Brewer Fanatic

Pujols injured in collision with Wilson Betemit (left forearm fracture, out ~6 weeks) [Latest: Activated after 2 weeks]

Verified Member
well, Braun is scratched for tonight with an "upper respiratory infection." I had an "upper respiratory infection" in February and it wasn't pleasant. It was basically pneumonia. Knocked me out for the count for several days.

Plus, you can die from it.

So, yeah, karma can certainly be nasty if it wanted to be.

Just being a technical nit-picker here, but you likely had a "lower respiratory infection" if you had pnemonia/influenza. URI infections can spread and lead to other things that are very nasty (which you can die from), but I'm not sure if anybody has ever actually died from a URI.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm no doctor, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for the fracture to heal after a couple weeks. The original "4-6 week" timeline was with rehab time included, and if they're just skipping the rehab to get him on the field quickly, it's not too fishy.

With that said, it is still surprising. It's possible he's rushing back too fast and is nowhere near ready to produce, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well it was reported as "fracture" which most of us equated as "broken", but a hairline fracture actually heals much faster as the entire bone doesn't have to fuse again. I wonder if there was some gamesmanship going on there?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Did Fielder get more votes than POO-holes, and if not, does that mean that POO-holes is the starter in the All-Star game?

We can only hope that he came back too early and it wasn't completely healed, causing him to reinjure it and be out even longer. I never wish major injury on anyone, but POO-holes is kind of an exception and I'm not talking about career-ending, I'm talking about being out just the last two months of the season.

Did Fielder get more votes than POO-holes, and if not, does that mean that POO-holes is the starter in the All-Star game?

We can only hope that he came back too early and it wasn't completely healed, causing him to reinjure it and be out even longer. I never wish major injury on anyone, but POO-holes is kind of an exception and I'm not talking about career-ending, I'm talking about being out just the last two months of the season.

Fielder passed him and won the starting gig outright. Votto is the backup, and Pujols was left off of the squad entirely.
Gruber Lawffices

Well it was reported as "fracture" which most of us equated as "broken", but a hairline fracture actually heals much faster as the entire bone doesn't have to fuse again. I wonder if there was some gamesmanship going on there?
I was wondering the same thing. They mentioned on ESPN that even immediately after the injury, Pujols did much better on the "squeezing" tests than expected, so the 4-6 weeks could have been wrong from the start. He's apparently been pain-free for at least a week, which makes you wonder if it was ever really a fracture at all.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If it was a fracture but with little or no accompanying muscle/connective tissue damage, being back is not an unheard of surprise. And unless he takes a direct blow, he probably isn't in danger of hurting himself again. Braun's situation should actually be a bit more worrisome, sad as it is to say.

Archived