan).

Also enjoyed the Hobbit, but I don't know that 3D adds to much of anything (other than the ticket price). Having seen it a few weeks ago, I can't point back to a great 3D effect.

A movie I liked was "Stardust" with Claire Danes, Robert DeNero, and Michelle Pfifer (sp). I doubt its streaming but its a really fun fantasy movie. You'll never look at DeNero the same way again.

Really enjoyed "Les Miserablés" Anne Hathaway's performance is amazing.

You knew me as Myday2001.

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd take the Random Thoughts mention back over here.

Just finished watching The Holiday ("Christmas" romcom, wife made me watch it). The only good thing about this movie is that I'm pretty sure Jack Black took the part as a joke and acted it as corny and cliche as possible. Bravo to him.

It wasn't a good movie by any stretch, but I didn't mind it. But I'm one for stupider movies with a happy ending. RomComs can be such garbage and The Holiday was at least vaguely watchable for a guy.

I would probably say that "Here Comes the Boom" probably fits my own tastes well. But I saw a bunch over Christmas:

Dumb and Dumber To: Same basic plot as the first and they just re-told the same exact jokes without really even adding in new ones. Absolutely terrible zero-effort film. Not even worth a cheap rental. I doubt I even cracked a smile through the whole film.

This is Where I Leave You: The disfunction in the family really isn't that interesting or entertaining and nothing really gets solved at the end. You'll wish you watched a different movie.

Zookeeper: Ok, I was hard-up for a comedy I hadn't seen. Within 20 minutes I had the audio on in the background while I read brewerfan, and 10 minutes later I'd turned it off. I expected a bad movie yet it still managed to disappoint.

The Skeleton Twins: Bill Hader is going to be a big star, just wait and see. He's absolutely incredible and Kristin Wiig is also very good. Not a happy movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's worth watching to see their two performances.

Birdman: It's an awesome movie if you're into the egos and disfunction and personalities of theater. Pretty philosophical and good camera work that really makes you feel like you're a part of the guts of the backstage. I don't know why they labeled this a "comedy." Edward Norton was great in this, as usual. Not my cup of tea, but I can definitely see why some people adore this movie.

The Interview: Garbage. The acting, the writing, the plot...just garbage.

I've been doing a fair amount of Netflixing.

One movie I really liked was Prisoners with Jackman and Gylenhaal. The description makes it look like a formula retread, but the acting and especially the writing are excellent.

A non-fiction that I liked was Black Fish. Its not particularly cheery either, but has lots of "wow" moments.

I've seen some good music on Netflix and its all been nuked with the exception of the Bob Marley special. Is that an old guy choice?

Formerly AKA Pete

Archived