Brewer Fanatic

Axford's been outstanding

Oldcity

He's been outstanding. He had a lot of skeptics who didn't think he'd be able to repeat last year's performance, but his numbers are extremely good. 12.35 Ks/9 makes his mediocre walk rate acceptable. The strikeout is such a huge weapon for him, and he's just about as good as there is in that department. In fact, Fangraphs has him as the seventh most valuable reliever in baseball so far.

Aside from that hiccup to start the season, and that stretch about a month ago where he was allowing a ton of baserunners (and still getting saves), he's been dominant. He should be one of the Brewers' many All-Stars.

His walk rate makes him volatile. His stikeout rate is nice but when you put guys on base any hits or HR are going to hurt more than if the bases are empty.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am now first becoming comfortable with the Axman again. It helps that he is throwing 97/98 again vs. 93 like he seemed to be earlier in the year. He looked absolutely overpowering in his saves vs StL last Sunday, and again yesterday.

His walk rate makes him volatile. His stikeout rate is nice but when you put guys on base any hits or HR are going to hurt more than if the bases are empty.
Amazingly, Ax has only given up 2 HR's in his career so far. I'm sure his HR/FB rate is bound to rise, but his career 2.88 xFIP is extremely good. He seems to have stretches where he loses some control, but overall he has been one of the best closers in the league the last couple years.

other relievers will show a better WHIP but are often prone to the occasional blowup inning. maybe Axford lets more guys on base, but he's still consistently in control. i get a lot less nervous with Axford on the mound than i would be with most any other reliever.

I love Ax because if he can locate his stuff he is virtually unhittable. It is also worth noting how his 2 blown saves happened: opening day, and the other one was like a 3-2 game where he gave up 1 run and we ended up winning the game. It's easy for me to give him a mulligan for opening day and count the second one as half of a blown save or something.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

He reminds me of Brian Wilson a few years ago when he had the ERA of like 6. Ax is one guy that doesn't make me nervous
I'd rather have Ax's facial hair.
Now this is crazy.
The beard has more power than you can even imagine

Gammons on the Red Sox post game show Saturday: "Axford has developed into one of the premier closers in baseball and he may be an All Star this year". That's not a word for word quote but it's essentially what he said. He went on to point out his outstanding stuff, a fastball that can touch 98 and a wicked curve to go with it.

I'm not the least bit concerned that he walks a few. As good a stuff as he has, it makes him more effective when hitters aren't quite sure where he's throwing it.

I said this in Saturday's in game thread, but I think a lot of Brewers fans are almost scared to embrace Axford after getting burned by Turnbow and Hoffman (to an extent). Axford has better stuff than Turnbow, and is only 28 years old. I think we should enjoy having a top flight closer right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He has far better command, but I wouldn't say he has better stuff. When Turnbow was on, he was operating the FB in the mid to upper 90s with wicked movement. And whatever that breaking ball was, man... when he could actually harness it, he was amazing. 'Good Turnbow' is still one of the best relievers I've seen pitch in person. Just nasty.

I don't want to dump on Axford, it's just that his FB is a similar velocity but much straighter, and I would also say T-Bow's slider/slurve was nastier than Axford's curve. But obviously what the Axford/T-Bow comparison proves is that it doesn't ultimately matter how nasty your stuff is if you can't command & locate it.

Oh, and on-topic for the thread, yes, Axford has been very good so far. I wish he could work some more clean innings, though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

His poor WHIP combined with good save percentage suggests one of two things:

-He is due for regression and blown saves when hitters start hitting with RISP

-He is able to 'bear down' when things get tough

The eye ball test strongly suggests the latter

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I have to imagine his WHIP has been falling as the season has progessed as well. His last couple of save opportunities have been pretty clean.

Axford is the least of our problems in the bullpen.

If the Brewers didn't already have so many all star locks (Fielder, Braun, Weeks); Axford might get consideration. But often times the crappy teams only viable option for their all start selection is a reliever so I have no doubt Axford will be left out.

