Brewer Fanatic

So now what... Marcum

monty57

This is probably jumping the gun, and hopefully Marcum won't miss any time after being pulled from tonight's game with an injury, but this has been my worst fear for a while. Ever since Estrada was put in the bullpen instead of being sent to the AAA rotation, we have been without a valid option if one of our starting pitchers goes down. I certainly hope Marcum is okay and makes his next start. Otherwise, we're probably either going to see someone like Sam Narron make a start or we're going to trot Estrada out for 3-inning bullpen busters until he's stretched out.

Am I missing something? Do we have any options if a starting pitcher goes down?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I would be very surprised if Marcum missed more than 3 starts. Asking 5-6 innings from your bullpen once every 5th day when your other starters are going 6-7 is not a big deal or all that uncommon. Especially when you can bounce a few guys between AAA and the majors. Roenicke uses about 3 relievers the way it is anyway - Loe, Axford, and a replacement when Loe has pitched the last 12 days.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Probably because throwing 44 pitches in 1 inning is about as stressful as throwing 130 in 7.

Keep him fresh for August and September please. Marcum our most vulnerable pitcher to wearing down IMO.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Hip flexor... he might not have to go on the DL, but he'll likely miss a start.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He's scheduled to go on Wed vs. the Rays, then we've got some off days to work with. Of course if Wolf only makes it one inning tomorrow they could pitch him on short rest.

Likely at least one Estrada start...then clear to July 3rd. That would be right at the end of a DL stint. Hopefully Shaun is ok by then.

He's scheduled to go on Wed vs. the Rays, then we've got some off days to work with. Of course if Wolf only makes it one inning tomorrow they could pitch him on short rest.

Likely at least one Estrada start...then clear to July 3rd. That would be right at the end of a DL stint. Hopefully Shaun is ok by then.

We'd actually need a 5th starter on July 2. Marcum would be eligible on July 3 if he went on the DL. So he'd have to miss 2 starts.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That was my thinking exctly Stevo. Now we have to either bring up one of our less-than-stellar AAA pitchers or let Estrada start, knowing he can only go around three innings. I don't think we have the bullpen right now to start Estrada, but that's probably the route we'll go. Roenicke's already poor bullpen management will be put to the test, as he'll have to decide who can go the day or two prior to Estrada's start, and the day or two after the start.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So who do the Brewers turn to? The Twins series is sandwiched between two days off, but they'll need at least one spot start. DiFelice is stretched out, but the Rays most likely would play six lefty hitters against him, and I wouldn't trust him more than once through the order against righties anyways.

How good is Narron against lefties? I've been very bearish on him in recent years, but I figure this might be a decent chance to try him out, simply for the lack of better options. Besides, he can hit pretty well (153 PA, .285/.333/.398/.732), so he'll fit in with Gallardo and Greinke.

Otherwise who else is there? Butler is an obvious no, De La Cruz might be an option, and so could Rivas, but Rivas' peripherals scare me a bit.

I don't know if he has ever done it before, but what about Wolf on short rest on the 22nd? Then he can go on the 28th and Marcum is not needed until July 2.

They have 2 days off in the next 5 after that, followed by 6 DH games. If it were to turn into a short start, bullpen game the days off and the DH games would give them a chance to recover.

Maybe Narveson can throw an inning, instead of bullpen on the 22nd?

If they don't move Wolf up to the 22nd or do some other shuffling of the rotation, Greinke pitches on the 21 and then not until the 28th. This may not be helpful to getting him to reach mid-season form.

He'd be pushing off with his right leg, though.
True, but even so, it's very difficult to pitch well when it hurts every time your plant leg lands. I had a minor hip flexor issue for a little while in high school and while I worked through it fine, it was a huge annoyance. Basically, I stretched the hell out of my hip/leg before I pitched to keep it feeling ok. It didn't feel as much painful as it did weak - when I planted, it hurt, but it also sort of felt like my leg just wanted to buckle. Like I said, it was minor, so I never had to sit out and I still pitched well, but if Marcum's is bad, I could see him missing time. Plus, it's the pros, so even if it's not bad, he still might have to miss a start.

... even so, it's very difficult to pitch well when it hurts every time your plant leg lands.

Sure. I was only commenting about the previous comment: saw he was struggling to get much push off the rubber

not intending to imply it is not a problem.

(though it is probably better having it be his left leg rather than his right)

Archived