Brewer Fanatic

Moneyball Movie

Schlitz001

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like one of those ESPN produced movies, only starring Brad Pitt instead of some has-been. I can't see a film like this doing well in the theaters, because it doesn't appeal to a wide audience like a comedy or action film would- or even a 'chick flick'.

My only question is who did they get to play Ken Macha (or is he pre-Moneyball)? I don't think Art Howe will be flattered by his portrayal.

This looks like one of those ESPN produced movies, only starring Brad Pitt instead of some has-been. I can't see a film like this doing well in the theaters, because it doesn't appeal to a wide audience like a comedy or action film would- or even a 'chick flick'.

My only question is who did they get to play Ken Macha (or is he pre-Moneyball)? I don't think Art Howe will be flattered by his portrayal.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/28746150_c762dc8a1c.jpg

It looks fairly amusing, although I also spotted a few cringe-inducing scenes in that trailer. Most glaringly, the scene in which Pitt whips a chair dramatically (in slow-motion?) down a hallway. We'll see. And I would refute those who say that Sorkin can do no wrong. Often times his shows/movies walk the dangerous line of being didactic/preachy and sometimes he falls down on the wrong side of that line. I would also have more confidence if an auteur like David Fincher were directing the movie, rather than Bennett Miller, who directed Capote. Which, in my opinion, was incredibly overrated.

I also wonder what this movie is going to be about. Yes, Beane helped to usher in a new era of baseball analysis, but ultimately his teams never succeeded in the playoffs. Saber-folks will say that playoffs are just a random crap-shoot. They will also say that the A's failure to win a championship does little to nullify the method used by the organization to achieve their regular-season success. Both statements can definitely be argued.

Yet the point still stands that the A's never won a championship, which is, of course, the entire point of this whole baseball thing. And as far as a movie narrative goes, there is no inherently dramatic climax. Which is fine, as long as the movie is set to focus on Beane's failures as well as his successes.

Perhaps a good closing shot would be to see Beane watching as the Red Sox, who he spurned previously, win the World Series. Not only win the World Series, but winning it in large part due to some of the methods which he helped to usher in.

i don't have the impression the movie is going to be anything revolutionary like the book was, just your run-of-the-mill man-against-the-odds movie. granted, i like those movies. where the book focused on a new statistical approach, i just don't get the impression we're going to get a discussion of anything beyond what OBP is.

if anything, this looks like it'll be a dramatic version of Major League, with the misfits suddenly making it good, and a bunch of DePodesta nerd jokes thrown in.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I must be on the outside looking in, wondering HOW this is going to be compelling cinema. I love baseball movies, but this, as someone else said (sorry for no quote) almost looks cringe worthy in a few spots, and that's just from a 2 minute trailer.

I thought the same thing as I watched this. Or it looked like one of the Saturday Night Live spoofs. I kept waiting for a laugh track.

Either way, it should be interesting to see. I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to seeing it, and there is absolutely no way that I will pay to see it in a theater. But off Netflix or something? Sure, why not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I also wonder what this movie is going to be about. Yes, Beane helped to usher in a new era of baseball analysis, but ultimately his teams never succeeded in the playoffs. Saber-folks will say that playoffs are just a random crap-shoot. They will also say that the A's failure to win a championship does little to nullify the method used by the organization to achieve their regular-season success. Both statements can definitely be argued.

Yet the point still stands that the A's never won a championship, which is, of course, the entire point of this whole baseball thing. And as far as a movie narrative goes, there is no inherently dramatic climax.

I can think of one famous baseball movie about a rags-to-riches team where the climax is a division-clinching win vs. New York....we never even find out what happened to them in the playoffs.

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/11/93/16/11931625_gal.jpg

Now admittedly, that was a comedy, but the point remains that you don't necessarily have to focus on the postseason to create a compelling story arc.

I thought that Harry Doyle recaps the post-season on his radio show at the beginning of Major League 2 during the opening credits. I only saw it once, though, and it was a while ago so my memory might be a bit fuzzy on the details.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm not going to judge a movie by its trailer, but this one was...uninspiring.

Really? I already planned on seeing the movie when it came out and after viewing this trailer, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Also, why is throwing a chair "cringe inducing"?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

i am looking forward to the movie, but looking back money ball is loosing its luster. the team won 1 playoff series under his watch and was deeply helping by having hudson, zito, and mulder at the beginning of their careers and didn't have to pay them much.

since they left, the athletics haven't done much. that being said i loved the book and will definitely see the movie once it is out.

Archived