I said this in Saturday's in game thread, but I think a lot of Brewers fans are almost scared to embrace Axford after getting burned by Turnbow and Hoffman (to an extent). Axford has better stuff than Turnbow, and is only 28 years old. I think we should enjoy having a top flight closer right now.
I'm scared of non-established closers in general. Axford has a great season last year but we are talking about 58 IP. That's not much to go by.

Maybe his need to throw his curve may be the culprit for the WHIP. Does anyone know if his WHIP is up when he can't throw the curve for strikes?

I don't want to dump on Axford, it's just that his FB is a similar velocity but much straighter, and I would also say T-Bow's slider/slurve was nastier than Axford's curve. But obviously what the Axford/T-Bow comparison proves is that it doesn't ultimately matter how nasty your stuff is if you can't command & locate it.

T-bow did have great stuff. He reminded me a little of Jaimie Wright in that they both had stuff that moved everywhere. Problem was, it was everywhere. Not to get all sentimental but now that all is said and done I still look back on T-Bow with affection.

Axford's fastball is straight but it is fast. So was Ben McDonald's and he seemed to get along fine (When healthyhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif.) But Both McDonald and Ax have a good change of pace curves. Perhaps when the hitter has to look for a lot of movement at one speed and no movement at a totally different speed the fastball's straightness is somewhat mitigated. Given the speed differential and this ability locate both pitches well enough to be getting on with I think the lack of action is somewhat mitigated. Whatever it is it seems to work.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He has far better command, but I wouldn't say he has better stuff. When Turnbow was on, he was operating the FB in the mid to upper 90s with wicked movement. And whatever that breaking ball was, man... when he could actually harness it, he was amazing. 'Good Turnbow' is still one of the best relievers I've seen pitch in person. Just nasty.

Oh, and on-topic for the thread, yes, Axford has been very good so far. I wish he could work some more clean innings, though.

Turnbow hit 97-98 with regularity in 05, but he did lose a little off it along with his command after the first couple months of 06. His command never was great, but it got worse in jams. Axford has shown he's able to keep an even keel in tight situations plus his command of his breaking stuff if far, far superior to Turnbow's. That's a huge difference.

Turnbow was a Mike Maddux creation. Maddux took a guy who up until then was never able to harness his ability and for about a year and a couple months was able to harness his talent.into very good performance. Eventually though the real Turnbow came back and he lost his command. I think Axford has the ability to figure things out on his own regardless of the pitching coach.

Thanks for the link, Toolive. Let's hope Greinke emerged from the table with all his ribs entact.

As for Axford, he has been outstanding and is deserving of an All Star nod for sure. The only thing that makes me a little nervous still is that he is a relief pitcher in Major League Baseball.

Turnbow was a Mike Maddux creation. Maddux took a guy who up until then was never able to harness his ability and for about a year and a couple months was able to harness his talent.into very good performance. Eventually though the real Turnbow came back and he lost his command. I think Axford has the ability to figure things out on his own regardless of the pitching coach.

I don't see much of a difference between the two prior to their breakouts other than Turnbow was a better prospect. But both struggled to control their stuff, and Turnbow's downfall happened while Maddux was still here, so I don't see that being a significant difference.

I obviously feel good about Axford right now, but the potential for an implosion like Turnbow is obviously there. Axford's still only about 90 innings into his Brewers career. Turnbow threw about 70 in his dominant '05 season.

The difference APPEARS to be Axford being a little better under pressure, but that was the case with Turnbow as well....until it wasn't.

And I absolutely agree with those who are saying Turnbow's stuff was just as good if not better. He threw harder(not much, but the point is he also had that upper 90's fastball) and his slider/curve, whatever it was, was absolutely unhittable. Marmol like when it was on.

The bigger point though is probably that pitchers don't often go through the extreme swings like Turnbow, yet we're still a bit snake bitten.

What would really be nice is if Wily Peralta could be used as a reliever and he could use his upper 90's fastball(or what I believe would be an upper 0's fastball as a reliever and the Brewers had some common sense with regard to Braddock and they would use him as a SU man.

Then there would be even less apprehension about Axford as you'd have a guy who is dominant pitching in front of him, and a guy with closers stuff working in the minors.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived