Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-17 Brewers (Marcum) at Red Sox (Lackey) - [Brewers lose, 10-4]

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
okay, I'm getting piled on for my "we can only beat free-falling teams" comment. and probably deservedly so. We've won some games against good teams, I take it back. Nights like tonight... and last night... and wednesday night... make it hard to remember.

Verified Member
Tough spot for Morgan there. I'm not sure what's worse, getting doubled off first or the ball falling and getting thrown out with a force at second. I guess he could have read it better, but Ellsbury probably gets to that spot a lot sooner than a lot of CFers.

Nights like tonight... and last night... and wednesday night... make it hard to remember.

Actually yesterday and Wed, showed their ability to lose to bad teams http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Losing 1 game to the Red Sox isn't anything I'd normally worry about but I really wanted to win the opener because the next 2 pitching match ups make me worried about a losing streak.

Randy Wolf vs Jon Lester (unfavorable and we do poor against LHP)
Yovani Gallardo vs Tim Wakefield (can we hit a knuckle ball?)
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Losing 1 game to the Red Sox isn't anything I'd normally worry about but I really wanted to win the opener because the next 2 pitching match ups make me worried about a losing streak.

Randy Wolf vs Jon Lester (unfavorable and we do poor against LHP)
Yovani Gallardo vs Tim Wakefield (can we hit a knuckle ball?)
I have a feeling tomorrow will suck, but I feel pretty good about Sunday. Wakefield isn't that good, and we have Yo pitching.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Starter going 1 inning against the best lineup (arguably) in MLB. Throw in the fact that you're forced to use the 14th option this year in the bullpen, and what do you expect? Let's remember the pen was a strength for a stretch this year. Can be again when Sleepy, Saito, etc. return.

Thing about sweeping the Cards is that for weeks before that series there was a lot of skepticism around here about how the Cards were winning. Then the Brewers beat them (without MH in the STL lineup) and suddenly it's a big deal.

Like many seasons, maybe the dirty secret (or not-so-secret) is that you don't really need to be all that good to be in first place in the NL Central.

There is a lot to like about this Brewers team, but you have to put it all in context.

Alcides had his 6th multi hit game in his last 7 tonight, and looks like he is finally getting the bat going. Sure hope Zack starts dominating at some point this year, or that trade could end up looking really bad long term. I will say Plush makes me miss Cain a lot less. Praise god for that trade.

Anyway, back to the game. GO BATS!!

Alcides had his 6th multi hit game in his last 7 tonight, and looks like he is finally getting the bat going. Sure hope Zack starts dominating at some point this year, or that trade could end up looking really bad long term. I will say Plush makes me miss Cain a lot less. Praise god for that trade.

Pretty sure Escobar won't be the piece that we regret trading, but never know I guess. I'm guessing that we won't regret the trade at all though in the end.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Pretty sure Escobar won't be the piece that we regret trading, but never know I guess. I'm guessing that we won't regret the trade at all though in the end.

Yeah, I think if there ends up being regret it will be with Odorizzi. I am guessing the same as you, because Greinke's numbers point toward a major turn around at some point this season.

Thing about sweeping the Cards is that for weeks before that series there was a lot of skepticism around here about how the Cards were winning. Then the Brewers beat them (without MH in the STL lineup) and suddenly it's a big deal.

Like many seasons, maybe the dirty secret (or not-so-secret) is that you don't really need to be all that good to be in first place in the NL Central.

There is a lot to like about this Brewers team, but you have to put it all in context.

On our winning streak we actually missed a few good players.

Matt Holiday

Buster Posey

Hanley Ramirez

are a few guys that could have changed the outcome of a game or two

nights like tonight, make me want to drink.

nights like tonight make me wish it had started raining before we wasted an outing having Dillard pitch against a pile of lefties.

Is it me or have there been several questionable managerial calls:

1st) Take out Marcum after the 1st inning - If it turns out he just wasn't feeling good and didn't want to risk injury then I'm fine with it. If RR just took him out because he had one bad inning than I have a problem with it.

2nd) Bringing in Herrera in a 2 run ball game. If Herrera was pitching well then i'd understand but since he did terrible against the cubs and the Sox and a better hitting team i just don't get it.

3rd) The infield in with runners on 1st and 3rd with no-one out...Counsell would have turned two if he weren't playing in.

Also, I looked on baseball reference and since 2005 only 7 of 78 teams have won after they've taken out their starter after 1 IP and 2 or more R's given up...looks like it will be 7 of 79 after tonight.

Edit: Left Hip flexor strain for marcum...

Archived