Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-16 Brewers (Greinke) at Cubs (Garza) - [Brewers lose, 12-7]

Mr. Kottaras just put a stinky paper bag on COBrewfan's doorstep, lit it on fire, and rang the bell.

Just to be clear, I hope he does well. But I am not going to get excited about a guy hitting .200 over his time here. But I will take the bag on the doorstep.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cubs are 1-7 this year when the wind is blowing out, average of 10.9 total runs per game.

They have that stat on WGN or something? Because I don't even know where an average fan could look that up.

Any IGT is going to have it's share of complaining, but it has seemed to be up this year. I'm chalking it up to expectations I guess. But I will say, we just spent 3 pages arguing about the quality of our backup catcher options, so maybe it would be good to not focus on all the negative stuff all the time.

Also, let's watch the taunting of other posters please.

Mr. Kottaras just put a stinky paper bag on COBrewfan's doorstep, lit it on fire, and rang the bell.

Just to be clear, I hope he does well. But I am not going to get excited about a guy hitting .200 over his time here. But I will take the bag on the doorstep.

Well yeah, if you're using batting average to rate an offensive player I can see why you don't like Kottaras. Makes your other posts make much more sense.

Were you excited about Nieves' .140 average then? Like I said, just because he hits .200 doesn't mean he's terrible. He's a backup catcher who has power and an OBP 100 points higher than his average. Most starting catchers are below average offensively so I don't know what you'd expect out of a backup. He's better than Nieves and that's all that matters. Nobody is acting like he's our savior, he's just an upgrade. And every team should be looking to upgrade, no matter how significantly.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The Cubs are 1-7 this year when the wind is blowing out, average of 10.9 total runs per game.

They have that stat on WGN or something? Because I don't even know where an average fan could look that up.

I'm going to guess he got it at NorthSide Baseball forum. They have a poster over there in their IGTs (Fred Hornkohl) who is insane with the random statistics.

Community Moderator
I think it's a case of getting too much of the plate. His LD% is a ridiculous 25.8% coming into the game.

I agree that he's gotten away with a few gopher balls. But it's not as big of a deal when you avoid walks. He might have more trouble when NL teams see him a few times, but his career numbers suggest that the LD% will drop back to around 20%.

For what it's worth, Curt Schilling had a fine career with a 22% LD%. In 2001 it was 24%--and he finished 2nd in Cy Young voting with a 7.5:1 K/BB ratio.

Well, I guess Kottaras needs to hit another HR now.

Gamecast is calling it a wild pitch. Was that on Greinke or Kottaras?

Seriously Zack I had your back earlier! No lead is ever safe in this series. Why is there a rule that any ball the Cubs put in play today is a hit

Greinke is throwing some terrible pitches and some great pitches today. There doesn't seem to be any in-between.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

This team looks lost today. Can't block balls in the dirt, can't field grounders in the outfield...sheesh...was there a drunken party last night?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Well, I guess Kottaras needs to hit another HR now.

Gamecast is calling it a wild pitch. Was that on Greinke or Kottaras?

It was a wild pitch, but Kottaras should have been able to block it better. Plus, had Kottaras been able to find the ball right away, I don't think the runner would've scored, as it didn't bounce very far.

Archived