Brewer Fanatic

Kottaras' contract purchased from Nashville, Nieves outrighted & accepts assignment

And That
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know George is probably an upgrade but not much. Awful on defense and hits just as bad. Do the people who wanted this for so long forget that? This is not big news seeing Lucroy plays most of the time anyways. George's .200 average is exciting news and Yuni, Casey, and Gomez all stink and should not be on the team? Interesting.

Kottaras was raking in AAA, way above anything he'd done at that level in the past. It's quite possible that he's improved as a hitter and if so, he'll hit well above the .200 average. He's always had patience and some power. Nieves was not the second coming of I-Rod defensively either.

With Lucroy slumping at the plate, I would suspect Kottaras to see more playing time than Nieves.

It's telling that with so many catchers out with injuries that Nieves cleared waivers. Hopefully, he'll be number 2 behind Rivera now at Nashville.

Thank you, [Deity, natural force, or poetic construct of one's choice]. I agree with X that Boggs for Kotsay should be next, but Kotsay hasn't been anywhere near world-historically bad, which seems to be the Brewers' present standard for dumping veteran bench guys. Now, Yuni . . . Yuni is world-historically bad, or darn close (which btw was about as hard to predict as recidivism by Lindsay Lohan). So what's the standard for dumping veteran starters? Maybe if he robbed a bank or something . . .

Jeez I hope they cleared this with Randy Wolf first. You know RR wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings.
Again, Kottaras was Wolf's catcher last year, and is his good friend. Wolf had nothing to do with Nieves being on the roster. Only the fact that Lcuroy isn't catching him, and really that's all Roenicke's decision too.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Jeez I hope they cleared this with Randy Wolf first. You know RR wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings.
Again, Kottaras was Wolf's catcher last year, and is his good friend. Wolf had nothing to do with Nieves being on the roster. Only the fact that Lcuroy isn't catching him, and really that's all Roenicke's decision too.
I thought it was obvious that Pack Attack was being sarcastic, blue font or no blue font
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I dunno about that. A lot of people were still blaming Nieves on Wolf in the IGTs.

I think this has more to do with him not liking to pitch to Lucroy than wanting to pitch to Nieves. He probably would've chosen to pitch to Marcus Hanel over Lucroy if it was possible.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

This just had to happen; Nieves flat-out can't hit.

The "well, you shouldn't be happy because there are other holes and this isn't a huge upgrade argument" seems as vapid as "that other kid did something naughty first". So what? The team already had a player who's better than a guy who had no business on an MLB roster and they finally corrected it. Should there be no excitement from fans of a team in first place that the front office got rid of a junk player? Should nobody be happy if Betancourt is dumped for an average SS because Gomez and McGehee are still hitting poorly? I've never read claims that this is the ticket to the playoffs, just a no-brainer intraorganizational move.

The thing is that Kottaras was an obvious replacement for Nieves. Once you get into the question of replacing Betancourt and/or McGehee, the situations become much more murky. Still, I'm glad Kottaras is getting another shot in the bigs. I hope I never see Nieves in a Brewers uniform again.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member
I have no faith in Kottaras behind the plate, and I have no faith in Nieves beside the plate. Since I only had moderate faith in Nieves behind the plate I support this move, but I shudder to think of Kottaras trying to catch Axford in the ninth with guys on base.

I have no faith in Kottaras behind the plate, and I have no faith in Nieves beside the plate. Since I only had moderate faith in Nieves behind the plate I support this move, but I shudder to think of Kottaras trying to catch Axford in the ninth with guys on base.

I highly doubt there would be a situation like this (other than injury). If Kottaras was starting, Lucroy would probably come in. If Kottaras pinch-hit for the pitcher or someone other than Lucroy, Lucroy would still probably stay in the game. Although I guess you never know with Roenicke.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It sounds like there's a chance we could see Nieves back in a Brewers uniform again this season. From Roenicke:

"We do stress defense with the backup catcher -- I think that’s probably the most important thing," manager Ron Roenicke said. "But there’s also a certain amount of offense that you need to contribute. We don’t feel that Wil is a .160, .170 hitter. He’s not a .300 hitter, either; he was here for defense.

"But we still need to have some offense there. We need to try to get his swing back. It’s very difficult to do when you’re only catching every five days. Hopefully he’ll go back and get his swing back, and then we’ll see what happens."

I really hope this is just manager-speak but I'm not so sure. I can just picture Kottaras hitting like .225 (.325/.400) with Nieves hitting something like .275 (.295/.300) in the minors and Roenicke thinking that Nieves found his stroke back. Then Nieves will be back up, only to suck it up again. With Roenicke mentioning batting average, I really wonder if he even takes on-base or slugging into account.

Archived