Brewer Fanatic

Braddock optioned to Nashville, Herrera DFA'd -- Latest: Herrera still on 40-man roster

battlekow
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We named our firstborn Daniel Herrera after his great-grandfathers (paternal - first name, maternal - middle name). He is upset that his namesake is so lame. When he heard how short DRH was he wanted to see a picture, so I directed him to mlb.com, where there are many videos of baseballs leaving the yard.

Haudricourt:

The Yankees have lots of left-handed hitters and switch-hitters, so there's a chance that left-handed reliever Zach Braddock also will be recalled from Nashville. Roenicke noted that Braddock's last outing was not a good one but admitted having a lefty in the pen such as Braddock could be beneficial.

"His (required) 10 days (in the minors) are up Sunday," said Roenicke. "We've been talking about it. He could be in the bullpen on Tuesday (in New York)."

Roenicke said Braddock was doing well with his sleep disorder/tardiness issues that led to his demotion to Nashville.

Herrera cleared waivers and was outrighted to Nashville yesterday.
this link says he was optioned: http://milwaukee.brewers....ear=2011&team_id=158

the brewers' 40-man roster pages still lists herrera. he had at least one option remaining, and the roster was at 38 when we learned he was designated for assignment. i couldn't figure out why the brewers didn't option him . . . in spite of his terrible impression left.

Herrera cleared waivers and was outrighted to Nashville yesterday.
this link says he was optioned: http://milwaukee.brewers....ear=2011&team_id=158

the brewers' 40-man roster pages still lists herrera. he had at least one option remaining, and the roster was at 38 when we learned he was designated for assignment. i couldn't figure out why the brewers didn't option him . . . in spite of his terrible impression left.

Hmm. Some places have him being outrighted, which is certainly consistent with being designated for assignment, which removes a player from the 40-man roster. Herrera couldn't be optioned after being DFA'd unless he was added back to the 40-man in between, which would be odd. I'll see if I can get clarification. Either way, there's plenty of room on the 40-man roster.

EDIT: Thanks for reporting back from McCalvy. I don't really understand the transaction(s), but whatever.

From Cot's:

If the player is not claimed (clears waivers), the club may option him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, though he must continue to be paid according to the terms of his contract. A player may be assigned outright to the minors only once in his career without his permission. Thereafter, he may either 1) reject the assignment and become a free agent, or 2) accept the assignment and become a free agent at the end of the season if he’s not back on the 40-man roster. Additionally, player with 3 years of major league service may refuse an outright assignment and choose to become a free agent, regardless of whether he has been sent outright to the minors previously. A player with 5 years of major league service time who refuses an outright assignment is entitled to the money due according to the terms of his contract.

To reiterate the exchange Toby and I just had on Twitter: The only way it makes sense to option a player who has already cleared waivers is if you're concerned he'll reject the outright assignment, something Herrera did not have the right to do since he had not been previously outrighted (though I thought he had). Regardless, even had Herrera that right, the Brewers could have just optioned him originally; designating him for assignment and clearing the 40-man spot temporarily served no purpose. Basically the Brewers took him off the 40-man roster for a couple days for no particular reason.

I figured it out. Because Herrera debuted over three years, he had to clear optional (that's what they're called; they're mandatory) waivers before being optioned. In order to use his roster spot immediately rather than wait for him to clear those waivers, the Brewers designated him for assignment.

Archived